Home Forums Chat Forum 1 to 2 gang socket change.

• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 1 to 2 gang socket change.
  • J273
    Free Member

In my hallway I have a 1 gang socket which I want to change to 2. I’ve bought one of them double face plate conversions allowing me to screw into the single box without the need of chiseling out a new box in the wall.

Seems a simple enough job but after taking the 1 gang faceplate off I’ve noticed there’s 2 earths 2L and 2N and after chasing it I’ve found that the socket in my kitchen is connected to this. Am I still ok to to use the double socket converter with the 2 of each connected to the terminals?

Many thanks

twicewithchips
    Free Member

yes

joshvegas
    Free Member

IANAE

But

Two sets of wires is normal for a socket on a  ring main.

You’ll be fine swapping.

J273
    Free Member

Cool thanks guys. Thought I’d ask before I go ahead and change it.

martinhutch

after chasing it I’ve found that the socket in my kitchen is connected to this

That’s a lot of chiselling. :)

It will be fine.. Like for like swap.

J273
    Free Member

Just got round to doing this today. Apologies i should of said 2 earths 3 live and 3 Neutral. The one pair going into the kitchen.

Im guessing this will still be ok?

Thanks

DT78
    Free Member

are you sure? is there a third earthbound to the back box?

it sounds like a spur off a ring but you should have 3 of each.

also sounds like you aren’ t too experienced.  make sure you isolate the circuit.  a simple plug tester will tell you it is safe to rewire

joshvegas
    Free Member

I repeat my caveat.

But.

Three means you have a spur. If the kitchen one has only one live and neutral that’s the spur.

It’s still a swap though so crack on.

DT78
    Free Member

If the kitchen socket doesn’t have an earth it’s a bit dodgy

nickjb
    Free Member

It’d be more than a bit dodgy. All wires in and out should be 3 core including an earth. If that’s not the case then you need to do some extra investigation and updating.

J273
    Free Member

I’ve fitted it and it works fine. Ill have to check the kitchen one for an earth. I’m guessing there isn’t one as It’s been put in afterwards as the cables routed externally under the stairs and then into the kitchen. I only found out that’s where it went when I decorated and noticed it had been chased in the wall to the socket and then routed externally under the stairs.

linchpin
    Free Member

It might be that two earth cables are in one earth sheath so just look like one.  But you must have an earth.  It’ll still work without but could be dangerous.  Buy a plug in socket tester as above which will test all the connections for about a tenner.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I would check that the kitchen ring isn’t completely run as a spur off the socket you are changing. It might just be the one socket in the kitchen that is on the spur but some numpty could have been lazy and made the whole kitchen a spur which would not be very safe.

DT78
    Free Member

I’m slowly rewiring my current place.  I had 4 sockets daisy chained together.  Luckily upstairs so not running anything of any decent wattage, but still a risk.

Personnaly I would not feel safe using that socket if you think it isn’t earthed.  I’d disconnect the wire with only the live and neutral and then test if the socket you think is a spur is working or not, with the plug tester.  Especially if the socket is in a kitchen.  Also if it is a metal faceplate, with no earth get it switched to a plastic one.

random thought, did you have any up lighters in the house?  Only time I’ve experienced wires with no earth are on lighting circuits.  Someone could have taken a feed from the socket for a wall light.

sounds like you should probably get the place checked over.  One sign of a bodge generally means more hidden….as I’m finding out…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘1 to 2 gang socket change.’ is closed to new replies.