Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Worst Winter for decades imminant?
  • Spaceman
    Free Member

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/436170/Worst-winter-for-decades-Record-breaking-snow-predicted-for-November

I flaming hope not, hate heavy snow, makes trails unridable and travel a nightmare. Although I know a lot of folk will revel in this I want a nice mild winter and an early spring, bah.

(I know it’s from the Express which normally would make it pretty much certain to be lies but the quotes from meteorlogists seem genuine)

Drac

Congrats on the first Snowpocalypse post of the season.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nah those “experts” are just speculating to get air time. It might be the worst for years, but then it might not.

Kuco

They can hardly get the weather right for tomorrow never mind next month.

Flaperon

It’s in the Express, it must be true.

ratherbeintobago

I flaming hope not, hate heavy snow, makes trails unridable and travel a nightmare.

+1

It’s great when advice is given such as ‘don’t travel unless your journey is essential’.

Define ‘essential’.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member
    Pigface
    Free Member

The Express seem to have 3 headlines they have on rotation. Some stuff about Diana, house prices or the weather.

Utter bobbins 😆

butcher

I’m pretty sure The Express run this article every year.

nickjb
    Free Member

Snow in quite a few alpine ski resorts already

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh I doooo hope so, we haven’t had a winter since the last one 😆

epicyclo

Better buy your fatbike now…

Some of us live for winter. 🙂

Drac

Snow in quite a few alpine ski resorts already

Others have been enjoying the unusually warm weather.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Yeah, as already said, the Express do the same thing every winter and every winter they get it wrong. There was an article (possibly BBC website- I’ll try and find) about the Express using some spurious weather ‘experts’ for all of their long term forecasting.

zippykona

There will be a killer death bug epidemic within the next week as well.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They don’t get wrong every winter. The winter of 2009/10 was the coldest in decades.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

They don’t get wrong every winter. The winter of 2009/10 was the coldest in decades.

Well I guess if you march out the same headline every year you’re going to get it right once.

Weasel
    Free Member

If it had been reported in the Daily Wail, they’d have 2 options:

1) Snow gives you cancer
    2) Snow caused by illegal immigrants

maccruiskeen

The Express seem to have 3 headlines they have on rotation. Some stuff about Diana, house prices or the weather.
    Utter bobbins

Your missing ‘miracle pill cures chronic condition (usually arthritis)’

sweepy
    Free Member

SNOWMAGGEDON!

gwaelod
    Free Member
    gordimhor
    MoreCashThanDash

Last three winters here in Derbyshire have involved proper snowy/cold spells, and we are not in the higher parts of the county. I found a road blocked on a ride in April this year!

Given the low energy reserves as well, and the reported lack of preparedness in the NHS, if all predictions came true then at least the forecast “pensions” crisis will be reduced. 😕

bencooper
    Free Member

Oh, no, hang on… its the other one:

Of course the real headline is “Climate science is complex and can’t be summed up in one headline”

But with almost every system, if you put more energy in you get more extreme oscillations.

piemonster

*panics and orders Fatbike

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Of course the real headline is “Climate science is complex and can’t be summed up in one headline”

Z-11 knows that. He is fully aware that what was once called ‘global warming’ is now called ‘climate change’ precisely because the consequences are highly complex and inevitably people will be ridiculously over-simplistic.

However as someone with a right-wing neoconservative agenda he feels duty-bound to push at every conceivable opportunity the Tea Party line that climate change is a global communist conspiracy who’s real aim is to tax everyone more.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bring it on 🙂

dannyh
    Free Member

It might be imminent, but certainly not ‘imminant’.

Either way, it won’t keep me off the trails. In fact, it can turn local rides into epics if it snows a fair bit, which is good for the variety.

Duggan

Vantage Weather Services, where they get their information from, here:

http://vantageweatherservices.co.uk/index.html

The long range forecast for November 2013:

November 2013

November looks to see more evenly balanced weather across the country, with a lessening degree of rainfall nationwide. Apart perhaps from the far north west, most areas should see a mix of dry, bright, and sunny weather, with a decreased amount of wet and windy conditions. Temperatures late month may well induce some early snow across the hills of Scotland and to the north of England. Towards the middle and latter part of the month under clear skies, frost activity can be expected, leading to chilly, bright, and crisp autumnal days. On balance, rainfall is expected to come in below the average for the majority of areas, with temperatures reflecting the norm.

It doesn’t even match the article, in any way.

grum
    Free Member

The long range forecast for November 2013:

Sounds great!

Phil_H

I’ll get to use my ice tyres for more than the puffer then.
    Excellent.

66deg
    Free Member

The Express makes the news come alive , especially the copy that comes out on the 29th of each month.

matt_outandabout

Junkyard
    Free Member

Can I get in the first heat wave warning for 2014 that will kill us all for roughly June ish next year please

Same old same old

Moe

the only true weather forecast is the weather stone! 8)

Spin
    Free Member

Fingers crossed for just such a searingly cold and apocalyptically snowy winter as they are predicting.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Why? Do you want travel chaos, rolling power cuts, shortages in the supermarkets, increased mortality among the vulnerable groups in society, a depressed economy, and the tabloids as well as BBC going into weather sensationalism overload?

Anyway, as the tabloids are predicting it, it is less likely to happen.

Spin
    Free Member

Why?

Because I like skiing. Everyone else can just MTFU.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Worst Winter for decades imminant?’ is closed to new replies.