• This topic has 49 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by devs.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • whats with all the 9 speed
  • R.lepecha

shimano have gone completely 9 and 10 speed for 2011. yet the 9 speed groupsets can still come with v brakes,whats that about, 8 speed rules, doubt i’ll ever go 9 or even 10 speed, chains are getting more paper like by the year.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Doubt I’d ever buy a car that doesn’t run directly on petrol or diesel, but then again 😆

R.lepecha

its not like 10 speed and 9 speed are better for the environment though are they 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

They’ve not updated the v-brakes in about 10 years, it’s not much effort to keep producing them and changing the graphics.

9 speed has been around for 11 years now, it’s hardly experimental technology!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Agreed.

SHITE!

Mister-P
    Free Member

R.lepecha

but why have they removed 8 speed from there line all together, thats just stupid

R.lepecha

Mister P
    why the dont feed the troll pic, it was just a general question, i dont see the problem in asking.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ll still get spares Leppy.

ton

i used to dislike 9 speed………………
    then again…………..i used to adore these……..

sweepy
    Free Member

Well I take your point,9 speed chains dont seem to last nearly as long as 8 speed. why not leave the choice for those that prefer the durability.

R.lepecha

i know i’ll still get spares, i just dont see why no one wants to run 8 speed no more, 9 speed helps in what way? 1 more gear, cant realy tell the difference. 10 speed, same again, there was enough gears with 8 speed, then it went nine which was just a little bit to many and 10 is over the top

RealMan
    Free Member

10 is a much rounder number then 8, and 9 is a square number, which makes them better.

R.lepecha

10 is a much rounder number then 8, and 9 is a square number, which makes them better.

good reason, everyone go ten speed!:)

RealMan
    Free Member

I just can’t wait until prime 11.

njee20
    Free Member

but why have they removed 8 speed from there line all together, thats just stupid

Because it’s seriously old! They’ll keep doing chains and cassettes, which are the likely parts to need. They don’t do 6 speed Dura Ace any more either. It’s called obsolescence.

R.lepecha

and all the chains that snap every 2 minutes, sounds fun. there making step down type cassettes to run a 9 tooth lower rear cog, rite. so then they might just go 11 speed to accommodate this small cog.

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

Agreed, I hardly ever single shift, normally change 2 or 3 at a time. If I had 8 speed I would see no advantage of changing to 9 apart from the parts are easier to get.

Kahurangi

8 is a cubic number. in fact it is 2 cubed, which is the only even prime number. surely that is maximum awesomeness?

rad*gnar*sick

R.lepecha

Because it’s seriously old! They’ll keep doing chains and cassettes, which are the likely parts to need. They don’t do 6 speed Dura Ace any more either. It’s called obsolescence.

so are v brakes, there even more seriously old. single speed? older. people still run this stuff, and they still sell this stuff, just not 8 speed!

RealMan
    Free Member

8 is a cubic number. in fact it is 2 cubed, which is the only even prime number. surely that is maximum awesomeness?

This is so stupid I’m not even going to bother dignifying it with a proper response.

sweepy
    Free Member

plus 8 has mirror, and half turn symmetry. How can we cope with anything else

njee20
    Free Member

and all the chains that snap every 2 minutes, sounds fun.

Yep, it’s true, the 99.9% of people running 9 and 10 speed have to replace their broken chains every 30 seconds 🙄

The V-brake analogy doesn’t really stand, there’s more demand for them on cheap bikes, commuter bikes, hybrids etc. There’s sod all market for decent 8 speed stuff, like it or not, you’re in a tiny minority.

Hope have shown a 9-up cassette, and Shimano do Capreo with a 9, but they’re not doing conventional cassettes with a 9 on. We’ll go 11 speed eventually, Campag have been 11 speed on the road for 3 years now.

I’m surprised you have the internet in your cave.

R.lepecha

and you saying halfords bikes are all 9 speed, no there 8 speed, the whole bloody lot of them below £400. same in evans, same in any bike shop that sells bikes under £400. never believed 9 speed gets anyone anywhere, i still ride faster on an 8 speed than any of my mates that have 9 speed, point proven, plus they have the full 3 rings up front, i have just the 1.

and well, the chain snapping does stand, my mate snapped a 9 speed chain like 4 times in 2 months, so his new one was fitted by the bike shop and it snapped within a week.

sweepy
    Free Member

well im not shaving again until I get at least 7 blades on my razor, its like living in the third world.

nickc

hello Ro. How’s tricks?

njee20
    Free Member

They still make cheap 8 speed stuff, it’s just the expensive stuff that’s been dropped…

Of course chains can snap, but it’s not really as endemic as some folk seem to think. Shock horror, but 8 speed ones break too. In fact, I see a lot more bikes through the shop with broken 8 speed chains than 9, ergo 8 speed chains break more.

Have a read up on there/their/they’re too, ta!

RealMan
    Free Member

never believed 8 speed gets anyone anywhere, i still ride faster on an 7 speed than any of my mates that have 8 speed, point proven, plus they have the full 3 rings up front, i have just the 1.

and well, the chain snapping does stand, my mate snapped a 8 speed chain like 4 times in 2 months, so his new one was fitted by the bike shop and it snapped within a week.

Who on earth needs 8 speed when there’s 7..

R.lepecha

thats also true, i actually have a 7 speed bike too, but parts are so difficult to find for it now.

R.lepecha

and

Of course chains can snap, but it’s not really as endemic as some folk seem to think. Shock horror, but 8 speed ones break too. In fact, I see a lot more bikes through the shop with broken 8 speed chains than 9, ergo 8 speed chains break more.

thats probably because the people who run 8 speed chains general dont maintain there bikes and never change the chain in the lifetime of the bike, so therefore it, inevitably snaps.

cookeaa

While I appreciate the OP’s point of view I can’t really agree with him, I have both 8 & 9 speed on different bikes and to be honest there are,minor differences the narrower pitch on the cassettes makes for marginaly smoother fasted shifting. As for snapped chains, the distance between plates is not what causes them to snap, nine speed is pretty much proven now. Take it or leave it, you can still get spares for eight and seven speed so no need to worry

Netdonkey

I have run 9 speed and got over 800 miles out of a chain without a break. it is called maintenance.. Mud causes more problems than a thinner chain.

If you believe the grinder test STW mag ran on SRAM XX in issue 59 a 2 ring front with 10 cog rear gives you the most options by reducing the replicated gears found in other ratios.

More to the point Shimano are in it for the profit not charitable causes. i.e. they don’t sell a lot of high end 8 speed groupsets so don’t make a lot of profit which is not good for their shareholders. So they drop the line, you move to 9 speed and their production costs are reduced.

Happy days if you are Shimano, bad days if you are a 8 speed fan.

Oh why oh why did they stop manufacturing the Girvin Flexstem? “I ride a lot faster on them than my mates with a set of pikes!”

jam-bo

sam hill used a 7spd cassette on his world champs winning bike…

R.lepecha

yes mud makes mroe difference to the time length they last, but in my mates case it doesnt, his chain is degreased with a biodegradable cleaner every ride and lubed back up with a silicone lubricant

njee20
    Free Member

So he broke a chain, big whoop! I broke an XTR chain after about 150 metres, it wasn’t because it was a 9 speed one, it was just unlucky.

The strongest chains SRAM make are the PC991 Cross Step and the Hollow Pin 9 and 10 speed ones, so that argument really doesn’t wash!

I’ve had a 10 speed chain on my bike all year, must have done a couple of thousand miles without breaking, the 10 speed chain on my road bike is now 2 years old, and has done about 10000 miles. I’m not convinced by your case study of knowing one person who broke a chain!

TheSlider
    Free Member

8 speed rules in my house anyway. Does the ‘R’ stand for Retro ???
    Actually I hate all this ‘Kool Retro’ hype ! It’s SO last year !

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I agree. 8spd chains are no longer lasting than 9, in my experience.

9spd has a lighter chain, the extra gear (obviously) and quicker shifting. That’s three reasons why pretty much everyone runs 9spd.

The jump from 9 to 10 is perhaps less persuasive. I run 10spd on my roadie and the shifting is quicker but the setup is quite sensitive to clean cables etc. I suspect if you ran 10spd offroad you’d need to look after it (which counts some of my mates out…)

stumpy01

I’ve never broken a 9spd chain……
    I even managed to do 2 laps of the 24/12 a couple of yrs ago on a chain that somehow got kinked due to an impact. One of the links bent so one end of it was kinked about 30degrees in relation to the other end when looking down the direction of travel. Shifting was all to pot, but it didn’t break.

You can still get low end 8 spd can’t you?
    It’s not hard to fathom that companies aren’t gonna keep churning out stuff that not many people want to buy, is it??

R.lepecha

he broke 1 chain many times, and he snapped a brand new one within a week, thats more than just 1 chain.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘whats with all the 9 speed’ is closed to new replies.