Viewing 40 posts - 2,361 through 2,400 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • Ben_H

I’ve spent a happy year on a Kinesis 4S Disc, which is built with around Racelight Disc wheels and 105. I also have a Surly Ogre for around town and family duties (plus a MTB of course).

My riding is based around a regular 15-mile urban commute, 30-50-mile sociable road rides with mates and some touring. I’ve also got a 140km sportive in the diary for 2017; I usually do about 3-4 of these a year.

I had been thinking of replacing the 4S with an even more road-focused machine (swapping the 4S for commuting duties), but I’ve been looking instead at the Tripster ATR and Grand Fondo frames. I’d possibly have no need for the Ogre / 4S as a second, utility / commuter bike at that point.

I’m sorry if this has been answered on the thread already, but how have people decided between the GF Ti and Tripster? How do they do as an only road machine?

Thanks 🙂

Gee76
    Free Member

Wondered when you’d report here. Good to see ya got it ok and looking FWD to first ride reports

slackboy

My riding is based around a regular 15-mile urban commute, 30-50-mile sociable road rides with mates and some touring. I’ve also got a 140km sportive in the diary for 2017; I usually do about 3-4 of these a year.

Thats pretty much what I use my tripster for. I’m not a fast rider so the tripster suits me very well. I have it on 35mm challenge strada tyres. It rolls well and is really comfortable. I’m not any slower on the tripster than I was on my old ribble.

atrthanks
    Free Member

By “racing” I think they mean stuff like the Transcontinental Race rather than urban fixed gear crits, no?

Can’t race a TT bike in every competition either even though no one would quibble that they are race bikes.

matts
    Free Member

I’m sorry if this has been answered on the thread already, but how have people decided between the GF Ti and Tripster? How do they do as an only road machine?

For road only, I would go with the GF. It will take reasonably big tyres, guards, a rack, etc. But the geo is more road oriented. The big advantage of the Tripster is the clearances for bigger, knobbly tyres, and the more relaxed geo for offroading. If you have another bike specifically for that, then I’m not sure the Tripster has any major benefits.

Also, until the Tripster V2 arrives, the GF looks a bit sleeker (IMHO) due to the flat-mount calipers and internal routing.

I’m not sure if the GF frame is any lighter, but the fork is a few g lighter.

Vortexracing

Wondered when you’d report here. Good to see ya got it ok and looking FWD to first ride reports

🙂

This Conservatory Ceiling is getting the way of bike building, 5m lengths of plastic and wood means I can’t get to the bloody thing 🙁

jimmy

Thought I’d post some love for my tripster. Bought it in the January sales and without being used much until March it did feel like an unnecessary indulgence. Then….

I took extended parental leave…

Went touring…

Bit of “gravel”..

Rode home for a pint

Went touring again…

And it has been an overkill 20 mile/day commuter in between.

It’s an awesome bike, I love it.

Vortexracing

Well I’m hoping my will be used in as many guises as yours, inc a 25 mile either way Commute in the depths of winter. Lets hope it’s as good as you lot say 😯

whitecitadel
    Free Member

What size stem are people running on their tripsters? (especially anyone with a 57cm or 60cm frame…)

giantlee75
    Free Member

Think I am running a 90 on a 57 inch frame – feels just about right for me 🙂

Does anyone have any clear details of the version 2 frame – all I can find is rumours and no definitive answers ?

Lee

dc2.0

90 on a 57 here too. Use it with regular drops (for me it’s a glorified all-weather road bike for the crappy country roads around here). Might want a bit shorter if using off road. I did try with woodchippers but as that wasn’t really how I ended up using the bike, I swapped to drops.

matts
    Free Member

I have a 130 on my 57 most of the time with Cowbell bars. When I did the SDW I put on a 110. No issues with the handling, even if the suggestion is to run a shorter stem.

DezB
    Free Member

Built yet, Vortexracing ?

whitecitadel
    Free Member

Does anyone have any clear details of the version 2 frame – all I can find is rumours and no definitive answers ?

Lee

Here you go:
    http://shop.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Frames/Kinesis/Tripster-ATR-V2

£1850 RRP with no fork or headset included any more, not seen details of the forks but if you look at the pictures the old pictures we have seen before have a post mount front fork (same as the upgrade catalogue from May on Issuu) that is curved, the new pictures have a straight fork with a flat mount brake.

The problem, for me, is that while it has everything I was waiting for (flat mount, internal routing, bottle boss under downtube) if its over £2k for a frameset with fork your now into some serious money and there are a lot of players in this space – at £1350 street price for v1 with fork and headset they were playing in their own league/space pretty much.

They will be buying the frames in roubles or dollars, so I guess some is Brexit, but other is just price hike. GF Ti Disc at ~£1600 street price £1800 RRP with fork and headset was what I was expecting.

Might get a Mason Bokeh instead, its Alu not Ti (they have a Ti model coming, but its £2.5K I read on road.cc) but I think Kinesis went to far with the price increase 🙁

Guess total frame price will depend on how much the “optional” fork is…

whitecitadel
    Free Member

Thanks for answers on stem length, I had read a “short” (in road terms) stem was the right choice for the Tripster, I will look at a 90mm or 100mm I think (186cm/6’2″ here)

birdage

Glad I bought mine when I did. Would not be able to afford the new one and the changes made don’t make it any more desirable.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

That seems very expensive for the V2 Tripster.
    Before I bought my Tripster frame I was having a hunt around for alternatives and from what I remember the Enigma Ecroix was about that price and that was for frame and forks as well as being custom sized!

DrP

I’ve just had a V2 delivered and in the process of building it up – it replaced my cracked V1.

Some lovely touches –
    Flat section under the TT for shouldering – nice
    Bottle bosses UNDER the downtube – fuel bottle storage..
    Internal routing – neat, but now need new cables
    Bolt through rear – I don’ think I can change my V2 Kinesis CX hubs, so will get the QR dropouts when they turn up at upgrade.

Cool decals too!

DrP

mjhoo
    Free Member

There must be a good reason for the rear mudguard mount facing down but tell me how to install mudguard (sks chromoplastic) to ensure maximum tyre clearance? By drilling a hole to the mudguard and running the screw through it?

slackboy

That seems very expensive for the V2 Tripster.

It does, especially when you look back to the start of the thread and see that people were buying the full bike for less than that!

DrP

oof… Just seen the Upgrade website – £1850 for the frame, when yes, I paid £1795 for the whole bike 2 years ago….

Blimey.

DrP

whitecitadel
    Free Member

Prices on everything are up for sure, so its not all increase, but over £2k with fork and headset (lets guess at £2200) puts it really in the big leagues with Enigma, Moots, the Mason TI Bokeh and a lot more “bespoke” frames.

I think the tripster is a great frame, and have been waiting all summer to get a V2 when it came along… but lets face it – it is a mass produced frame from a Russian or Chinese factory. PlanetX are knocking these sort of frames out at £1000 (currently with 25% off as its the end of the world), I can see how the market might support £1600 shop price for Tripster V2 like the GF Ti, but I for one am not prepared to pay new pricing for V2 Tripster.

Which is kind of a bummer, as all the 60 and 57cm V1 frames are now out of stock… and I already grabbed some Shimano hydraulic shifters with flat mount brakes before the price of those went up any more 🙁

DrP

I already grabbed some Shimano hydraulic shifters with flat mount brakes before the price of those went up any more

Wanna sell???

DrP

jimmy

By drilling a hole to the mudguard and running the screw through it?

Yep

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The Bike Smith is doing the V1 plus a pair of Hope wheels for 1500 allegedly in all sizes

http://thebikesmith.co/2015-kinesis-tripster-atr-bundle-offer-hope-pro2-sun-ringle-inferno-23

Still won’t be getting my money thanks to reported failures and short warranty. Looking at Enigma and Mason currently.

pete68
    Free Member

Another similar bike to consider is the sabbath September ar1. Had mine for a couple of years now and it’s been really good. Plenty of clearance for a wider tyre too.

Vortexracing

Well mine came back from Bounce in Preston last night, with the BB fitted after having the threads cleaned (don’t ask 🙁 ) and the brakes bled. So, new road wheels fitted Hope 20Five’s with 28mm Schwalbe one pros’ and bar, stem, seat and post fitted.

Day off work Tomorrow whilst the Mrs is in Hospital for a day op, so full build should be complete by tomorrow night, ready for a right soaking on Saturday 🙂

scotroutes

You can still buy a Van Nicholas Amazon frame for less than £1,300.

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/5842/products/van-nicholas-amazon-touring-frame-inc-headset-and-50-off-any-fork.aspx

The Tripster is just a johnny-come-lately upstart…..

DezB
    Free Member

(don’t ask 🙁 )

Oh, please can I??

rewski
    Free Member

Which is kind of a bummer, as all the 60 and 57cm V1 frames are now out of stock…

I bought a V1 60 from Freeborn last week.

whitecitadel
    Free Member

Lots of choice out there granted – sites listing the V1 60cm I think have no link to what upgrade (distributor) has in stock and just assume they can order them all in.

DrP Shimano shifters/brakes not for sale, I can still send them back for the next 20 days for refund!

I have started looking at what Chinese carbon frames are available with big clearance and flout mount, you can get quiet a lot for $500, shame that $500 is a lot of £ these days!

Vortexracing

The ultegra BB cups went by hand for the first couple of threads and then when they got to that white stuff (I assume it’s a Loctite) type material it started to bind. Hence the brand new cups got knackered and the Ti threads were full of ally from the cups 🙁

Not a good start to a build 🙁 🙄

all OK now though thankfully 🙂

whitecitadel
    Free Member

So, new road wheels fitted Hope 20Five’s with 28mm Schwalbe one pros’ and bar, stem, seat and post fitted.

Be interested to see what you think of the one pro’s?

Anyone running G-One’s on their tripster?

Vortexracing

I have used the original Ones on my Genesis for all last winter and they have been OK, I’m curious to see if the pro’s are any less robust.

I suppose I will only find out on a dark, unlit road, during a winter rainstorm when I’m in a rush to get home 🙄

DezB
    Free Member

@vortex: Ugh!

@The “another similar bike to consider” crew: Looky at this beauty – http://www.whycycles.com/our-bikes/rcycle/ *swoon*
    (Anyone wanna buy a year old Tripster frame? 😆 )

cinnamon_girl

Reilly Bikes Gradient looks rather lovely:

http://grit.cx/reviews/reilly-cycleworks-gradient

@ Dez – hideously bent down tube. 😐

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The ultegra BB cups went by hand for the first couple of threads and then when they got to that white stuff (I assume it’s a Loctite) type material it started to bind

I recall that my BB bound up after only a few rotations of insert, I then just backed and forthed until it went all the way in.

DezB
    Free Member

hideously bent down tube

No. No. There is nothing hideous there. (Except the Laufs!)

bikerbruce
    Free Member

Just a sneaky update for you all, watch this space on the 18th Nov… the new improved v2 Tripster ATR is launched and available to order !

DrP

Week I’ve got a partially built up v2 frame hanging in my kitchen so neh neh neugh!!!

😉

DrP

Viewing 40 posts - 2,361 through 2,400 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.