Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Wiki Blackout
  • Cougar

There’s a nice one-page overview of SOPA et al here, btw (pdf).

stevewhyte
    Free Member

derekrides – Member

Er how old do I come across as?

In fact how old are you then?

Not generally that I’m particularly ageist but I do sometimes wonder what the average age is here..

PMSL sometime you wonder, clearly there are a lot of younger folk who still havnt realised that they actually know the square root of **** all. I think the average actual age is 28 the average internet age is about 12!!

Cougar

CountZero

http://boingboing.net/

Boingboing have been running a crusade against this for months.
    A point that’s being missed is that not only could sites be closed down, but, because of the demands of the big American media groups behind this, and the insane extradition laws that Blair/Brown signed us up to,
    people can be extradited and jailed for something that isn’t illegal in Europe, like Richard O’Dwyer, who is being extradited for online piracy over his TVShack site, that just linked to other sites deemed to be infringing by the Yanks.
    Our courts are backing this, despite no law being broken in the UK.
    These laws are almost Stalinist in their intention, and it’s Hollywood and big money behind it.
    Anyone who thinks the Yanks are fairly benign with this needs to extract his head from where it’s been firmly shoved up his ass and look at what this could imply for many people outside of the borders of the US.

andyl
    Free Member

The reason Wiki is taking part is it is a useful and educational site that has real value.

Facebook and twitter are just full of rubbish.

kimbers

hmm would it be retroactive?

and if stw is hosted in the USA anyone whos recomended filesharing/streaming, posted copyrighted videos, cut and paste from paywal sites sites on here before ……..

could get themselves and stw in trouble

mushrooms
    Free Member

Google USA is taking part, you can click the Google logo in the USA to protest.
    Some info,

Northwind

I’m totally with Hitler on this one.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

grahamh
    Free Member

Cannot Holywood be done for infringement of copyright?
    I mean in the last few year what have they done but produce remakes
    of films from the 60’s,70’s and 80’s.
    the italian Job, Get cater to name two.
    For Gods sake they even remade a film of ‘Girl with the dragon tattoo’ which only came out a couple of years ago.
    A banckrupt industry trying to cling on to power in a modern world.

compositepro
    Free Member

Could people not just unplug the Americans and tell them to play on their own

Wgaf what they get their Nickers in a twist about then

GregMay
    Free Member

Could people not just unplug the Americans and tell them to play on their own

Wgaf what they get their Nickers in a twist about then

Erm because every URL ending with .com or .org falls under this legislation, its not just an effect on .US

compositepro
    Free Member

Oh I no very little about how internet works

Its like It wasn’t there then all a of sudden it was

Someone might invent something newer soon

Ps why can’t we just say **** off then we don’t give a shit about your legislation…..the French would

CountZero

Ps why can’t we just say **** off then we don’t give a shit about your legislation…..the French would

Maybe because our courts will allow them to waltz into your home with a warrant and arrest your sorry ass and cart it back to the US along with the threat of ten years in the pokey.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

A banckrupt industry trying to cling on to power in a modern world.

Thats the main reason for the act. If either SOPA or PIPA goes through it’ll sadly be just another example of a government listening to what its big corporate backers want, rather than what’s good for its people 🙁

Northwind

compositepro – Member

You, individually, can- it’s possible you’ll end up getting deported anyway and tried but not really likely. But, any company or website that wants to be read in America doesn’t have that option, so it’ll have a huge impact on the net regardless of what you personally do.

gohan
    Free Member

The protest did its job, U.S. senators took notice and have backed down for now, this battle it would seem goes to the internet but the war is far from over, it is a lot more than hollywood trying to cling on to it’s profit, I admit Im no saint when it comes to the internet and have maybe dl when i should have bought but as was said in a post earlier, if i popped a link to a copy written item on this forum under PIPA or SOPA it could mean bye bye STW however the feds are taking action with out the legislation so its just a matter of time, http://rt.com/usa/news/megaupload-shut-million-authorities-231/

CountZero

American authorities helped issue arrests on Thursday for four people in New Zealand that they say are responsible for the website. According to the official indictment, unsealed the same day, Megaupload is being accused of costing copyright holders upwards of $500 million in lost revenues because of content illegally uploaded to its servers.

And New Zealand’s further from America than we are. The Feds want to control the entire Internet ,and police and prosecute the entire world.
    And they’re being allowed to get away with it.
    Next time it could be Dropbox, or any cloud storage system.

tails
    Free Member

Insomnia!!

Could you not just put a page before entering the website in a similar vein to the alcohol websites. In this case saying Users residing in the USA are not permitted to use the content.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Insomnia!!

Could you not just put a page before entering the website in a similar vein to the alcohol websites. In this case saying Users residing in the USA are not permitted to use the content.

Doesn’t really work though, as a banner page can’t STOP the US folk accessing it [well it could, but it would be tricky and ugly]. Also, that kinda stops half the trade done on the internet. Also, if the US pass it there’s then pressure on other countries to do the same.

Really it’s far better if they’d all just get a grip.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Wiki Blackout’ is closed to new replies.