Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Would you move to Dumfries?
  • nickc

Been there once or twice ( seven stands holiday) would you live and work in Southern Scotland?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yes, but not in Dumfries. Are you doing a survey.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes, but not in Dumfries.

This

thestabiliser
    Free Member

SOme people do, right now as we speak.

zippykona

Got married nearby. The town seemed a dump.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Yes, but not in Dumfries. Are you doing a survey.

+another

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Dumfries is a dump. Dumfries-shire seems nice enough with lots of riding.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dumfries is a dump.

It’s a provincial town, and as a result has similar problems to many towns of it’s size. It’s not a dump. If it’s a dump your looking for, try Warrington.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Agreed, its not a dump, its like most small towns. If you think that’s a dump you need to take a tour of some towns in Ayrshire.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would live there but would prefer the rural outskirts

user-removed
    Free Member

Yeah. Not that bad. Just has a village mentality. My views on the place are coloured by my three week sojourn there photographing potential windfarm sites. After many nights sleeping in a one man tent with a dog, Dumfries looked pretty good.

MoreCashThanDash

Theoretically yes, if tbe right job was there. Or somewhere nearby, at least.

Ask me again after tbe referendum thing, though. Whichever way they vote up there, it may affect my decision

nickc

Hadn’t given the referendum issue much thought…if not Dumfries, and the the couple of times I was there didn’t inspire me I have to admit, then where?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Kippford. Lovely wee coastal village, good pub, 5 minutes cycle from Dalbeattie, 30 minutes? from Mabie.

Lovely.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Great pub, in my top 5 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Stanraer. Just kidding. Seriously, don’t.

sas78

No, and I was brought up in Annan.

I actually think Dumfries has improved a lot in the last ten/fifteen years, it was a hole back in the early/mid 90’s. Carlisle is a decent small city, if you can stomach the accent and a bit of aggro if you happen to be from North of the Border. Not that far away either and has a train link to Dumfries etc…

I would suggest that if you are moving to the area but have family up north/ down south then being on the Lochmaben/Lockerbie side nearer the M74 might be better for a quick get away, Lochmaben’s quite a nice wee place, Lockerbie too.

Further the other direction Castle Douglas and Kirkcubright are nice.

Northwind

I would but then it’s my sort of place, I’m not a city person. I don’t think I’d want to be too far from the motorway though just for getting elsewhere.

onehundredthidiot

Not Dumfries. Outside yes, south of Scotland yes.

andyecc
    Free Member

I moved to Dumfries about 10 years ago. Not quite in the town itself but a small village a few miles outside.
    Mostly it’s been a great move for me and my family. We occasionally miss the things a bigger city can offer but the easy access to fantastic countryside, good schools and an easy commute to work more than offset anything we miss about being near a bigger city.
    The weather can be a bit damp which gets a bit depressing on occasion but when the weather is good the area is just fantastic.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I grew up in Dumfries and Galloway, a good bit further west than Dumfries and I would live there again, though I’d probably want to be closer to Dumfries for ease of travelling in the future. Like everyone else I’d rather not live in the town, but near by.

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

I live in Castle Douglas it is nice ,I like the cool antique restorers workshop oh and Next Level bikes oh and The Sulwath Brewery oh and The King Arms

Leku
    Free Member

My brother and parents live there (but I never have).

Short answer – No.
    Long answer – No.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

thestabiliser – Member
    Stanraer. Just kidding. Seriously, don’t.

POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

You shouldn’t even joke about things like that 😆

back2basics
    Free Member

@Nobeerinthefridge – i’ve lived in both and agree 100%

Surrounding area’s are nice, although roads are not too great for road riding in terms of tarmac quality!
    but routes and views are excellent,
    only other issue is that main A75 road out to the east that you have to ALWAYS travel just to get out of the place.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

only other issue is that main A75 road out to the east that you have to ALWAYS travel just to get out of the place.

I don’t find the A75 too bad unless you catch a traffic from the ferry. It’s much worse going west to east.

Surrounding area’s are nice, although roads are not too great for road riding in terms of tarmac quality!
    but routes and views are excellent,

True, you get used to having your teeth shaken out on some stretches, but the roads are very quite and like you said, the scenery is lovely.

martymac

born in dumfries, lived in annan.
    moved away a long time ago but still have relatives scattered between annan and stranraer.
    worse places to live, better places to live.

ronniethescot
    Free Member

I grew up in D&G, MTBing around there is great.

Best thing about Dumfries, is the £20 bags of brown, reasonably sized and so freely available.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Live in Dumfries, well – just on the outskirts, work is normally either in Annan or Moffat.

There was a good thread over on another forum that I stuck a longer reply on (http://forums.sv650.org/showpost.php?p=2958384&postcount=45 if you’re interested) but all in all, it’s pretty good around here – depending what you’re looking for.

If it’s fine dining and entertainment, you’re going to be mighty hacked off and bored very quickly. If you want low house prices, decent enough facilities and the option of empty countryside within a 10 minute cycle (in ANY direction) from the middle of town, then yeah – it’s all good.

Out of interest, what’s the job? Is it based in Dumfries itself?

ronniethescot
    Free Member

Pharmaceutical or distribution?

Trekster

Life long Dumfriesshire resident. I live a couple of miles out of town, country boy before getting married etc….
    andyecc lives in my old school masters house, my dad lives just along the road from him 😆
    I know lots of people who have moved from down South and are happy to still be here as per andyecc.
    My kids live in Carlisle and as someone above alluded to the abuse she gets from some parents at her school is as bad as what some southerners think they might be on the receiving end of up here. She is a primary school teacher in an area classed as “deprived” . Sons kids go to a school which is not much better going by some of the sights I saw last week when picking up grand kids 🙄
    Everywhere, village, town or city has its issues.
    Given the number of new houses being built in and around town and villages there would seem to be plenty of money around.
    All depends on what you and your family are looking for in life and what you make of it 💡
    As my daughter says once she had been in Carlisle for a while it has become as boring and small minded as her home town 🙄

When people were relocating from one of my works factory closures near Blackpool the areas chosen were Thornhill or Dalbeattie at the time due to schools being good and house prices.

rOcKeTdOg

Dumfries has 3 branches of Greggs, I think that says it all

Trekster

Seen 2, where’s the 3rd?
    Lots of takeaways
    Lots of pubs
    Lots of cafés
    Lots of banks
    Lots of charity shops(lowest average wage in Scotland!)
    Lots of charity shops
    Lots of seagulls
    Same shop chains as any other high street
    Council has to “save” £30mil over the next 3yrs so nothing is going to get better soon!
    New hospital being built
    Lots of Range Rovers
    Loads of BMWs, Audis
    Good number of Porches
    A few Aston Martins, Ferarris and Masseratis
    We have rally champions
    There is a good cricket scene/clubs
    Good squash club
    Good rowing club
    Good table tennis club
    4 people from the area in the Commonwealth games inc mtb
    Various running clubs
    Championship DH course

What are the nae Sayers looking for?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Dear god there are at least two people from Annan on here. That can never be a good thing.

tomaso
    Free Member

Castle Douglas and Sulwath Brewery – end of thread.

Or Kirkcudbright if you fancy something more arty and seaside

Trekster

wanmankylung – Member
    Dear god there are at least two people from Annan on here. That can never be a good

Son works near Annan and I work with a few people from there. I will be taking grand kids to the chippy on the way up from Carlisle 😆

tomaso – Member
    Castle Douglas and Sulwath Brewery – end of thread.

Or Kirkcudbright if you fancy something more arty and seaside
    lots of nice villages if you don’t want to be in a town.

martymac

**** aw wrang wi the muckle toon.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No, what says it all is that you even bothered to google that. Bawbag.

Trekster

One on the High St and the original one in Munches St. Where’s the other one?
    How many in Glasgow, Edin etc?

rOcKeTdOg

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    No, what says it all is that you even bothered to google that. Bawbag.

Or I could have been in every branch 🙂

Is the little pizza place opposite the river?

But your reply does speak volumes too, well done

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Would you move to Dumfries?’ is closed to new replies.