Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Van for MTB
  • whinge

whats the best small van for MTB and general use
    VW caddy?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Toss up between Caddy Maxi and Transit Connect for me.

I’d like 3 seats – so would really need to be a Caddy Maxi Life, with a couple seats removed. Some of the Connects have 3 seats in the front – though I’d not like to be the middle passenger…

Probably gonna be the caddy for me, because a) I’ve already got a MK1 caddy pick-up, and b)

they look ace when they’ve been ‘customised’ 😈

StuE
    Free Member

Buying new or used ? New Transit connect is much nicer to drive and better equipped than the caddy (I have driven both)

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I’ve got a caddy. Do like the transit connect but seeing how easily they get broken into put me off…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is it the custom or the connect that has the [b]possible urban myth[/b] issue with the wing mirror being booted off results in the central locking deactivating?.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Not heard of that but you can easily pop the drivers door lock which will unlock the back doors. Friend has his work van done this way last week.

P-Jay
    Free Member

VW vans usually come with a lot of scene tax, even the non Transporter ones. If you’re keeping it short-term then it might be a benefit as they don’t seem to depreciate much.

If you’re going to keep it for a long time and/or don’t care – I’d go for a 6sp Berlingo – ideally a slightly longer wheelbase than our work one as I have to turn the bars slightly to get 2 bikes in (terrible I know) as they seem to go for peanuts.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

they look ace when they’ve been ‘customised’

I do like that we all have opinions. 😈 😉

kayla1
    Free Member

Doblo. We loved ours.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Looked at an Nissan NV200, seems like a much bigger van without a bigger footprint than a caddy/berlingo/connect. Cheap and will apparently do 50-60mpg with a very light right foot!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

I do like that we all have opinions. 😈 😉

haha i knew someone would bite 😉

this would be it’s older brother though…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That’s almost cool though.

The Caddy (and most ‘customised’ vans) just look a bit like a Max Power reading teenager’s got an apprenticeship but still lives with mum+dad so has nothing else to spend his money on and hasn’t had to drive it to site yet. It looks a bit like a new pair of safety boots, it’s just wrong.

vannic96
    Free Member

I’ ve had a Caddy for a while now and to be honest, I think to a large extent that “German quality” is perceived rather than actual, interior plastics are definitely no better than they are in our Peugeot Boxer camper van. There are definitely better vans out there than a Caddy, very over rated!

Davesport

Berlingo L2 here (longer shell, same wheelbase). Plenty of space for three complete downhill bikes in the back plus gear. Three seats across the front. Middle seats a bit of a squeeze and not a prospect for a long journey.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

The Caddy (and most ‘customised’ vans) just look a bit like a Max Power reading teenager’s got an apprenticeship but still lives with mum+dad so has nothing else to spend his money on and hasn’t had to drive it to site yet. It looks a bit like a new pair of safety boots, it’s just wrong.

i did pick a somewhat garish one on purpose 😆

that said, I would go for a black one, with tinted windows (for security), some nicer alloys and a subtle suspension drop. I’d also keep a set of steelies with winter tyres for when it’s not so nice out.

Like this, but black, prob;

But then i did used to read Max Power when I lived at home, and have always had a soft spot for vans, and chavvy cars 😈

whinge

food for thought ta

zilog6128

Do like the transit connect but seeing how easily they get broken into put me off…

Don’t know about the connect but I’ve got a custom which I gather is similar. There’s a firmware update now so if the driver’s lock is forced then it doesn’t automatically open the back. Also I changed the stock lock to a more secure one after someone tampered with it but didn’t manage to break in (cheap & easy mod). He must’ve been totally inept, only realised after googling it just how crap the stock lock is!

paule
    Free Member

If you’re happy with 2 seats, I used to love my Vauxhall combo – just long enough to sleep in (I’m 6’1) next to a bike and I think fits 8*4 sheets with the front seat shifted flat.

Not very fashionable, but cheap, easy to drive and car derived so higher speed limits

sharkattack

that said, I would go for a black one, with tinted windows (for security),

I’ve got tinted windows on my T5. The tinting didn’t stop the brick that went right through it. In fact the whole window exploded, the fragments of which I am still finding to this day.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Looked at an Nissan NV200, seems like a much bigger van without a bigger footprint than a caddy/berlingo/connect. Cheap and will apparently do 50-60mpg with a very light right foot!

Yep. Perfect size, slightly longer than the berlingo, caddy etc etc. Mine is brilliant. Nearer 45mpg though in normal driving.

olly2097
    Free Member

Berlingo B9. Cause I’ve just bought one.

Cheap. Three bikes in back with wheels on and three seats. Loads of storage.

Not very dublife mind.

white101

I have a berlingo for work, 3 seats (I would hate to be in the middle) 3 bikes and plenty kit in the back.

If I am going solo I can drop the front passenger seat, break out the inflating mattress and get the bag on the ply lined floor. Works a treat. Also DAB radio!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Van for MTB’ is closed to new replies.