• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by scud.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Which SS Rigid MTB?
  • campbelldj
    Free Member

Hello

Just looking for some opinions and suggestions if possible. Looking to get a rigid single speed. Will be riding on and off road. I’m pretty fit and there aren’t many hills so an SS is fine.

Budget, don’t really want to go over 800.

So far I’ve seen
    Kona unit
    Genesis fortitude
    Charge cooker
    Cannondale trail sl
    Surely karate monkey.

And I’m keeping my eye out on the classifieds too.

Thanks for your help

everyone
    Free Member

You could build an Inbred up for less than 800.

Kato

I have a Dialled Love/Hate and it’s ace. Singlespeed with an EBB. I recommend!

jimster01

Another vote for the inbred here.

ruggerbugger
    Free Member

Charge Cooker, steel, rigid. rips through the woods & munches the miles…….

ssboggy

Singular Swift,

tazzymtb

Salsa el mariachi

hutchweb

I am running a cannondale trail sl 29er bought off here and loving it. Light responsive bike with ebb.

takisawa2

Wot Taz said.
    KM & Inbred are a bit heavy. Nowt wrong with them, strong as oxes. If you go for the Inbred just avoid the steel fork. It’s truly awful.

For £800 I’d want something a bit nicer.
    Swift or El-Mar…not a lot in it, but I prefer the Salsa.

Pace do the RC129. It’s lovely, but probably a bit out of the budget.
    I did hear they had some deals on them though…

Genesis Fortitude is another, but again, might be just out the budget.

justridemtb
    Free Member

Karate monkey. Best bike I’ve ever owned.

davidjey
    Free Member

Charge Cooker SS is a proper no nonsense steel singlespeed. Mine’s coming up to a year old and has wanted nothing except brake pads and chain adjustment (no problems with the EBB as can sometime be the case). And it’s great fun to ride!

However, the 2013 model was £599 – I see the 2014 is £699 for basically the same spec. At that price I might buy something else.

plus-one

Don’t discount the genesis io … Unless you want 29’r ? Cracking machine had one 4 years never skipped a beat..

Recently acquired another io frame which I built into this

Untitled by Plus one2010, on Flickr

campbelldj
    Free Member

That is NICE! But I was looking for a 29er

The cooker is probably the cheapest option. I have seen a new genesis fortitude in my size under 600 so very tempted to get that.
    I do like the El Mar but haven’t seen an old one for sale and the 2014 model is over 1100. I could get a pipedream Skookum for cheaper than that.

The swift is nice and the Pace looks mint, haven’t seen that one before. Can’t see a full build anywhere for sale, and I wouldn’t have a clue which parts to buy to suit the frame or budget. Kinda want some carbon forks on it too. Could I do the pace with carbon forks for under a 1000?

gazc
    Free Member

really enjoy my genesis fortitude but have just got an el mariachi so i can run a sus fork. if you want to rund rigid its an awesome bike. for sale if of interest, its the adventure model – nearly full bike. size 19inch

tazzymtb

check the web, El mar frames can be had for around the 300 mark (last years colours) from various places, billys, triton, active sport etc…

easyliy build up into a 800 quid SS!

or have a looky for something a bit more left field like a second hand jones diamond and unicrown set up. I got frame fork front wheel and headset for about 600 second hand and with some spares and cheapo Ebay finds got it all going for under 850

jamj1974

+1 for Fortitude SS. Rides really well and I can’t see myself ever getting rid of it. Brilliant bike.

Mattbike

I’m loving my 2013 unit which I’ve had for a few months. The sliding drop out design is good and with the 44 mm head tube you can fit a tapered fork. I’ve put a carbon on there which makes it lighter.

tazzymtb

oh, and if you facebooky and aren’t already on it have a look for one cog cycling, pure SS stupidity, ask on there as lots of folks have bits of niche for sale at nice prices that will never be seen on the bastion of bland and beige that is sillytack world

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Trail SL is a proper nice bike for the money, with a very well finished frame, and is one (metric) shed load lighter than all the rest of those. Tubeless rims too.

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

Chrome plated Cooker!

campbelldj
    Free Member

Had a look at those sites. Nothing that cheap in my size 18-19″. The 2014 el mar frame is 395. The cheapest thing is a Sanderson soloist.

I’ve emailed Pace about the cost of a full bike.

tazzymtb

It would be worth giving Charlie the bike monger a shout as well, as he may be able to build you something within budget from his collection of niche

scud
    Free Member

If it’s any good to you I have an 18″ raw Scandal 29 frame with Hope headset, rigid black Salsa forks and Hope/ DT Swiss wheels and brand new SS kit, currently running 1×10, but have the SS kit to convert it.

It is a complete bike at present, but i want the brakes and bars for another project, but other than that the rest is for sale after the weekend (mate has taken it as a spare bike for solo at Strathpuffer)

Let me know if it would be any good to you, email in profile.

Actually looking at email has gone from profile, pauljwhitlock@gmail.com

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Which SS Rigid MTB?’ is closed to new replies.