Home Forums Bike Forum 1 1/8” straight steerer running a tapered fork ?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • 1 1/8” straight steerer running a tapered fork ?
  • TheSlider
    Free Member

Using a 1 1/8” to 1 1/2” cup. Anyone tried this and where can you get hold of an adapter ?

dhrider
    Free Member

You need a reducer crown race. Nukeproof make one for their 1.5” cups to reduce to 1 1/8”
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/nukeproof-reducer-crown-race/rp-prod92344

Aidy
    Free Member

You need a reducer crown race. Nukeproof make one for their 1.5” cups to reduce to 1 1/8”

That’s the other way around, right? To run a straight steerer fork in a tapered headtube?

I think there’s a very limited number of frames which have an integrated straight headset that you can run an external cup, and not guaranteed to work with all forks (no standard for how tapered a tapered fork is afaik).

ratherbeintobago

Thought this would only work with a 44mm head tube (which is integrated for 1⅛” and external for 1½”)?

ta11pau1

We need to know the head tube size, sounds like it was using a straight 1 1/8th steerer and OP now wants to use a tapered steerer fork.

Means nothing without the headtube size…

stevextc
    Free Member

Either Hope or Canecreek .. EC44 external lower.
    Hope adds 12mm to stack CC adds 10mm

ratherbeintobago

@stevextc Not necessarily. @ta11pau1 has it right.

dovebiker

Fine if its EC44 (44mm ID) but doubt you can’ll find one for a regular 1 1/8″, usually 34mm ID as it’ll foul the fork steerer which is 38mm diameter

Edited

TheSlider
    Free Member

Mmm, there is a bike on eBay using a Rock Shox tapered fork on a Whyte hardtail with a 1 1/8” straight steerer. It’s a 100mm travel fork but I’d like to go longer on mine but when you look at tapered forks I can’t see how it fits just by putting a small adapter down the lower part. Are some tapers different as Aidy says ? Knowing bikes that’s probably right

Daffy

So far as I’m aware there is no adaptor which will allow you to run a tapered fork in a bike with a headtube designed to take a standard 1.125 (1.1/8th) headset.

To make it work, the lower headset cup would have to be enormous (height) to offset the taper and even then, lots of forks have different taper ratios. There is no standard as to how gradual the taper should/must be.

For a specific fork, you could likely have something made, but it would almost certainly raise the bottom of the head tube by 40mm+ And ruin the geometry.

joebristol

Is it that polished silver one ending soon with Rebas on it? No detail of fork steerer / travel, but if it is it all looks straight steerer to me – no tapered involved. I don’t believe even with an external cup that you can run tapered on 1 1/8th. You need a 44mm straight headtube or a proper tapered one.

dovebiker

The only way you can do it is with an external bearing cup on the lower like a Hope EC44/40 if you have a 44mm ID head tube.

bigyan
    Free Member

You can press out a 1 1/2 steerer tube and fit an adapter and 1 1/8 steerer to a 1 1/2 fork crown.

kelvin

Slider… the steerer is the bit built into the fork that fits inside the headtube which is the bit built into the frame. The headset is the interface between the steerer and headtube. The vital bit of information is the size of the headtube… we can then tell you if there is a headset that allows you to fit a tapered steerer inside that headtube.

TheSlider
    Free Member

On eBay it’s a Whyte 604 with a rock Shox recon fork.
    Cheers kelvin, yeah I know what a steerer is I didn’t really word the title right did I but you know what I mean.
    You’re right Daffy, when you look at some tapered forks it looks impossible to have a lower cup that would make the fitting right. Think I’ll look for a Whyte with a tapered head tube.
    Thanks guys for all the help

stevextc
    Free Member

So far as I’m aware there is no adaptor which will allow you to run a tapered fork in a bike with a headtube designed to take a standard 1.125 (1.1/8th) headset.

Well except the ones I listed earlier… but ignore the fact I’ve done it.

To make it work, the lower headset cup would have to be enormous (height) to offset the taper and even then, lots of forks have different taper ratios.

As I said earlier 12mm for Hope and 10mm for CC

There is no standard as to how gradual the taper should/must be.

Depends on your headtube length… All Rockshox alloy are the same … (longest taper) then Fox then rockshox carbon is the shortest taper.

For a specific fork, you could likely have something made, but it would almost certainly raise the bottom of the head tube by 40mm+ And ruin the geometry.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HBZsEyhn6e1rKG118

honourablegeorge

stevextc

Well except the ones I listed earlier… but ignore the fact I’ve done it.

I’d be interested to know how you fitted that 44mm headset into a 34mm headtube

kelvin

Whyte 604

I think that’s a 34mm headtube and takes some kind of integrated headset… so that’ll be straight 1 1/8th steerer only.

Edit: maybe not… looks like the integrated headset is an FSA No.10… which possibly means it’s a 44mm ID head tube… time for you to go and ask Whyte…

stevextc
    Free Member

As per initial post it’s EC44
    (like the FSA 10 on the 604).

damascus
    Free Member

I agree with @stevextc

A couple of years ago I bought a newish cube frame of @ton for a bargain £50! Thanks ton! It was a great bike! Before it sacrificed its self for my scandal👍

It never even crossed my mind that it wouldn’t be a tapered steerer as it was a 2017/18 model.

From memory it was internal headset so put in a bottom hope headset mentioned above and kept the original top headset.

The top of the headset fits into the frame and sits 12mm external with a 44mm for a tapered steerer. Hopefully the pictures explain this better.

I ran a pair of genesis tarn rigid tapered forks on the frame.

TheSlider
    Free Member

It never stops amazing me how technically minded some of you guys are. Brilliant ! I’ve NEVER had a question unanswered on here. Thanks guys, I love you

stevextc
    Free Member

@The Slider
    Still measure it…
    I’d even take out the current forks and check they didn’t put in the reducer unless you find someone with a same year 604. It wouldn’t surprise me if they just used the same headtube but fitted the reducer.

Both Hope and CC have very detailed measurements on their websites. I’ve known people take the CC one which is longer inside and file/linish off 1-2mm… (on kids bikes)

I just ordered it and checked once it was in my hands… if it hadn’t fit I’d have just returned it.

Daffy

@steveXTC – So that’s a 44mm inner diameter headtube not a 34.9mm inner diameter headtube that was designed solely for 1.125 forks. A 44mm heatube is a recognised standard for tapered forks. My Litespeed has a 44mm headtube and a Chris King inset 7 allows for tapered forks.

At the time I posted, we didn’t know the bike and this type of question usually refers to 34.9mm for which there is no solution.

All my comments hold true for 34.9mm.

lovewookie

it’s this one?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Whyte-604-Custom-Built-Mountain-Bike-Rockshox-Recon-Air-forks-Sram-27-5-Fat-Tyre/392932366719?hash=item5b7c98197f:g:AvEAAOSwwBZfVKuj

it’s using a lower EC44 cup to fit the tapered forks.

don’t think the bike was designed that way, it takes an internal headset, but there’s enough headset cup insert for an EC44 so it will work, albeit slacken the geometry by half a degree or so.

docrobster
    Free Member

That’s clearly a 44mm headtube
    ZS top, EC lower cups Fitted
    The spec for a whyte 604 lists the headset as fsa number 10
    Which is integrated for a straight steerer fork in 44 headtube

So someone has added an external lower cup to accommodate a tapered steerer

If in doubt refer to the hope guide

https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/documents/HOPEHEADSETS2011Web.pdf

Old school 34mm id headtubes for 1 1/8 straight steerers are skinny by comparison, and would need external cups top and bottom for straight steerer forks.

squirrelking
    Free Member

At the time I posted, we didn’t know the bike

Exactly, so Steve wasn’t wrong. He was responding to:

ZS44 is designed to take a standard 1″ 1/8 headset, it’s just a different standard to external.

A 44mm heatube is a recognised standard for tapered forks.

Semi-integrated came along years before tapered was even a thing, around the same time as Onepointfive. It’s possible to convert them but that’s not the same as being designed to run them. The design intent is that they run bigger head tubes and zero stack. Probably before Steve got his XTC.

Daffy

A semi integrated headset is not a standard 1 1/8th headset. THE headset standard was external cup 1.1/8th. The original question asked about a 1.1/8th cup to 1.1/2 cup. When asking about a 1/1/8th cup, you tend to think of Aheadsets – as @aidy said Zs44 frames weren’t around very long as we quickly moved to tapered and semi-integrated. and as ratherbeintobago stated a 44mm ID headtube would allow it to work.

I didn’t say Steve was wrong, I said that in the context of the original question and the information provided, that there was no such thing as a 1.1/8th cup to 1.1/2 cup. I was thinking about ec34.9 headsets, not ZS44 headsets.

stevextc
    Free Member

The design intent is that they run bigger head tubes and zero stack. Probably before Steve got his XTC.

Don’t even go there into OD and OD2..

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Nukeproof do a cheap 44mm external cup on CRC. £10 last time I looked.

As said, tapered steerer on a 1 1/8 (34mm) headtube is not possible. You need a 44mm headtube (or bigger).

squirrelking
    Free Member

THE headset standard was external cup 1.1/8th.

Emphasis being on was, once semi integrated and integrated came out it was anyone’s game. Even my hybrid has a ZS44 straight steerer.

Anyway, this is a stupid argument I have no idea why I started, I’m outta here.

stevextc
    Free Member

Even my hybrid has a ZS44 straight steerer.

Anyway, this is a stupid argument I have no idea why I started, I’m outta here.

@The Slider
    You just need a EC44 as per Hope or Cane Creek… assuming you don’t remove the fork and find they fitted a reducer anyway. Unless the headtube is incredibly short you shouldn’t run into issues with the taper length… it was “just a fit” on the kids bike because its a 24″ frame designed to take a 26″ fork so the headtube is correspondingly short.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘1 1/8” straight steerer running a tapered fork ?’ is closed to new replies.