Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Twentyfour12 how was it for you?
  • wonnyj
    Free Member

Despite the conditions I had a great time in the 12hr pairs. I love muddy trail riding so it suited me although the conditions were deteriorating pretty quickly towards midnight so I was happy to finish.

Good job the sun came out on sunday to dry off the tent.

Loved the course, very hot shower and the trade area was good too (but nowhere to buy proper coffee). All in a very good event.

scottishbadger
    Free Member

The catering guys had proper coffee machine.

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

I had a great time, again, despite the pretty grotty conditions. Didnt become an issue until the chainsuck monster struck around 0130. Riding in a team of four gave me a chance to get things clean again but pushing through the mud annihilated my lower back though so the morning laps where off the cards, champion effort from the others in my team though.

the speed some of those fit folks where blasting along at demands alot of respect!

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah I had a good time, sadly the guy I was riding with was a total cock, never there for transitions, not taking it seriously, riding slowly. Real shame.

scottishbadger
    Free Member

Similar experience – my partner was a whinging loser. Slow as well, 40min laps at one point. Rubbish.

foxyrider
    Free Member

njee – not a mate then? 😉

scottishbadger
    Free Member

Not anymore.

Sam

We had a great time. Went in with no real expectations of finishing well, and after not really enjoying it last year I wasn't sure how it would go. We also had a couple of new team members who were absolute stars. The course was a huge improvement on last year I felt, climbs seemed a lot more manageable and the singletrack was fun as always. The rain really started to sap enthusiasm, as we drew towards midnight I was wishing we were in the 12 hour category. However the enthusiasm of the new guys pulled us through and we kept at it. We were looking at the podium right down to the wire but the xcracer guys just had more in the tank at the end – great racing. Finished up fourth with the top 4 teams all on the same lap so very close for a 24 hour race. In the end we were just very happy to beat Kinesis-Morvelo 🙂 Back again next year for sure.

GaryLake
    Free Member

24 solosit first time here. Finished 14th and didn't stop for a kip or anything so proper happy with that. Top 10 could have been on but as the sun came up, the night had taken its toll and I had nothing left in the tank.

Massive thanks to everyone trackside and on course shouting encouragement as I plodded around at a snail's pace towards the end. I was no 17 in the twin six jerseys on the Whyte E-120 (in case you could tell under the mud) wearing his pain face.

njee20
    Free Member

njee – not a mate then?

Not anymore.

Haha, oh don't be like that!

Nah I actually had a good laugh, I think the camaraderie is often better when the conditions are crap, it's a sort of 'mutual suffering' thing! Fair play to anyone who rode through the night, was bloody glad to finish at 12! I like the format, but I think it does add a real extra dimension of toughness for anyone doing the 24 hour, I remember the first year where the course just emptied at midnight!

scottishbadger
    Free Member

I'm taking a shotgun next time to shoot the live band.

joolzed
    Free Member

Event images are now up so you can relive all the fun;0)

Joolze

Still have Mr.Joolze's images to process too and a race report to finish….

stumpy01

Joolze – your link is kaputt:

Is this any better?

http://www.joolzedymond.com/joolzeD/Twentyfour12-2010.html

joolzed
    Free Member

Ohh ta for spotting that… Bloomin technology..;0)

stumpy01

I had a great time this yr. Just a shame it rained, although it was still fun.

I really enjoyed slip sliding down that rooty descent & around that marshalled switchback that dropped onto the fireroad. It was technical, but satisfyingly do-able.

I was in a team of 4 & we decided to have a break at midnight and resume in the morning, so all got 5hrs kip.
    We were camping along the track just past the massive bananas, opposite the random huge log & stump by the trail.

Does anyone know the bloke in the Leisure Lakes jersey that tried to bunnyhop the stump and failed massively? I was on the course at the time, but two of my team saw his attempt and reckoned it looked pretty painful. Hope he was OK.

I was pleased as I only saw 1 other 2010 'Mondeo' bike and that was a carbone S-works version. It seems quite exclusive!

The bloke with the crocodile strapped to his back wheelying around the start loop was ace!

thomthumb
    Free Member

Had an ace time, we were a just for fun team and our sights were set on having fun.

We did a total of 22 laps – would have been more if i'd actually gone out in the morning but i'd had enough – sorry team mates. the 3am mudfest had dampened my spirits, walked a lot of it.

we had 2 first timers (never raced at all) so it was awesome getting them involved.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Joolzed: hope there's more to come, bit gutted that there's only one of me despite the fact I was soloing… (no 17)

On a positive note, it's the first official event photo I've had that's actually a decent shot!

Hareydan
    Free Member

It was my first event and I loved it, despite the weather! Can't wait till next year. I was in a12 hr team so glad to finish at midnight, respect to those that carried on through the night. It was a pretty humbling experience seeing how fast some people can go on a bike!

scottishbadger
    Free Member

Joolze – thanks for not taking as many pictures of Nick, as requested!

njee20
    Free Member

Yes you did a good job there SB, I'm not gonna lie, I'm a bit disappointed to only have one photo from 8 laps 🙁

It's a good 'un at least, look at that look of concentration!

joolzed
    Free Member

GaryLake, you might want to check out the section at the rear of the gallery as there are a load of unnumbered images.
    Or you may just have been one of the unlucky ones that came past me when I was walking, changing cards, batteries or having a break….
    Dave has around 1500 images to sort through…

joolzed
    Free Member

Nick, there's def more than one of you in that lot. You'll have to check out the back end of the gallery where all the unnumbered pics are;0)

njee20
    Free Member

Huraah! The glasses make me easy to spot at least 🙂

lookmanohands
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member
    Does anyone know the bloke in the Leisure Lakes jersey that tried to bunnyhop the stump and failed massively? I was on the course at the time, but two of my team saw his attempt and reckoned it looked pretty painful. Hope he was OK.

erm that'll be me, broken helmet, cracked ribs, nice bruise on my noggin, shagged shoulder – foot pulled out of lefthand pedal at the crucial moment 😯

we did go on to finish 8th in mixed 😀

scottishbadger
    Free Member

Don't encourage him Joolze!

stumpy01

….lookmanohands……apparently it looked quite dramatic. One of my team mates said your helmet did a good job as you landed on your head!

Well done on the finish.

You gave us a chant for the rest of the event anyway and we were chanting at the more chilled riders to "jump the stump……jump the stump".
    No one did.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

mmmm………..what tyres for stumpjumping! 😆

there was someone with a camera by the stump but judging by the look of utter horror on her face i guess she didnt take a picture.

cheers for the concern stumpy01 (how ironic!)

carlphillips
    Free Member

joolze site no worky for me?

scottishbadger
    Free Member

Chuckle of the race was when I dropped someone on my wheel going up into the rooty bit in the plantation and all I heard was 'COME BACK HERE!!'. He continued to heckle at me in an amusing fahsion throughout that section, very amusing and summed up the atmosphere I think.

joolzed
    Free Member

fatmuthahubbard this link:

Twentyfour12

carlphillips
    Free Member

ye 2nd the good atmosphere, i had a young girl shout well done at me to which her father hurdled the tape jumped on his bike shouting "dont say well done to him, im miles faster" then proceeded to try to push me off my bike…made me laugh for a few miles after..

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

1st time I've been and had a really good weekend, great atmosphere people seemed very friendly and there was good banter where we were camped.

Course was challenging and fun to ride but thankfully not miles of endless riding up steep hills like Mayhem, enough to make it tough but broken up.

Best lap was in the monsoon at 9:30pm I had a total blast just slipping and sliding around in the dark, and was gutted I didn't have time for another as we did the 12hr team of 4.

The best bit of the weekend though, was finishing the 12hr at midnight and then taking up mechanic/bikewash and prep duties for my long time friend who was tackling the 24hr solo. He's a real nice guy and very selfless, Watching him come over the line to win was one of the best moments I've had at a race ever, so proud to be a part of his achievement, Chapeau Mr Bowles.

njee20
    Free Member

Was amused that Martyn also noted your uncharacteristic finishing of a race at Pippingford in his start line commentary 😉

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

That's 'cause I was giving him some 'sign' language from the midst of the pack.

Quality not quantity Nick! anyway, that's 6 in a row I've managed to finish now.

njee20
    Free Member

Well I lasted until the bermed descent on lap one at Pippingford, so I'm in no position to criticise, particularly considering the somewhat impressive result you managed!

I was surprised you were that far back at the start, thought it was harsh that Pagey got sent right to the back!

julianwilson
    Free Member

I remember the first year where the course just emptied at midnight!

heh, too few people up for 24hr and torchbearer this year: the course seemed to empty by about 80% at midnight this time!

We were very chuffed to finish 20th out of 68 men's 24hr teams, especially given that we:
    -are not a shop/industry/remotely sponsored or even 'helped out' team. (well alright, my wife did wash my bike for me at one point but that's it)
    -started the race with 4 out of 5 men and did the last 12 hours with only 3. 8)

The course was ace considering the battering that sunny Plympton had over the preceding week, particular fun being the wierd new 'bermy left hander to nadgery climb' which became rideable for those of us still going at 11.30.

I think i mentioned this on another thread before, but again as a competitor the 'finish the lap if you started it before 12' thing was much more fun and got me a last exhausted lap at 11.45. Much much better this way I think!

Torchbearer pairs for mrs julian and me next year I think.

carlphillips
    Free Member

oh while im here a wee moan about one rider from the uni club wearing the blue/turquoise tops, firstly please don't throw your gel wrappers to one side once you've used them, you got it out of your pocket easy enough so you can put it back in…yes it was me who shouted at you on the cliff climb (to add insult you threw it in the hedge around 20 metres after the gel bin!).
    secondly on the splitter climb don't shout 'rider' at me in a aggressive manner (firstly what effing side are you wanting past on you numpty) then as i politely get out of your way, not say thanks (it only takes a second) then to add insult you then fail to clear the section up ahead so i catch up (still riding) and say "can i just squeeze past please mate" to which you turn around,look at me and continue to walk in the middle of the track blocking me from getting past until i have to get off/stop then you casually get on your bike and ride off..you idiot learn some manners you are not the only person on the course.
    the top racers competing for podiums were all very courteous and all other riders i met/past me all had time for a good natured comment or encouragement so to them well done and thanks for making it a very nice race.
    torchbearer pairs jules eh..nice one you'll do well in that i reckon

njee20
    Free Member

particular fun being the wierd new 'bermy left hander to nadgery climb' which became rideable for those of us still going at 11.30.

Twas rideable the whole time, if littered with fallen riders on a number of occasions!

The bit that gave me most grief was just before the arena return, there was a little left hander with a short sharp climb, just didn't have enough traction and couldn't keep enough speed into the bottom!

julianwilson
    Free Member

that's not a very 'wee' moan now is it Phillips? 😉 Still, unlike most races its the first time I have heard you winge since the night before the race. 😆

However, it's Deeply uncool to overtake someone and then not clean the secion straight after! fmh might be a slow soloist (and a crap moaner!) but he could clean anything in Newnham in any weather even with 2 inflatable crocodiles on his back….

julianwilson
    Free Member

Twas rideable the whole time

I thought you stopped at midnight. 😉

The bit that gave me most grief was just before the arena return, there was a little left hander with a short sharp climb, just didn't have enough traction and couldn't keep enough speed into the bottom!

funnily enough despite being a slow biffer with a bestest lap time of 51 mins, I still cleaned that bit every lap!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Twentyfour12 how was it for you?’ is closed to new replies.