Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Views on Schwalbe Tyres?
  • Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i been looking at these inparticular Schwalbe Hardclimber P/Protect Tyre 08. All my riding is in the alps and wondering what they are like for grip and riding?

many thanks

nick

richc
    Free Member

I find them grippy and light, however if they don't have snakeskin sidewalls, then they don't last long. if they do however, they are great.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

sorry wha is snakeskin sidewalls?

richc
    Free Member

if you look on the schwalbe website you can read all the different options you can get for each tyre.

Personally for the alps I would be looking at snakeskin or alpinecross versions

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

im on their site now and dont mention anything about sidewalls? am i blind?

also dont see the model tyre i was looking to buy either?

luked2
    Free Member

I've got a hardclimber. I bought it 'cos it was absurdly cheap and I so I didn't mind wearing it out just riding around. But it's very heavy, has quite a high rolling resistance, and doesn't grip particularly well (at least on Cambridgeshire clay). I quit using it once it started letting in lots of thorns.

I think I read somewhere it's designed for bike hire places where cheap and long lasting is what's required. It's probably very good at that. But I could be making that up.

I'd imagine it would need more skill than I have anywhere technical.

househusband

They make good, sturdy UST tyres that seat easily – but I'd never go near their general cross-country tyres that don't have the snakeskin.

zigzag69
    Free Member

I'd take the Vapor every time. Fitted a Hardclimber to the back of my iDrive (funnily enough I had a Vapor on the front) and went for a tootle around Glentress Black. Turns out the tyre is so named because it makes climbing (and everything else to be honest) in anything other than ideal conditions so difficult. One of the worst tyres I've had the misfortune to try.

vinnyeh

I'd beg to differ. Sort of.

I don't know the hardclimber, but imo most of the Schwalbe tires are pretty damned good for whatever type of riding they're designed for, although as richc says, if you're going to be anywhere near rock get the snakeskin version.

On the other hand, Conti Vapors are one of the worst tires I've had on my rims.

househusband

…Conti Vapors are one of the worst tires I've had on my rims.

Wholeheartedly concur!

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

whats needed to make them a ust tyre on to my rim if i dont have ust already?

if i have a 26×2.0 tyre can i use a 26×2.1 or 26×2.2??

nick

_leon_
    Free Member

I had the Fat Alberts – they're good in the dry but generally found them to be poor performing in winters.

xcstu
    Free Member

Schwalbe Tyres are one of the best I have ridden on IMO 😉

Highly rate the Racing Ralph, Nobby Nics and newish to me the Rocket Ron's…

If you look around they sometime come up cheap on ebay or classifieds but from a shop can be very expensive!

Not had any problems so far with sidewalls and rocky terrain….
    depands how heavy a rider you are I guess?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

right ok, any ideas about the size question?

xcstu
    Free Member

2.1 or bigger.. any smaller prob not worth it IMO…

cullen-bay
    Free Member

2.4 rocket ron's would be perfect for alps.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run Fat Alberts all year round and love them (std front, UST rear, both tubeless). Much better than any Conti tyre I've used.

That's Lakes, Alps, local, the lot.

See bike24 for some good deals.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

so i can put 2.2 tyres on my rims that normally have 2,0 on.

do i need to convert anything from inner tube to ust?

nick

xcstu
    Free Member

Ya 2.2 no problem.. most tyres would be no problem even with skinny inner tubes

if your rims are not ust already then you will need a kit to convert to tubeless…

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

o right, well tubeless tyres arent actually a cheaper option then lol….

_leon_
    Free Member

I'm running 2.35 Fat Alberts – HiBike.de usually offer decent deals on them

Wouldnt go less

bullheart
    Free Member

Love 'em. But the wear rate is high; seem to be a very soft compound on Nics, Ralphs and Alberts…

mattp
    Free Member

_leon_ – Member

I'm running 2.35 Fat Alberts – HiBike.de usually offer decent deals on them

good tip fellah – very cheap but i can't get the website to work, when i hit country grossbritanien it comes up with a message in german that i can't translate.

boblo
    Free Member

Ultremo's are great 🙂

grantway
    Free Member

I use the Fat Alberts great set of tyres

smudge
    Free Member
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Views on Schwalbe Tyres?’ is closed to new replies.