Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Who's got a good Chilli Recipe?
  • cookeaa

As per the title, who’s got one they’re willing to share?

I was reading one last night which involved Brisket, lots of chillis, a pint of strong black coffee and at least 4 hours…

M6TTF
    Free Member

the one you’re describing sounds like the jamie oliver one – and it’s bloody tasty

RobHilton
    Free Member

Coffee could be good. I usu. add powdered cumin, coriander and a decent pile of grated 100% cacao to make it nice & rich.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Heston Blumenthal did a good one, but I´d leave out the marmite and add a few jalapeños for a little extra heat:
    http://www.waitrose.com/content/waitrose/en/home/recipes/recipe_directory/h/heston_s_rich_chilli_con_carne_with_spiced_butter.html

vinnyeh

Not quite chill but I’ve been making a batch of Charro Beans weekly, the meat version with pork, and have to say it tastes utterly fantastic. I was always someone who thought a chilli was a chilli, only differentiated by hotness, but there’s a lot of different flavours in this.
    Ancho and arbol chillis, and epazote leaves came from Mex-grocer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/gordon-ramsay/chilli-con-carne-recipe

this was a good one, even better with wallaby mince

Clobber
    Free Member

Everyone always bangs on that a good chilli doesn’t have tomato in it… but can I find a non-tomato chilli recipe….?

molgrips
    Free Member

I think non-chilli tomato is known as ‘white chilli’ in the US. It’s lovely.

Anyway – the best chilli I’ve had is this:

As long as you cook the spices first (heat them for about 30s in a dry pan). Mmmm 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just throw in whatever is in the cupboard, always seems to be tasty.

Painey
    Free Member

Apart form the obvious ingredients these few things make a chilli extra special:

Chipotle Chillies (smoked Jalapenos)
    Dark Chocolate – 70% Cocoa
    Ground Coffee

Never use mince either, just use stewing steak cut into thin pieces and cook it for 8 hours.

Cougar

I´d leave out the marmite

Heresy. That’s a critical ingredient in chilli.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

onion – chopped and fried
    mince – browned
    add tomatoes (tinned) and tomato puree
    add minced garlic, chopped ginger and chilli (skins only, scotch bonnet are best imho)
    simmer 30-40 mins, lid on, same again lid off
    scotch bonet chilli seems to benefit from being left overnight in the fridge

wash hands before picking nose, going for a pee or getting intimate with lady friends

coffeeking
    Free Member

Never use mince either, just use stewing steak cut into thin pieces and cook it for 8 hours.

Nah, it’s not chilli if it isn’t mince based.

crikey
    Free Member

I tried the chocolate thing after reading it on here, and made a pan full of inedible stuff. It tasted exactly like it sounds; like chocolate in chilli, disgusting..

molgrips
    Free Member

How much chocolate did you add? You need like one square.

Cougar

Ok, you lot win.

Chilli for tea, then.

scruff
    Free Member

Nutella works.

loum
    Free Member

can you use easter eggs? got a fridgeful.

crikey
    Free Member

Really? I put a whole Mars Bar in….. Not.

I just didn’t like the chocolatey aftertaste, maybe its me, but I prefer my chilli to be savoury?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Chilli and chocolate = awesome.

I usually add a teaspoon of cocoa powder to mine. Yum.

molgrips
    Free Member

I put in a teaspoon of cocoa as above, but also a teaspoon of sugar sometimes. It just adds a tiny bit of depth to the flavour, you’re not supposed to actually be able to taste chocolate.

crikey
    Free Member

Dirty buggers; you wouldn’t put mince in hot chocolate for that meaty kick would you? 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

I tried the chocolate thing after reading it on here, and made a pan full of inedible stuff. It tasted exactly like it sounds; like chocolate in chilli, disgusting..

Yeah, I love both but together – no ta.

Don’t get the pepper on strawberries thing either, just tastes like you accidentally put pepper on a strawberry – doesn’t compliment it at all.

atlaz
    Free Member

This one: http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2009/02/more-precise-texas-chili-recipe.html

Uses 5 kinds of chile, as much bacon as beef (chunks of it, not minced) as well as coffee, beer and a little chocolate (as high a cocoa content as you can get, min 60%). For extra enjoyment, serve it with cornbread and just serve the chili on its own in a bowl with a little raw onion and cheese.

molgrips
    Free Member

Many supermarket jars have a bit of cocoa in.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My recipe – meat (usually minced turkey because my wife isn’t keen on beef), onion, garlic, packet of Old ElPaso chili powder then whatever else I find (chili sauces, tommy k, vinegar, lemon juice, jalapeños, kidney beans, sweetcorn etc – no recipe, just keep adding till the pan is full 🙂

argyle
    Free Member
    Sam

Mine’s a regularly evolving thing and takes on different variations. Here’s what I just made for lunch, pretty quick and easy and very healthy. Non-tomato special for you clubber. If I’m going for a more typical chili con carne then I use minced beef and a can of tomatoes.

fry off some diced onion and garlic.
    add chunks of chicken breast – seal them off
    fresh chili, bit of chicken stock, cumin, coriander, chipotle paste all go in.
    frozen black beans and aduki beans (I prepare big batches of these from dried and then keep them in single portion bags in the freezer to use as needed – much nicer and cheaper than tinned beans) and some halved fresh green beans go in. bring to boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
    add a shot of espresso and a bit of grated dark chocolate and 1 tsp of brown sugar. remove chicken pieces (especially if breast, they’ll just dry out) then reduce the sauce to the desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste and some more chili powder or tabasco if it’s not hot enough for you.
    garnish with some chopped fresh coriander. serve with rice or as I just had with a few corn chips on the side.

You can experiment with different meats (minced beef and pork also work well) or you can do without meat altogether if you like.

crikey
    Free Member

You’re all freaks!

Steak mince, onions, kidley beans, tomatoes, garlic, chilli.

That’s it.
    Them mexican aztec fellas would cut out your hearts if they knew you were putting Mars Bars in their tea!

crikey
    Free Member

Coffee? Bloody coffee?

It’s a DRINK, for drinking!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Them mexican aztec fellas would cut out your hearts if they knew you were putting Mars Bars in their tea!

He’s right you know – mars bars have no place in chilli – it has to be

scruff
    Free Member

Aztecs INVENTED Chocolate, and they had it with Chilli in it.

crikey
    Free Member

Rubbish.
    Cadburys invented chocolate, and at no point in recorded history have they produced a bar with ‘Add to meat based meals’ as one of the serving suggestions. Wrong, that’s what it is, wrong.

crikey
    Free Member

…they did invent human sacrifice, and rubbish pyramids, bit still..

molgrips
    Free Member

You have probably already eaten plenty of chili with chocolate in it.

cookeaa

the one you’re describing sounds like the jamie oliver one – and it’s bloody tasty

It is indeed, the missus has bought both of his latest books and cooked almost bugger all from both…

I’m fancying a proper Chilli cooking session next weekend and Jolivers recipe is a current contended, but thought I’d see what the STW Hive might have to offer first…

Marmite FFS! I want to make a tasty Chilli not one that tastes like a tramps anus! No we’ll have none of that Cheston Hestonthal shite thankyou, that baldy toss-bandit is second only to Delia for churning out Culinary cobblers (interestingly both now pimp Waitrose products)…

Anyway thanks all for the suggestions thus far, I’m happy to invest some time if it’s a long recipe with marinades or lots of simmering, and keep an open mind on ingredients (appart from Bloody Marmite!)… So keep em’ coming…

molgrips
    Free Member

Lloyd Grossman thinks beer is essential. Not so much a Aztec thing as a Tex-Mex thing.

crikey
    Free Member

I doubt that very much. Fancy foreign food hasn’t been here long enough for folk to start mucking about with it; Heinz beans took a while to catch on after WWII…

Sam

the coffee works well – I was very sceptical when I first tried it but it definitely adds a nice rounded dimension to the flavour.

Kidney beans are also horrible flavourless little pieces of dung. I’ll go head to head in a taste test with your chili any day crikey.

Clobber
    Free Member

crikey – Member
    You’re all freaks!

Steak mince, onions, kidley beans, tomatoes, garlic, chilli.

That’s it.
    Them mexican aztec fellas would cut out your hearts if they knew you were putting Mars Bars Tomatoes in their tea!

FTFY…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Who's got a good Chilli Recipe?’ is closed to new replies.