Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • very small crack in carbon bars ??
  • swainey
    Free Member

i just bought some used carbon bars and found a very small crack in them
    where the brake clamp has been should i use them ?

can they be repaired?

andrewh
    Free Member

Surface or structural?
    Pics please. Probably not a good idea to use them but some damage to the cosmetic layer you may get away with.

If in doubt maybe ask nicely at your local RAF base, they know what they are doing and have experts on such things. And special x-ray/scanning type machines.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

No. Way.

br
    Free Member

Not sure its the type of thing I'd buy s/h, that is 'bars' of any kind, not just carbon…

samuri
    Free Member

No way on earth.

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

Wouldnt you be able to complain to the seller?

Jon

alpin
    Free Member

errr…. NO!

swainey
    Free Member

the small crack is to the righthand side of my finger

speaker2animals

Rather worrying. Did the seller mention anything like this? If not ask for a refund/return.

swainey
    Free Member

im not worried about the 2 groves just the small crack

NZCol

Imagine dropping of a reasonably small, say 1.5ft drop at speed and the bar snapping clean off there. What would happen. Then think about it again. And bin them.

samuri
    Free Member

no no no no no.

That bar is broke. Chase the seller, show them that photo. If the bar was sold as undamaged they've lied.

swainey
    Free Member

dirtyrider
    Free Member

weird thumb/finger

4ndyB
    Free Member

They're dead.

Bin 'em.

coffeeking
    Free Member

From the poor picture it looks as though the crack was initiated by the grooves – no way in hell I'd touch those bars and I'm fairly blasé about carbon damage (my old swingarm had chips all over it and it never worried me). Bin them.

Onzadog
    Free Member

why are you not worried about the groves????

M6TTF
    Free Member

I wouldn't use them, and I wouldn't have sold them on either! Some right pikey f#%*ers about. I'd be pissed if I recieved them like that unless stated

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You BOUGHT second hand carbon?!

😯

I guess someone has too.

Those grooves looks like crimp damage from the clamps. Its hard to tell if the crack has propagated from them, but I'd not be taking the risk, not now not never.

tazzymtb

no way, I've just binned some very expensive carbons after a big off as I found some interesting stress cracks on them. Carbon bars a great but they are not something I'd risk if they look "iffy" at all.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yeah you'll be alright, make sure you use a headcam on every ride until the inevitable happens though.

wwaswas

is it just me who went straight to his posting history to try and find who the culprit was?

hora
    Free Member

is it just me who went straight to his posting history to try and find who the culprit was?

+1.

myheadsashed

It looks like either clamp has been over tightened or crash damage where the lever has been forced back into the bar.

I'd go back to the seller if he has not mention the damage.

njee20
    Free Member

That doesn't look very small to me! No way in hell I'd use that, I'd be chasing the seller.

matt_bl
    Free Member

Is this the first example of a unanimous response from the STW collective?

I wouldn't go near those bars, as someone said earlier, either damaged when clamping the brakes and shifters or a stack which has caused them to dig into the bars.

Matt

[Edit: Well clearly myhedsashed and I agree :lol:]

voodoo-rich

…very small crack…

Only use them for very small rides… 😉

Tim
    Free Member

Not a chance in hell i'd use them or try to repair them. Make them into an ornament.

I'll use s/h bars if they are chunky ones or i know the history, but even then i'd feel much safe with new – but s/h lighhtweight bars are a nono…s/h carbon is a big nono!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Naah, I'd never use those in a month of Sundays.

I'd be after a refund though….

Tim
    Free Member

swainey – Member

im not worried about the 2 groves just the small crack

the 2 grooves could well be worse than the crack – either way i'd be making that bar completely unusable

clubber
    Free Member

I buy second hand carbon. Obviously all of them will now fail on the next ride but I've never had any issue though I did return one set with similar damage. Every other set has been immaculate or only very obviously cosmetically marked.

The bars the OP has pictured are damaged and I'd be sending them back.

I do find the hysteria about carbon funny though 😯

hora
    Free Member

Op have you ever had bars fail on you?

Your Chevy-chase though. Your choice.

Tim
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    I do find the hysteria about carbon funny though

This is true…but the issue with carbon parts is, because of its properties, its hard to tell when it is damaged.

Alu bars can bend first (although not always – depending on how lightweight and also the heat treatment can make them brittle – a few years back Azonic downhill bars used to be notorious for snapping without warning). I've binned a 'drooping' set of generic oem riser bars. You can also see stress risers forming on them around them stem and brake levers

Carbon doesnt do this – its brilliant, but if they DO go failure is more or less instant. I'd happily ride carbon parts…but i'd want to know the history and hence would only buy brand new.

justa
    Free Member

have to agree with everyone – i have bought 2nd hand carbon bars before but they were perfect,

No way I would use those and i'd be getting my money back…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I run carbon on my bikes clubber, and some of it is pretty tatty, but you can't know the history of something you've not had from new.

Given carbon's failure mode from potentially non-visible damage, and given the safety criticality of handlebars (and to a lesser degree seatposts) I don't think its worth taking the risk with the unknown.

Not exactly hysterical, just cautious. Its for the individual to make the decision IMO.

YMMV.

clubber
    Free Member

Tim – I know, I understand carbon pretty well. The thing is I've also seen plenty of aluminium and Ti bars fail spectacularly, some when nearly new so I'm taking a pragmatic view of it…

Tim
    Free Member

clubber – Member

Tim – I know, I understand carbon pretty well. The thing is I've also seen plenty of aluminium and Ti bars fail spectacularly, some when nearly new so I'm taking a pragmatic view of it…

Thats fair enough. Never seen enough ti bars to see any go – but i have a set of ti flat trackers with VERY thin walls – i've stopped using them on my main bike as i dont trust them when hooning – although they'll go back on the singlespeed when its built back up (contradiction!).

I've seen alu bars go though. Not nice 🙁

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Listen to clubber, he knows a bit about breaking things..

clubber
    Free Member

Indeed I do. Just last night I was looking at the bike fleet wondering which was going to be next 🙁

FuzzyWuzzy

Just cut the ends off both sides and stick then on eBay as the latest trendy slim Japanese carbon bars, some fakenger in girls jeans will buy them (probably at twice the price you paid).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘very small crack in carbon bars ??’ is closed to new replies.