Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Weekly photo challenge. 18.3.13 – 24.3.13 – Tunnels
  • Tunnels this week. I don’t think there’s all that many tunnels around where it’s legal, or even possible, to ride a bike, so you might need to stretch it to underpasses or anything with a mining or underground connection, if that makes it easier.

The rules;
    1. Take a photo of your bike with something that matches the theme in the picture.
    2. Interpret the theme any way you like.
    3. Pictures should be taken between the dates in the topic title.
    4. If you post a picture you can either suggest a theme for next weeks challenge or vote for someone else’s suggestion. First suggestion to get two supporting votes becomes next weeks theme, probably.

ton

i ride through a ery grim smelly tunnel everyday on my commute.

yetidave
    Free Member

I rode through two today, but it was too grim weatherwise to take photos.

ton

told you it was smelly and horrible

18.03.13 ebike 008 by 20ston, on Flickr

Bernaard
    Free Member

qwerty
    Free Member

2.25 miles long

hallz
    Free Member

Good pictures – but where are they?!

shindiggy
    Free Member

Ooooh, will take the camera out tomorrow. Lots of tunnels for me to go through on the route to work.

Where are the above taken?

ton

mine is Armley gyratory leeds. links whitehall rd with the roundabout.
    usually got a couple of addicts or a tramp in it early on a morning.
    it is very warm in the center where there is a solitary light.

Rock house at Blackstone Rock, between Bewdley and Stourport in Worcestershire.
    If you’ve ever driven to the Wyre Forest, you probably passed within 100m of this.

There’s quite a few of these type of rock houses cut in to the soft local sandstone around here. It would only take a slight detour on my commute to get a different one every day this week.

Muke
    Free Member

Greywell Tunnel,Basingstoke canal, Hampshire… 1,230 yards long built between 1788 and 1794 as an alternative to a longer route around Greywell Hill.It was listed as an SSSI in December 1985 due to its bat colony, after a partial count of the population revealed 541 bats in the first 400 feet of the eastern end, from which total numbers were estimated to be around 2,000. The tunnel has collapsed in the middle section and this blockage, combined with several springs in the tunnel, creates an ideal micro-climate for the bats, which is maintained at around 10 degrees C all year. When the temperature outside the tunnel is colder than this, cold air flows into the bottom of the tunnel where it is warmed by the water, and warmer air flows out along the top of the tunnel. During the summer the air flow is reversed, with warm air flowing into the top of the tunnel and being cooled as it flows back out over the water.

East portal

West portal

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/g/greywell_tunnel_basingstoke_canal/index1.shtml

teamslug
    Free Member

There is one between Penistone and Wharncliffe thats part of cycle network that is lit and has a smooth tarmac surface (apart from horse s*&t) Think its about half a mile long. I was up there last week but no pics..

annebr
    Free Member

Where’s that then ?

Maybe I should add another rule about captions or links for all photos.
    The idea of this thread was to get people out riding different areas. If you’ve been somewhere interesting, let us know where it is, other people might want to visit it too.

Terrible photo, I couldn’t get as close as I wanted to the portal, but I’m setting myself the challenge of a different tunnel every day this week and I missed the chance to get this one in daylight.

The River Stour as it flows through Kidderminster is a bit unusual, in that it splits in to three. In effect, Kidderminster is on two islands, although it’s so built over, you can’t tell.

Map of Kidderminster. This picture was taken where the river emerges by the 4 of A451 at the bottom of the map.

LabWormy

This delightful tunnel is at the west end of Scotswood Road, Newcastle.

It has always flooded, but has made a special effort for the last 9 months or so.

annebr
    Free Member

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member
    Where’s that then ?

Maybe I should add another rule about captions or links for all photos.
    The idea of this thread was to get people out riding different areas. If you’ve been somewhere interesting, let us know where it is, other people might want to visit it too.

ahh yes sorry, not really following the rules as it’s not this week but was only a few weeks ago. 🙂

This is a bridleway through a tunnel under the M25 just west of J17.

I was revisiting a place and photo I took nearly 10 years ago and was one of STW’s published computer background photos.

A better daylight picture of the River Stour as it emerges from a tunnel near the Worcester road in Kidderminster.

Another couple of poor photos, I couldn’t get any closer.
    More rock houses, near Fairfield, Kidderminster.

They’re on the cliff face just West of Hollies Farm near the centre of this map.
    http://binged.it/10lLXFu

Four for the price of one today. There’s a lot of soft sandstone round here. 😀

I don’t know if these were ever actual rock houses that people lived in, or just storage rooms for the pub.
    Pub car park at Wolverley.

Cookley Tunnel on the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal.

Small rock house/storage room at Wolverley lock.

Rock house in a private garden near Wolverley.

twojumpers

The underpass at Ovingdean on the A259 just outside Brighton

Trig points next week?

robhenry85
    Free Member

under the M1

under a train line

and a wild-card, a model of a train tunnel 😉

how about dead wood next week? anything from fallen tree to a fence post

DeeJay
    Free Member

Tunnel by Dee P Jay, on Flickr

Pedestrian access to Darlington town centre

BOGOF again today.
    First one is another poor quality long range photo through a barbed wire fence.
    I’m not even sure what it is.
    I’m assuming that a secret door in the side of the hill near Drakelow is a back entrance to Drakelow Tunnels.

Second one is a small tunnel carrying a stream under the Severn Valley railway as it runs alongside Northwood Lane, near Bewdley.
    It doesn’t look much, but I know someone who used to skateboard through it when he was younger.

tinribz
    Free Member

Action shot.

How about ‘derelict’.

tinribz
    Free Member

Three suggestions with only one vote each, so, given the recent weather, I’ve gone for fallen trees.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/weekly-photo-challenge-25313-31313-dead-wood-and-fallen-trees

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Annebr’s pic looks a bit green, lush and sunny for a pic taken a few weeks ago….

paul4stones

Sorry I’m not playing by the rules at all although I did ride past this on Friday. I’ll try harder next week. It’s a great idea and I’m late to the party.

Secret tunnel . . . You probably could ride down it but only if you’ve good lights and you’re brave 🙂

My flickr photos.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Weekly photo challenge. 18.3.13 – 24.3.13 – Tunnels’ is closed to new replies.