Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • What would you rather have – more money or better quality of life?
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

Had an interesting conversation at work today regarding the referendum. My boss made an astute observation.

Everyone whose primary motivation is money is voting no.

Everyone whose primary motivation is quality of life is voting yes.

Seems absolutely bang on to me.

breadcrumb

I’m sure you can both, or neither.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Everyone whose primary motivation is to start a thread in relation to anything scotlandish should be deported there. Immediately.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Surely the two go together?

dannybgoode

But those who want a better quality of life will learn two things (IMHO).

1/ A Scottish government, will over time, seem very much like any other government is by the general population.
    2/ Oil money does not last forever and the promised better quality of life somewhat depends on it.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Surely the two go together?

What a horrible thought. Never met a poor person who was happy, or a rich person who was miserable?

jam-bo

Seem a bit simple to me.

imnotverygood

I take it you dislike people who are materialist.
    You vote Yes.
    Tell me if it is possible that you are biased.

gordimhor

Quality of life for me ,hands down

AD

Sounds more like a half-witted observation by someone trying to feel superior about voting yes to me… Is your boss Alex Salmond?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I take it you dislike people who are materialist.

I don’t really care either way. It’s their life.

Biased against what exactly?

DezB
    Free Member

Voting in what?
    Surely not another Scotland thread??

athgray
    Free Member

Everyone whose primary motivation is money is voting no.

Everyone whose primary motivation is quality of life is voting yes.

Complete and utter sh*te!!
    Stick to starting threads about how a Londoner should not lead Better Together. More your style.

bencooper
    Free Member

I gave up a very well paid but stressful job to run a business I love and have a good family life. I’m voting yes.

But I know a minister, probably the least selfish person I’ve ever met and a very good man, who is voting No.

So no, I don’t think there’s any connection.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Like everything Bencooper there are shades of grey, but I think there is a definite link. Add in risk averse and short- sightedness to the motivated by money and we’re probably getting more accurate.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Since retiring I am time rich, money poor and all the healthier, happier and enjoying life a whole lot more 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

Nope, he’s not risk-adverse or short sighted either. Neither are the few other No voters I know.

We might be on opposite sides on this, but it does no-one any favours to make generalisations. Better to understand that, while we might not agree with them, no voters do sometimes have valid reasons for voting the way they do, just as we do.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Nope, he’s not risk-adverse or short sighted either. Neither are the few other No voters I know.

I wish I was meeting the same No voters that you are.

piemonster

Wot Ben said.

OP looks like bias horse crap. Tbh.

NZCol

All the no voters I know are none of those things, me included.
    Good try though.

dannyh
    Free Member

Problem is the two are inextricably linked, whether you like it or not.

After a certain point, I do find that people with excessive amounts of money are often maladjusted and paranoid.

This is a product of judging yourself solely on how much dosh you’ve got and isolating yourself by moving in circles that only rich people are allowed in, thus reinforcing the entitlement/nervousness.

Nowt as queer as folk.

Personally I like to have enough to buy bits and pieces for my bike, not have to worry about paying bills too much and have a holiday with the wife and kids each year. Anything on top of this is a bonus, but I’m not going to cripple myself working to obtain it because why have more money when you haven’t got the time or energy to enjoy it?

imnotverygood

I think the OP needs to add . ‘Born in London’

pictonroad

Can I have money for, say, 3 years then go back to quality of life?

Is this a vote?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Seem a bit simple to me.

+1

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Bencooper – way back at the beginning of one of the other threads you said you and your family were seriously considering moving to somewhere in Scandinavia if there was a No vote. Do you still feel the same way?

I’ll probably head to Australia if it turns out that way.

imnotverygood

Biased against what exactly?

So this:

I wish I was meeting the same No voters that you are.

Shows no prejudice at all.

bencooper
    Free Member

Bencooper – way back at the beginning of one of the other threads you said you and your family were seriously considering moving to somewhere in Scandinavia if there was a No vote. Do you still feel the same way?

We’ve got some land in Maine, might do that.

No, probably not. Got a decent business and a decent life here. If there’s a No vote, will heave a deep sigh, shake my head, and start planning for the next referendum.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Problem is the two are inextricably linked, whether you like it or not.

Once you control for starving to death, freezing your bollocks off or living under an authoritarian dictatorship, then it’s not entirely clear. It’s certainly correlated with living in the developing world.

However, Costa Ricans for example are happier than Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satisfaction_with_Life_Index

athgray
    Free Member

I’ll probably head to Australia if it turns out that way.

Thats a long way to go to live in a country who’s people are dragged into illegal wars. 😉

I saw this first hand. Was in Hobart at the time when protests were happening in 2003.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

It’s a long way to go, but the quality of life is much higher than it is here at present.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Meh, you’d be surrounded by Aussie accents though. It’d be like living in a **** nightmare. “GDAYYY MAATE!”. ARGHHHH. My friend went off and lived there and came back with a full Aussie accent, we were in mourning for weeks.

badnewz
    Free Member

There are two types of people in this world. Those who speak the truth and those who speak in dichotomies.

brooess
    Free Member

Well the risk is that yes will lead to less money for everyone so it’s a good job if the yes voters aren’t worried about money!

allfankledup

We’ve been in the position where we had loads of cash, but no time – so bought extra holiday back from work

The Mrs now no longer has a paid job, and is time rich (relatively) – I work a longish day. I’d prefer more time, but need to make sure we can maintain a reasonable standard of living.

Overall I would prefer a better quality of life – but need the cash to support the goals that we have.

I’d say it’s a balance

Hate the referendum – it’s brought out some ugly stuff in people, just want the thing done now

imnotverygood

Out of interest. How will Scotland being Independent lead to a better quality of life?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Well the risk is that no will lead to less money for everyone so it’s a good job if the no voters aren’t worried about money!

Runs both ways that one

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Out of interest. How will Scotland being Independent lead to a better quality of life?

People might think that they have more control over their lives. Fairly basic tenant of psychology.

brooess
    Free Member

People might think that they have more control over their lives. Fairly basic tenant of psychology.

I get that as a point of principle but surely if having more control means having significantly lower wealth – to the point of difficulty/discomfort, then the feeling of quality of life is negatively impacted, no?

ie: the principle is likely to only be true to a point and depending on other variables?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I get that as a point of principle but surely if having more control means having significantly lower wealth – to the point of difficulty/discomfort, then the feeling of quality of life is negatively impacted, no?

ie: the principle is likely to only be true to a point and depending on other variables?

Yes, like everything in life, happiness will depend on a balance of variables that is different for every individual.

I think many of the yes voters do not believe they will see a big drop in standards of living, so the idea of having a government that they feel more directly represents them will be massively appealing.

AD

Wan – come and live in Cumbria – the quality of life is great and its way closer than Australia with similar weather to Scotland so you wouldn’t feel homesick!

And most of us don’t like Cameron either so plenty of common ground 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘What would you rather have – more money or better quality of life?’ is closed to new replies.