Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • water inside my frame
  • enduro-aid
    Free Member

ok so i have a 04 sworks enduro and have been riding in the rain and mud for a few days and washed the bike off last night

went out tonight to tweak brakes and lifted bike and heard a rush of water!! moved the bike from side to side and slosh slosh not good i thought looked over the frame and no drain points, so i dismantle the headset and forks and tip the bike forward…….out pours about a pint of dirty brown water…..How the **** did that get there??? and is this normal???

what should i do to stop this?

carlos
    Free Member

Had this with my Heckler after riding in wet conditions or washing, the cure was a lizard skin neoprene headset seal under the seat clamp where the split is and after each wet ride/wash remove the seat tube and turn the bike upside down and leave it like this over night.

roundwheels
    Free Member

you could drill holes in the area to let the water escape

carlos
    Free Member

^^^^^^^
    If you want to void your warranty 😐

foxyrider
    Free Member

Are you sure you couldnt drain it out of the seat tube? Most of the time it get into your frame via the seat tube IME 🙂

stoney
    Free Member

2, 3mm holes drilled in the bb shell, (taken from a vertical line through the bike) and the water will drain out.

dyna-ti

Put the bike next to a radiator and leave it on full over a day,that should help to dry it out 😕

epicyclo

Holes in the BB shell – this was almost always done on quality steel bikes. A dob of grease to seal them – if any water gathered it would push past the grease. Simple, effective.

There's plenty of places water can get into a frame, so it's obvious that it needs to be able to get out as well.

Drac

Happened with all my bikes and the easiest as mentioned is to take the seatpost out and tip the water out. No need to drill it only takes a few seconds to do each time.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Second Drac and foxyrider. Gets in through the seatpost. After a wet ride or cleaning just take the seatpost out, turn the bike upside down and leave it for a couple of minutes

z1ppy

guys you are aware of what an 04 enduro looks like?

It' doesn't have a seatpost attached to the BB and it's propbably a sealed tube due to the design… so he'd have to take the fork off to drain the bike..

I'd email specialized and ask them what there policy is, if you altered the frame by drilling a couple of holes in the BB, if you want to retain your life-time warrenty (assuming your the original owner).
    Otherwise live with it and wait for the frame to snap & get a replacement – as most of them seem to have broken, you don't see this bike around any more and they were majorly popular at the time
    😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

Point Taken Zippy 😉 BUt that still assumes there is no communicating hole in the seatpost to toptube (sort of) / body weld point – I'd still take the seatpost out and have a look! Otherwise there mush be a major leak somewhere as te BB shell and headset should be pretty well sealed IMHO! Otherwise there must be something wrong there – are you sure there are not little holes somewhere if not? Otherwise get a better sealed headset?

enduro-aid
    Free Member

I'm not the original owner but i do have a close contact with the original owner and he has all the documents so if it ever snapped i would just get him to get the replacement and pass it to me

the only two open parts of the frame are at the headset and the seat tube clamp area so it is possible the imgress is there just seems like a lot of water for such a tight access point

foxyrider
    Free Member

imgress is there just seems like a lot of water for such a tight access point

On a conventional bike I have seem laods of water get down the seat tubes esp if you change the saddle position during a wet ride!

z1ppy

email specizial then if there a chance of a warrenty claim, let them guide you…

enduro-aid
    Free Member

I'm kinda hoping there wont be a need for a warranty claim everyone ive spoke to and everything ive read says these frames are bombproof

I get that its a 5 year old frame that gets used 3/4 times a week but it doesnt get abused and doesnt get flung down downhill routes or anything so i would expect it to last another few years

Dibbs
    Free Member

Its a bike designed in the US for US riding conditions, you've probably voided the warranty by riding it in the wet anyway 😆

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘water inside my frame’ is closed to new replies.