Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What good value bike bag?
  • julians
    Free Member

Going to majorca in November for a spot of mountain biking, so need to buy a bag.

Anyone got any recommendations for a good value but decent quality bag that’ll do a good job of protecting the bike from the baggage handlers?

ac282

My bike went safely to and from majorca in one of these in spring.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15325

Leku
    Free Member

Make sure you get one with wheels. Mine doesn’t and every time I use it I regret it. Buy a 100m roll of bubble wrap on-line and line bag with cardboard. Ask LBS for those plastic fork and frame spacers.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I’ve got a DHB (wiggle own brand) one, which I’ve had for about 5 years now.

Unlike some of the other DHB gear, this has proved to be a good buy & I would buy the same one again.

Mine doesn’t have wheels, but the latest one does (for £70).

I’ve taken it overseas a handful of times & so far (touch wood) I’ve only had a bent rotor in transit (I left it on the front wheel, which was a mistake).

One of the things I like about it is it’s a bit bigger, so I can leave the rear wheel in the frame when packing (I have a medium FS).

Agree with Leku – bubble wrap is useful. I also strap my knee/elbow pads to the frame & put pipe lagging around the frame (usually about £1 per meter at your local DIY store – 3 meters is enough).

I also remove the following – pedals, rear mech, chain, rear mech hanger, front brake rotor. I make sure there is a pad spacer in the front caliper. I do drop the tyre pressures a bit (some airlines want them flat), but leave around 20-25psi in.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member
    trailmonkey

i bought a planet x bag for about £80, 6 or 7 years ago and it’s served me well, doing many trips abroad.

however, with hindsight, i’d have spent that £80 on something else and just got a bike box from the lbs which is far stronger, probably weighs less and unless you’ve got a bag with wheels is easier to handle and definately easier to wheel about on a trolley in the airport.

cardboard box = new bits that you’ll need for the alps/spain/canada

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What good value bike bag?’ is closed to new replies.