Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Velcro for orange five swing arm?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Where can I get some of this stuff? Is it self adhesive on the inside and just sticks under the swing arm? My old lizard skins one looks naff and tatty and is purely used for chain slap, so would prefer this minimal effect Velcro? Where to get it from though is the question?

vancoughcough
    Free Member

You could get inventive with some double sided tape…

matthew_h
    Free Member

You can buy rolls of sticky backed velcro from places like Halfords (but there are cheaper places – try ebay)

Works perfectly but you’ll end up with a load of the hook stuff leftover.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cool if it’s cheap enough not to bothered about the leftover…..sounds goodcthough will it really self stick to metal though? And endure mud/water etc etc without stickiness comig offb?

matthew_h
    Free Member

I had some on my Nomad’s swing arm on the corner where the chain caught it if it sucked up and it stayed there for ages. It did eventually come slightly adrift at the corners after a long time but never just fell off and was actually a nightmare to take off when I did come to replace it.

It’s cheap enough to replace when needed though anyway

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

About 8 layers of duct tape is where the party’s at – gets a bit chewed up quite quickly, so has the same damping effect as velcro but it never quite goes all the way through.

Replace it every year or so and you’re on to a low cost winner.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Excuse the ignorant question but when you are spending £2-3k on a bike, surely you shouldn’t need to bodge repairs/fixes like this – the bike should not have these issues, surely (for that price?)

Simon

You can get stick on velcro at most supermarkets.
    I used some to make may helmet mounted light more secure. It’s stayed put for over 2 years.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Excuse the ignorant question but when you are spending £2-3k on a bike, surely you shouldn’t need to bodge repairs/fixes like this – the bike should not have these issues, surely (for that price?)

Chains have been noisily rattling against chain stays for as long as we’ve been using derailleur gears. Bike value has little to do with it.

hexhamstu
    Free Member
    ask1974
    Free Member

Here are some images of a Velco solution on a nice new Orange 5.

Close up of underside

Length of swing arm

Inside of swingarm

Cheers.

ask1974
    Free Member

Wildly, I recon that Velcro you found would work – maybe go for 3cm though. Needs to cover the base and extend a couple of cm up the inside. Lots on Amazon.

flow
    Free Member

Ignorant isn’t the word I would have used personally…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers ask! looks spot on! something to do whilst i find a fix for my forks 🙁

ill have a look for some 3cm one then!

creaser
    Free Member

dunelm mill is the place, 50mm wide, 1m length £1.50 lasts ages

singlespeedstu

Do they not do a gold looking coating thar goes under the chainstay and costs £250?

I bet it’d be 20% less noisy.

*Hello flow* 😀

kayak23

Self amalgamating tape….

Northwind

So, is it the hairy side you’re supposed to use, or the jaggy side? I figured I had a 50% chance of being right and went with hairy.

singlespeedstu

Either works but “hairy” picks up less crap.

flow
    Free Member

Got anymore gears yet Stu?

Northwind

Cheers stu

singlespeedstu

flow – Member

Got anymore gears yet Stu?

As it goes there’s 149 gears in my garge.

Not counting gears that aren’t fitted to bikes. 😆

[small childs voice]How many gears have you got? [/small child voice]

flow
    Free Member

Ask your Mrs 😉

singlespeedstu

My Mrs?

You mean your mom?

Bagstard
    Free Member

Use the soft side, it is quieter. I’m a bit of a noise obsessive and have used thinner velcro on the inside of my LG1+ chainguide, super quiet now!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmmm well after 2 weeks of having the velcro on its come loose underneath off all the wet and mud etc 🙁

i just got some from ebay, is there any out there with a mega strong bonding on the back of it?

it stuck down fine in the first place, seemed pretty solid but its goosed now so after something stronger

JoeG
    Free Member

Use Scotch 2228 Moisture Sealing Electrical Tape. It’s a black rubber tape, I found out about it from Mountainbike Action’s Jan 2012 issue. I was able to buy it at Lowes home center in the US, but its available online http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-2228-Rubber-Mastic-Electrical/dp/B001ULCB64

dreednya

I used it on my old Heckler frame and now on my Mojo SL frame. Works a treat and reduces chain slap noise as well 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Velcro for orange five swing arm?’ is closed to new replies.