Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Wikileaks the dream is over
  • backhander
    Free Member

It doesn’t seem to sit comfortably with some that their idol may be an american or israeli stooge does it? (video?!?)
    I’ve suspected that wikileaks was an american tool for a while. We’ll probably never know but if I’m wrong and he’s acted independently then by golly the bloke has got some spheres!

Torminalis
    Free Member

Solid rock I reckon.

backhander
    Free Member

Indeed. Surprised he doesn’t need a wheelbarrow.

kimbers

so what youre saying is the guy who releases all the info on government conspiracies and who many believe has been caught up in the conspiracy leading to his arrest is infact part of a larger conspiracy?

where will it all end?

ourkidsam
    Free Member
    Junkyard
    Free Member

t doesn’t seem to sit comfortably with some that their idol may be an american or israeli stooge does it?

It is terrible being a prisoner of reason oh to be free enought to see a conspiracy everywhere. It does not sit well with me that he is both an Israeli stooge and an American stooge
    Kimbers it will end with assimilation resistance is futile.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Has anyone actually been on wikileaks? Ye gads, it’s dull.

I suspect over the past month there’s just been a load of journalists, sat at their desks pouring through tumblr and updating their blogs with 3000 words on how good a Starbucks Eggnog Mocha Latte is on one tab then having wikileaks open on the other. Every time the boss comes in they click on wikileaks and point at going “mmm, s’work, yeah?”.

backhander
    Free Member

Ha, says those who’ll believe anything written in the guardian!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Another supremely persuasive and well reasoned post.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

those who’ll believe anything written in the guardian!

The Guardian doesn’t recommend that their readers should believe everything they write. That is why everyday, they have a section dedicated to correcting false information which they have published. And they encourage people to write to them if they feel an article incorrect. I know of no other newspaper which does that.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2010/jan/13/corrections-clarifications

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

One of the main things to come out of this will be hopefully be new lockdowns on how Governments secure their (and our) data.
    If the network this was on was so easy for a relatively low-down person to copy all this data from, then think of the potential problems of something similar on the new upcoming NHS databases, etc.

The Guardian actually brings this up in a balanced manner in their editorial blog from earlier today.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Infosec – it’s a massive problem for everyone.

The leak who stole the cables had probably signed the eqv. of the OSA, so will be jailed forever.

But can anyone explain why journalists (wikileaks) are thought to be doing something illegal by redacting and reporting the information (journalism)?

naokfreek
    Free Member

It’s a witch hunt anyway you look at it, someone wants heads and they will not stop till they have one. Power VS Truth….The books are open.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is anyone else not remotely surprised by anything that’s in these cables? Honestly, how did you think govt and diplomacy worked?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I know of no other newspaper which needs to do that.

FTFY.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Really Flashheart ?

Well maybe you are right……..I guess Telegraph readers for example, probably have much lower expectations from their newspaper, and are therefore much less demanding.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no one who reads the telegraph expects the truth ernie – they need polemics

Stoner
    Free Member

no one who reads Toynbee or Monbiot expects the truth ernie – they need polemics

😉

kimbers

well cant argue with stoners comments about monbiot and toynbee (to a lesser extent)
    but still better than having clarckson as a columnist!

anyway thought this was rather amusing thing for teh russians to say

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/09/julian-assange-nobel-peace-prize

Junkyard
    Free Member

anoying posture politics from mafiso eastern comrades IMHO. Imagine if he had got their info what they would say
    I suspect he would not be long for this world.

kimbers

9.05am: First Russia, and now China suggests nominating Julian Assange for the Nobel Peace Prize.

The writer Clay Shirky warned this would happen. In a prophetic article on Monday he predicted the kind of argument repressive regimes would use following the US’s approach to WikiLeaks.

Democracies have a process for creating such restrictions, and as a citizen it sickens me to see the US trying to take shortcuts. The leaders of Myanmar and Belarus, or Thailand and Russia, can now rightly say to us “You went after Wikileaks’ domain name, their hosting provider, and even denied your citizens the ability to register protest through donations, all without a warrant and all targeting overseas entities, simply because you decided you don’t like the site. If that’s the way governments get to behave, we can live with that.”

glenp
    Free Member

The level of arrogance is astonishing, isn’t it? The very first thing the US and the rest of the west should do is lead by example. If they can’t even do that they can hardly pass comment on any other countries’ behaviour.

I can only feel momentum building here – the Avaaz.org petition hit 300,000 signatures in 24 hours and is now over 400,000.

glenp
    Free Member

Very bad thread title – the dream is just beginning.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“the dream is just beginning”

+1

While most people may not be amazed by the revelations, they should be amazed by the reaction of the US government and its western client-states. They are contemplating changing federal law to allow them to persecute one person.

Guantanamo Bay and Abu Graib and now this. How can the US lecture China about freedom and human rights when they’ve lost their moral centre. I wonder if this is the start of the end of US Hegemony.

BTW. We have seen a fraction the cables. I suspect the “good stuff” is to come.

DrJ

While most people may not be amazed by the revelations…

People claim not to be amazed by the revelations, because they were suspicious, in a general way, about the way politicians lie and cheat, but for me the importance is that these leaks PROVE specific instances of that behaviour – for example, the Lockerbie bomber guy.

Maybe we all suspected that his release was not just an act of compassion, but now we KNOW it was not, that it was a result of arm-twisting with the UK and US govts telling big porky pies. Now no-one can accuse us of paranoia – we have PROOF that they are out to get us!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

While I would never condone the use of “cyber-attacks” [sic], I think the user interface for the Low Orbit Ion Canon is quite amusing. particularly the control for connection to the hive mind IRC server for remote commanding:
    😉

glenp
    Free Member

So. I’m not particularly a demo person, although I did go to the Gulf War one (only time).

But. I am thinking about going to London tomorrow. Cumberland Gate, Marble Arch, 11am.

druidh
    Free Member

DrJ – Member
    While most people may not be amazed by the revelations…
    People claim not to be amazed by the revelations, because they were suspicious, in a general way, about the way politicians lie and cheat, but for me the importance is that these leaks PROVE specific instances of that behaviour – for example, the Lockerbie bomber guy.

Maybe we all suspected that his release was not just an act of compassion, but now we KNOW it was not, that it was a result of arm-twisting with the UK and US govts telling big porky pies.

Since it was the SCOTTISH Government that released him, what the UK and US Governments got up to is irrelevant.

kimbers

12.23pm: Interpol have issued an international arrest warrant for the former Croatian prime minister Ivo Sanader, who fled Croatia as WikiLeak cables exposed corruption allegations against him.

As Ian Traynor reported, according to cables from the US Zagreb embassy Sanader, the centre-right politician who stood down suddenly as prime minister in summer last year, features in several of the corruption cases currently terrorising the Croatian political class.

A friend of Sanader Jerko Rosinsaid, said on state-run today that the former leader was on a foreign business trip and would cut it short to return home.

But Croatian police issued warrant for Sanader and sent it overnight to Interpol. Police also searched his home, AP reports.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As Druidh says

There is no doubt that the UK government tried to broker a deal whereby Al Meggrhani ( sp) would be repatriated to serve his sentence in Libya in return for trade. ( under the guise of reciprocal agreements like we have with many countries allowing people to serve their sentence in their home country) However it was not in their power to do so as this is a reserved matter. There is no evidence of any collusion involving the scottish government

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Wikileaks the dream is over’ is closed to new replies.