Viewing 40 posts - 2,521 through 2,560 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • Daffy

Andy – Member
    I have given up trying to find the longer PDW stays

Don’t bother. Just buy 5mm aluminium rod from eBay, bend it to shape over the guard and then cut to length when on the bike.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Out of curiosity.. What sort of weight are people’s Tripsters weighing in at? Had a n+1 road bike urge yesterday but am thinking a proper road bike wont be that much faster… It definitely won’t be as comfy.

somafunk

9.8kg/21.5lbs for this off-road set-up (just weighed it on my x-tools bike scales)

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

My X’s weighed in at 9.6kg. V1 with 32mm gatorskins. She seems to keep up with roadies.

I’ve always been interested to know how much slower it was over a full on road bike. My guess, not a lot slower.

Andy

Daffy – Member
    Andy – Member
    I have given up trying to find the longer PDW stays
    Don’t bother. Just buy 5mm aluminium rod from eBay, bend it to shape over the guard and then cut to length when on the bike.

Yep I had already arrived at the same conclusion…

Funny coincidence – Email from PDW to say they are in stock only $5 but $13.50 postage on top plus customs.

bluesmartie
    Free Member

My V1 Tripster weighs in at 8.3Kg with 32mm Schwalbe G ones onto Hunt Mason x Hunt 4 season wheels. Rotor 3D+ crank 1x setup onto Dura-ace rear mech, Enve seatpost,stem and handlebars, Enve forks, Enve bottle cage and Enve Garmin mount. Shimano hydro disc brakes. Fizik Aliante saddle.

Love my bike….

llatsni
    Free Member

Thinking about doing some bikepacking on my Tripster… anyone absolutely love (or hate!) a particular frame bag? Any other suggestions for gear carrying? (I have panniers for commuting, so in addition to those)

smarr
    Free Member

Would anyone be interested in buying my 55.5 Tripster ATR V1 frame with 105 components (mostly from the Racelight 105 build kit) plus TRP Hy/Rd, before I put it on either STW classifieds or eBay? I’m located in Wakefield.

I almost went Full Dentist back in January 2015. Bought from Freeborn January 2015, delivered March. It took me a long time to START building it… literally a year. In the meantime I commuted to work every day with my first (built!) bike, a cheap £250 Ridgeback Speed, which I’ve been using every day since and is perfectly fine for my needs.

It has been on a 2.04 mile test ride, as measured with Google Maps, on a nice dry summer day. This was to try out some Tannus solid tyres (which were *terrible*, of course). I then got the rear disc brake mounting surface faced at my local LBS, and since then I’ve been commuting with the Ridgeback and haven’t felt the desire to finish the Tripster build.

The Tripster frame has a very slight mark from when I took it to the the LBS and the drop bars rotated & touched the frame. The mark is hardly noticeable and will be easy to buff out, given that it’s Ti.

All components have been fitted to the correct torque with a Norbar torque wrench. The bottom bracket is lubed with nickel based anti-seize, and I also applied a tiny amount to the frame where the headset touches the Ti (rubbed tiny amount onto gloves, then touched the inside mounting surface), so you will need gloves for disassembly.

Full setup:

– TRP Hy/Rd front & rear (fitted)
    – The original Kinesis front carbon fork. The top has not been cut to size – it’s exactly as it was delivered.
    – KMC gold chain (fitted, plus spare new links)
    – Thomson seat tube clamp, plus the original Kinesis one.
    – FSA seat post & front chain rings
    – Hope seat post shim & Hope headset spacer thingys.
    – Hope Road Stainless Steel BB, with the interior lubed with Phil Wood Waterproof grease.
    – FSA headset (I had to get a new one because the original was ever so slightly misaligned)
    – 11spd cassette from the wheel
    – You can probably also have the disc rotor & bolts from the wheels, if you want/need them.
    – Original box for the frame, with packing foam & the clips (unused) to secure the rear brake cable to the frame.
    – It’s not currently immediately testrideable because I haven’t attached the front & rear shifting cables or set up the derailleurs. The cables are inserted into the shifters, and I think I made them the correct length, but they’re just dangling. The Hy/Rd brakes are all hooked up and work fine.

I’m looking for £1,400 for all the above. It currently has DMR V12 pedals attached, and a Selle Italia seat, but I’ll remove those for later use/sale.

I also have other things that I’ve bought for this perpetual never-built build (this is embarrasing…):

There’s the original wheels from the build kit (RS010, I think) that have never been used, RS685+RS785 hydro brakes kit (calipers+levers+cables+bleed tool etc, still boxed & unused) which will probably go on eBay in a few months, H Plus Son Archetype wheels with Shwalbe rim tape & never-ridden Marathon Plus tyres, White Industries CX11 hub (this was so expensive) at the rear and SP PD-8 dynamo at the front (both hand-built by a LBS w/ brass nips), a Tacx wheel build truing stand (my wheel building attempts failed miserably), King Cage Titanium bottle holder, Tubus Cosmo stainless rear rack…….. all these will probably go on eBay separately.

Although I sold my car and am now car-free, I basically really don’t need a posh Ti bike for long-distance travels – I’ve just lost the enthusiasm for it. I am, however, quite keen on something like a Canyon Commuter 6.0, so might end up buying something like that instead 🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

Smarr.. I’ve sent you a PM

eshoote
    Free Member

Picture of my new Tripster V2. Have been using it in the 650b set up, running 1.95 Vee Tire Rails and eats up rough stuff but still fast on road sections. Last weekend bikepacked a gravel route with more road so used the 700c 40mm nanos and not that noticeably faster. Here’s details on my set-up:

Tripster V2 review

@llatsni With bikepacking bags I genuinely think Apidura are about the best around and I’ve had the chance to use a few different brands recently (Ortleib, Blackburn, Alpkit).

DezB
    Free Member

So have I 🙂

Andy

eshoote really good review. Thanks for sharing. The Ritchey WCS Venturemax bars look intriguing. You say you had used Midges before. How do the compare to Midges, specifically the curve. Reason I ask is I find the curve on Midges way to tight for my hand size.

eshoote
    Free Member

Andy – They’re probably an inch deeper in the drop than the Midges so lot less tight in the curved section. The lowers on the Venturemaxs also sweep back further than the Midges which to me felt like they ended 2 inches short and my big hands kept slipping off the drops!

Andy

eshoote yes thats good to know – thanks. Midges are a no go for me because of the tight curve and i agree they also seem to end a couple inches too short. These look like a decent alternative to the silly expensive Woodchippers I was going to buy to put on.

drainfish
    Free Member

Finished the tripster at last: similar issues with getting my hands on the PDW long stays, but they arrived in the post yesterday! Built up as a 1×11

llatsni
    Free Member

@eshoote: cheers for the bag recommendation… and for pointing out your blog… I’m reading through like a man possessed! 😉

antonella
    Free Member

Hello there,
    has someone tried to fit the Tubus Airy rack with Avid BB7 disk brakes on the Tripster? They certainly don’t seem to go together.

Antonella

notmyrealname
    Free Member

For you guys who are running 1×11 set ups with 10/42 cassettes, how are you finding it?
    Is it ok for road rides, are the gaps between gears too big or not?

I’m thinking about going for a wide range cassette on my Tripster with something like a 46t or 48t up front for road rides.

matts
    Free Member

Out of curiosity.. What sort of weight are people’s Tripsters weighing in at? Had a n+1 road bike urge yesterday but am thinking a proper road bike wont be that much faster… It definitely won’t be as comfy.

I’ve always been interested to know how much slower it was over a full on road bike. My guess, not a lot slower.

Mine weighs about 9.5 in commuter mode (with guards and 37mm Voyager Hypers). And a smidge under 9 with 25mm road tyres.

In terms of it being slower. The single biggest difference between the Tripster and my race bike is undoubtedly how low I can get, as stack is quite high.

As an exercise in convincing myself I did the right thing taking the Tripster on holiday, I worked out how much faster I would have been up this 100 Climbs hill (Asterton Bank in Shropshire) if I had taken my race bike away with me instead. I used this hill, as the gradient is steep and constant.

https://www.strava.com/segments/739488?filter=overall

I put the numbers in to analytic cycling, and then reduced the total weight by 1.5Kg, the expected speed increase for the same power was 0.05m/s. That would have resulted in me saving about 5 or 6 seconds – meaning I would have stayed in exactly the same place on the leaderboard!

But I can tell you one thing for certain; going _down_ the hills around there would have been a damn site more sketchy with the China carbon rims on my race bike. 😯

cloudnine
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me which is the correct kinesis spare mech hanger.. Been meaning to buy one for ages

slowster
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me which is the correct kinesis spare mech hanger.. Been meaning to buy one for ages

The one you need will depend upon your frame number series, scroll down the page here. Triton have no. 9 in stock, but you may need to go direct to Upgrade Bikes otherwise.

fibre
    Free Member

A long shot question…..

Has anyone ridden both the V2 Tripster and the Salsa Warbird Carbon and what do they think of them?

atrthanks
    Free Member

Has anyone got a recommendation for a half frame bag that will fit a 54cm v1 ATR frame?

dmc
    Free Member

I use a revelate tangle medium perfect fit, back country Scott in aviemore are the cheapest

Dc

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Blackburn Outpost fits mine though there’s not really room for a bottle cage, but it has a bladder port so I used one from a small camelbak that worked well.

spearmintwino
    Free Member

How does everyone find the fork? I’ve designed my own Ti ‘do everything’ frame which is currently being built, and was considering this as a possible fork to go with it…

matts
    Free Member

Has anyone got a recommendation for a half frame bag that will fit a 54cm v1 ATR frame?

I’m running an Apidura one. They have a number of different sizes. I reckon that the ‘road small’ may fit the 54″. They have all the sizing on the ‘technical specifications’ tab.

https://www.apidura.com/product/road-frame-pack-small/

liketi
    Free Member

Hi all.
    I’ve just ordered a Tripster ATR v2 frame from my LBS, but I’m nervous they haven’t go the sizing right. Hoping you Tripster experts and bikerbruce may be able to help advise?
    I’ve ridden a Condor Mode titanium frame on and off for the past 8 years – absolutely love it, and had it fitted at Condor back in the day for L’Etape. It still fits nicely. As far as I can measure, it has a Top Tube Actual of 54cm, with a 110cm stem. Seat tube length is 55cm from midpoint to midpoint.
    I’m 176cm (circa 5’9.5″) tall, not hugely flexible at the mo due to fitness and rarely ride on the drops. My arm span is around 174cm, inside leg 32cm.
    My LBS staff got confused while sizing me for a v2. Using a diff brand and converting the geometries, I was deemed right for a Kinesis 54cm frame, and it was then suggested a 55.5cm might work. While sizing for that, a more senior member of staff thought the junior had got his virtual and actuals mixed up etc. And said I was definitely right for a Kinesis 51cm, which is what is now on order (with a 10% deposit).
    The more I think about it, I’m nervous a 51cm is too small.
    Completely appreciate it’s impossible for any of you to know for sure, but what’s your sense of it?
    Am so looking forward to the new bike and build. Hoping to do JOGLE and Iceland next year.
    Just wanna get it right. I don’t want a long stem to add reach and slow steering off-road, which I’ve heard can happen.
    Is it usual for men of my height to be riding a 51cm Tripster v2 frame?
    Thanks, everyone. Any insights much appreciated.

Daffy

The tripster V1 and V2 have almost identical geometry, so anyone riding a 54 or 51cm should be able to comment

From my own experience, Kinesis sizing is…interesting, I’m 182cm with a 32cm inside leg and so should be on either a 57cm or 60cm according to the sizing charts, but have a 55cm which is near identical in size and shape to my other road/cross bikes which are 56cm.

cinnamon_girl

My V1 was a 51, I’m 5’5″ with short body but long arms and legs. Reckon someone up to a couple of inches taller than me would be OK but, sorry, at 5’9.1/2″ it will definitely be too small for you.

slowster
    Free Member

I agree with Cinnamon Girl, 51cm for 5’9.5″ would almost certainly be too small (unless you normally have a very large saddle to bars drop and aero position which you wanted to replicate on the Tripster).

I’m 5’10”, and ride a 54cm V1 Tripster. 57cm is too large for me (despite Kinesis’ own size chart indicating that should be my size based on my height), and I think I would probably be OK with a 55.5cm, which I suspect would give me a more touring bike position with slightly higher bars. I’ve commented similarly at more length to another poster querying the Kinesis sizing on page 71 of this thread.

Where are you based?

liketi
    Free Member

Thank you all so far. I think I’ll query it at the shop in case not yet dispatched and take my Moda down too.
    Slowster: I’m in Bristol.

slowster
    Free Member

Not close to me then, otherwise you could try mine.

I am a bit concerned that what appears to have been better advice from one member of shop staff was overruled by someone more senior. We all make mistakes, but the point of someone supposedly more knowledgeable and experienced reviewing advice is to spot and correct mistakes, not to introduce them. In situations like that in any business, senior staff should always be mindful that if a junior has apparently given the wrong advice to a customer, they need to take their time double checking and be absolutely sure of it and of their facts before saying so.

If they have made a mistake, I hope they will acknowledge when questioned and agree to change the order, rather than, say, suggest 51cm will be OK with the maximum amount of spacers allowed and a 10mm or 20mm longer stem. There is some overlap between the sizes by virtue of the scope to vary the amount of spacers and stem length, but if 54cm, or even 55.5cm, is the ‘correct’ size for you (i.e. optimum for you, your height, riding position, flexibility etc.), then that is what you should get.

Daffy

I’m in Bristol (sort of) and have a 55.5, but suspect it’d be too big?

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

5’10 on a 54 here, i could happily go smaller, i could definitely not go bigger my stem is already slammed.

Depends on the type of riding you want to do on it.

liketi
    Free Member

I feel like buying beers all-round.
    For myself, because I now have a 54″ V2 ordered, along with the rest of what sounds like an exciting build.
    For the team at the LBS; who to be honest, have just been brilliant. To update you all, I was initially sized at a 54, then 51 frame. I queried it and the immediate response was they would sort it out, change the order if required, no issues at all. Have just been in for a proper fitting, video, tape measured, old frame spec’ d and matched, everything talked through, great conversation, no pressure, v enjoyable. Have every confidence in them.
    And for you, the community on here. For the advice, the kind willingness from slowster and daffy to try their frames if practical, and just for helping.
    Thank you, and I’ll share the build when done.

smurf
    Free Member

smarr – I’m interested in your half finished build. I can’t seem to send you a PM so can you please see my profile and drop me an email.

thanks, smurf

dgoodfellow
    Free Member

Signed up, just for this thread alone.
    Some really useful stuff on here.
    First post, here’s my Tripster
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/UEZVLz]Kinesis Tripster ATR V2[/url]

matts
    Free Member

Nice V2.

I love the clean cable routing of the V2, the rear caliper being inside the rear triangle, and the fact it can run 140mm rear rotors (I would still run a 160 on the front).

dc2.0

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’d be better off with a full-on road bike again since I’ve only ever used my tripster on road. Over the winter it sat on the turbo trainer(!)

It’s a 57cm V1 Tripster built with a mix of Ultegra-level (RS685 hydraulics) and 105-level components (mechs, cassette). I’ll probably split and keep the components for an Aithein disc build, but please let me know if you’d be interested in a complete bike before I post the frame up on classifieds.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,521 through 2,560 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.