Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

King cage…

matts
    Free Member
    dodgy
    Free Member

Seatpost slipping solution, I think.

I ordered one of these yesterday from Amazon (prime so I could get it quick), you can get similar USE ones elsewhere cheaper, but was in a hurry.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0013B9RWM

The size I ordered was 27.2mm inside diameter / 31.8mm outside diameter. It’s a much better fit inside the seat tube and after a short 25 miles today, seems to have stopped slipping (though my paranoid mind is telling me it still is!).

cinnamon_girl

dodgy – are you using the Tripster seat clamp? Many on here claimed it was useless so replaced mine with a Salsa one.

dodgy
    Free Member

Using the standard clamp, but thinking of also getting a better clamp. Important to note, though, that the supplied shim basically doesn’t fit the frame. So no matter what bodges we make in terms of beefier clamps, KCNC anti slip gadgets, carbon assembly paste, the seat tube is still larger than the supplied shim.

Even if I bought a 31.6mm post, it would probably still not be a good fit. Best to fix the root cause before adding on the gizmos 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

yes, i think i bought a 31.6 shim and the clamp (a salsa one) is closed up pretty tight.

maybe i will get a 31.8 one, as above, although it hasnt slipped.

dodgy
    Free Member

What size Salsa Lip-lock is the correct one for the Tripster?

bugcab
    Free Member

Mine has now arrived. Not doing several other jobs I am supposed to be doing so I can play a little.

The 31.6 USE ti post is a good fit but added a Thompson clamp for security.

Did the lower fork crown race slide over the carbon fork easily? Mine is a good 10-20mm short of the top of the fork but do not want to force it for it to come up short?

dodgy
    Free Member

PS. I ordered a KCNC seat post grip. It arrived today, but it doesn’t appear to work on frames that have a shim, unless I’m doing it wrong. The lip of the grip needs to be in contact with the seat clamp, that’s not possible with a shim.

Anyone else using one of these gizmos on a Tripster with a 27.2mm post and a shim?

I’m a little nervous using my ‘oversize’ shim mentioned further up in the thread, as I just went to remove it to test the KCNC grip, and it was a bit tricky to get out, perhaps months down the line it would be impossible to get out.

This issue really is the only thing blighting an otherwise tremendous frame.

matts
    Free Member

The 31.6 USE ti post is a good fit

Yeah. I just measured mine a number of times with the vernier caliper and it comes up exactly 31.6

Did the lower fork crown race slide over the carbon fork easily?

You need a setting tool:

[list][*]Proper one – http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-crown-race-setting-tool/
    [/*][*]Make your own – http://www.hackracer.com/2012/02/make-your-own-crown-race-setting-tool.html%5B/*%5D%5B/list%5D

Or you can tap it on very slowly and carefully by working round and round.

matts
    Free Member

Right. Let’s do this…

dodgy
    Free Member

Update on my slipping seatpost dramas. I’ve gone back to the original (slightly undersized for the seat tube) seatpost and fitted a Salsa lip lock. I’ve also cleaned the seatpost of grease, I’m aware of the inherent risks in doing so, but my seatpost no longer slips!

I’ll just have to remember to regularly remove the seatpost.

Anyone’s TRP Spyres squeal on the front brake like mine does?

jsh63
    Free Member

First ride today for me. I have a 31.6 carbon FSA seat post and it doesn’t slip. I have TRP HY/RD brakes which did squeal a bit.
    All in all a very nice comfy ride. Just need to get my position dialled in properly

bugcab
    Free Member

Got chaps at LBS to drive lower crown race home on fork. Still trying to find the time to finish as many other things to do and annual boarding trip imminent. Levers discs and hydraulics done tonight. Slightly different bleed to mtb but working very well now. Just chain, gear cables and bar tape and I can have a ride.

dodgy
    Free Member

Fully built ATR is now £2114.98 at Freeborn bikes, quite a hike in price from just a few weeks ago when it was £1909

cloudnine
    Free Member

Maybe wholesale prices have increased or spec has changed?

dodgy
    Free Member

The spec has changed, you now get Shimano 105 5800 and TRP Spyre brakes. But that was also the spec just before Christmas and the price then was £1909

brassneck

Did the lower fork crown race slide over the carbon fork easily? Mine is a good 10-20mm short of the top of the fork but do not want to force it for it to come up short?

I cut mine with a hacksaw to split it like an FSA job, as it butts up against cartridge bearings so isn’t a proper race.

If you don’t hear from me for a while, my fork probably fell off 🙂

jsh63
    Free Member

No one seems to be discounting as much as they were. They are like hens teeth so why would you?

easyrider
    Free Member

I was using the 31.6mm USE seatpost shim now I’ll be getting the 31.8 version. That’ll sort her! Otherwise the bikes great.

matts
    Free Member

Hmm. What size steerer bung did people get with their tripster?

I just got around to cutting the fork, and I can’t get the bung to go in. Mine is a 23mm bung, and the ID of the steerer is 22.2mm. WTF?

I see from somafunk’s dyno fitting that his plug is a 22mm

dodgy
    Free Member

When my bike was built up in the LBS, the mechanic couldn’t get the Kinesis supplied bung to fit, so he used another one he had handy.

somafunk

Matts : I guess they have supplied you with the wrong steerer bung, perhaps it is suitable for a fork from another one of their range but not the Tripster fork – very annoying for you.

On another note i have finally got my Tripster reconfigured and built up with the Jones bars, all that remains from the previous drop bar build is the Seatpost,seat and brakes, everything else has been changed.

No mudguards,

PDW mudguards fitted, may need a bit more fettling to get them to sit as close to the 35mm tyres as possible or i may leave them as they clear a 40mm tyre where they are.

Middleburn cranks fitted, big thanks to Matt @ Middleburn for messing about with the Cranks/Spider/Axle to get them spot on for correct chainline, one of the perils of fitting an off road group set to a road bike but all sorted now.

Pauls Love Levers work phenomenally well with the TRP Spyres, i had my fears over compatibility but thankfully the pull ratio gives a very solid feel and the lever is very comfortable in use.

Cabling for rear dynamo light has been fed alongside rear brake cable and Heat shrink tubing has been used to eel everything neat and out of the way of my clumsy dismounts/crashes.

Rear Son light and extra heat shrink sleeve over the cable to protect it.

Not the neatest but the best option for getting the rear light feed to the front Son Light.

More heat shrink over the cabling for feed from Dynamo hub to front light and for feed to USB charger, held in place with a couple of stick on cable clips – works surprisingly well and despite the picture there is ample clearance at top for tyre clearance.

CK rear hub onto Velocity Aileron rims, front is a Son 28 onto Aileron rim – both 32 spoke.

USB charging plug works well

It was worth the wait to get it all together so i’m now away out for a ride in the pissing rain for it’s first proper shakedown run, it’s also a good day to test my new rapha hooded rain jacket as it’s bouncing with rain outside so we’ll see if it works as well as promised.

dodgy
    Free Member

Stunning, cutting a hole in the headstock took some nerve I bet.

Tell us more about the PDW Fenders. I almost bought some, but the extended stays which I understand are required on the Tripster were out of stock so I went ahead with SKS Longboard instead, they give really good coverage but don’t look anywhere near as smart as your PDWs.

[list]
    [*]Did you need the extended stays for the rear?
    [*]What’s coverage like, it would be helpful if you could measure from the bottom of the front mudguard (from bottom of flap) to the ground, I’m obsessive about stopping mud spatter from getting to my chainset 🙂
    [*]Have you gone for the 45mm ‘city’ fenders?
    [*]Are they lighter than SKS equivelents?
    [/list]
    Thanks!

Edit: Should have added, is the front bracket of the mudguards attached in front of or behind the mudguard? (makes a difference to how low you can get the mudflap)

Xylene
    Free Member

What tyres are those? And how do they feel riding them?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Somafunk.. Looks spot on. I now have crank envy.
    It’s probably not a bar / lever option (although those levers are a thing of beauty) that I’d go for…
    I’m guess it probably makes it more manageable off road than drop bars.

Quirrel.. I think they are Clement xplor ush tyres

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Somafunk – been looking forward to those pics… and you’ve not disappointed! It looks very sorted, clearly worth the time and brain power you’ve put into it. I hope the shakedown went well today. Stuck a 50 in on mine this morning around the lanes, which was as pleasant as it always is. Happy days 🙂

somafunk

drip…..drip…..drip…..drip…….. 😀 , needless to say it now looks nothing like it did in the pics up there ^ – it’s been well n’ truly christened by cow shit, mud, sheep shit that appears to be made by gorilla tape as it sticks so bloody well, and 1 foot deep burn crossings . The mudguards did a surprisingly good job of stopping all the spray n’ mud yet the deluge from above put paid to any hope of a dry maiden voyage, the rapha rain jacket works as well as it should for £120 – kept me bone dry underneath and it seemed to breath rather well – i certainly never felt clammy, even when off the bike and hiding under a tree for a recuperative swig from the hip flask as i watched the rain bounce all around me. The bars are a revelation to the handling of the bike, i’m going to have to see what’s the maximum tyre width i can squeeze in the frame/fork as it now truly feels like a bike i could ride down/over/up anything – plenty of hand positions to experiment with and the 28 x 34 low gear could winch me up anything or it certainly feels like it – not the slightest bit of chain chatter either with the Clutch mech and i certainly didn’t hang about over the rocks or downhills.

I was getting worried as i had a niggle in the back of my mind over the set-up and whether or not i had made a very stupid/expensive mistake in speccing it entirely around the Jones bars but it feels so right….I can finally breath a sigh of relief and say, Yep….it works as i wanted it to

Did you need the extended stays for the rear? : Yeah i did and ordered the extended city stays direct from Paligap as they now have them in stock, I cut 5mm from the extended stays to get them closer to the 35mm tyres (Clemet X-plor ush), i could cut another 5mm from them so they sit snug but that would leave very little clearance for my 40mm Clement X-plor mso tyres so i don’t think i’ll bother.

What’s coverage like, it would be helpful if you could measure from the bottom of the front mudguard from bottom of flap to the ground, I’m obsessive about stopping mud spatter from getting to my chainset : It’s approx 11cm – on the road i never got any spray onto my feet or chain set so that’s a win for winter commuting.

Should have added, is the front bracket of the mudguards attached in front of or behind the mudguard? (makes a difference to how low you can get the mudflap) : It’s attached to the front of the fork crown – i doubt you’d be able to attach it to the rear as the bolt is countersunk, or you’d need a helluva long bolt to do it.

Have you gone for the 45mm ‘city’ fenders?: Yep

Are they lighter than SKS equivelents? : No idea but i doubt it, i used to run the SKS chromoplastics but these are far better, very solid and despite the warning on the PDW booklet about them not being suitable for off road duties they coped very well with what i was riding, i guess the slight extra clearance also helped. I drilled the rear mudguard where it passes under the rear bridge on the seat stays and fixed it directly to the frame with a ti brake bolt. no shakes or annoying rattles from them at all so i’m well chuffed with them.

I was going to weigh the components before i built everything up but i gave myself a talking to and slapped myself, i decided it was a stupid idea – i don’t care what it weighs as it rides just fantastic and i’d gain absolutely nothing by knowing how little or how much it weighs.

Time for a soak in the bath and a celebratory whisky 😀

dodgy
    Free Member

Thanks very much for taking the time out to answer my questions. I love my Tripster, glad you love yours too!

MussEd
    Free Member

Liking that. So glad there’s more to these lovely bikes than bloody seatpost shim quandaries!

matts
    Free Member

Well, I should be getting a 22mm bung sent out to me in the next couple of days. 🙂

somafunk

A result but still bloody annoying when you want to get it built up, what’s your build going to be?

bugcab
    Free Member

Not added pics before so not sure if below will work!

Managed to sneak in an hour after last minute holiday packing to get bike together enough for ride to newsagents to pick up a pint of milk and see how sizing/bar level is before heading off on hols.

Cut steerer do bartape add guards, rack and bottle cage (remove free chainstay protector and add some heli tape in its place) to finish.

Did not check steerer bung size but seems bound to be wrong. Will contact Kinesis (or should I go through Merlin?) upon return to UK.

Great to see your bike back together somafunk.

brassneck

Matts – who did you contact? Dealer or Kinesis or Upgrade?

Looks like my bung is too big too. It spent an hour in the freezer last night before it occurred to me I should just consult this thread 😀

matts
    Free Member

I contacted the dealer. Upgrade might deal with you personally, but will probably tell you to go to your retailer.

Was a bit annoying that they’ve shipped it to dealer in order to forward.

bluesmartie
    Free Member

Just ordered my wheelset!…..one of the brand new Mason X Hunt 4seasons disc. A collaboration between Hunt wheels and Dom Mason (designer of our beloved Tripster ATR) love the subtle understated look of them.

Check them out here: http://www.huntbikewheels.com/

dodgy
    Free Member

How much are the wheels in disc? They give a price and weight range on the site, but no specifics.

luddite
    Free Member

Anyone running a Tripster with flat bars?

pryally
    Free Member

selling my spyres and hy-rds which I’ve used on my tripster if anybody is interested (in the classified)

Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.