Viewing 40 posts - 1,401 through 1,440 (of 2,737 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • somafunk

I’m sure when the frame arrives and you get a chance to ride it you will be a picture of forgiveness, welcome to the club 😀

alansd1980

Went for this fork. Really hoping this wind dies down so I can get out Tuesday.

matts
    Free Member

Is that the 2014 Cooper you went for?

I quite like the look of the ’15 Cooper.

Sanny
    Free Member

Turner guy

The Thudbuster post is ace. I picked it up new for the princely sum of £60! It makes a real difference for battering through on rough trails. I looked at carbon posts and while the lower weight would be a possible benefit, they were just a bit too expensive for my tastes.

Cheers

Sanny

jsh63
    Free Member

I see that the street price has gone up a fair bit on the Tripster.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I am 5 11 with a 30/31 inch leg. Got a 56 road bike but thought the 57 might be a stretch?

I am 5ft 10 and take 32inch leg levis (!)

I bought the 55cm Tripster and swapped over the kit from my 2012 54cm Croix de fer.

The cockpit size is pretty much exactly the same, which surprised me as I thought I would have to go for a shorter stem – I am using a 110mm stem with cowbell bars and an inline seatpost.

I thought the tripster was designed for use with a shorter stem, and it certainly was slower steering than the croix, and so initially I thought that I should have gone a size up to allow a shorter stem.

However I am now used to the slower steering and liking it, which is about the same as my genesis equilibrium and therefore probably correct for a touring style bike.

if I had have gone a size up I think I would have had problems with the standover for offroad use.

Now I have 40c tyres on it I think it is spot on – perfect for offroad use and it was made for this size tyre.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The Thudbuster post is ace.

yes, but I wonder whether it is overkill on the ‘comfy’ tripster. I do have 40c tyres, a 27.2 ti seatpost and a flite ti gel flow saddle (with elastomer rail mounts) so maybe that is why I think so – there is no need for a suspension post on mine – and I have used USE XCRs a lot on hardtail mtbs.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

To all people about to get their tripsters…

check if the seattube is still reamed a bit large – beware of trying to do the supplied seatpost clamp up too tight and rounding the bolt.

If it is too large then try the beer can shim that someone on this thread previously used.

If you do round off the bolt you can dremel it out with a metal cutting disk, as long as you haven’t clamped the gap up too much.

And get some Salsa Cowbells…

matts
    Free Member

Thanks.

I already have a Thomson clamp. For starters I’m going to use a 27.2 post with a shim. I’ll measure the frame with calipers when it arrives and see how it looks. Use do a 31.8 shim which might suit if it is still a bit big.

I can’t find anywhere that has Cowbells at the moment.

jsh63
    Free Member

I thought the seat post size is 31.8

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I am using a USE shim on my post – not decided yet about getting a thicker post.

matts
    Free Member

I thought the seat post size is 31.8

It’s supposed to be 31.6

bish

I hate this thread!
    There’s absolutely nothing wrong with my straggler but now i want a tripster.
    Regards,
    A disgruntled surly owner.

dodgy
    Free Member

Just to clear up confusion on the seatpost. The frame seat tube will accept a seatpost of 31.6mm, but if you buy a built bike, it comes with a 27.2mm seatpost and a shim make it fit in the 31.6mm tube.

My post has been slipping on its first ride yesterday, so I’ve put some carbon assembly paste around the seatpost to see if that makes it grip better.

Otherwise, I’ll be on the hunt for a 31.6mm seatpost. Quite fancy the Thomson posts.

dodgy
    Free Member

Can someone with PDW ‘fenders’ measure how far the bottom of the front mudflap comes from the ground? I have SKS longboards fitted and I like that they come within about an inch or two of the road, hardly any splashes come up. If the PDW ones aren’t that long, I doubt if I’ll bother upgrading from the longboards.

Ta!

bugcab
    Free Member

” I can’t find anywhere that has Cowbells at the moment. “

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/salsa-cowbell-2-cyclocross-road-bars-318mm-os-1711-p.asp

Charlie the Bike monger was very helpful, I got mine from him. They are sitting in the loft along with every other great part to add to my frame if Winstanleys ever get round to sending it!

matts
    Free Member

Sadly they’re sold out too.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Whats the difference between cowbell 2s and cowbell 3s??

DrP

I think cowbell 2 is ‘better’.. More flex, lighter, better aluminium (or something).
    They don’t make cowbell 1.

DrP

(Has google stopped working, btw? 😉 )

bugcab
    Free Member

Anybody received a Tripster from Winstanleys? Mine ordered and funds taken in October, today is third scheduled delivery slot with no shipment confirmation so called up. Told not in stock (but they are looking in to it).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Anybody received a Tripster from Winstanleys?

they are normally pretty good – I wouldn’t worry too much – it is not as if you had an order pending at Shiny Bikes !!!

brassneck

Otherwise, I’ll be on the hunt for a 31.6mm seatpost. Quite fancy the Thomson posts.

Ragley carbons @ 24.99 on CRC. I’ll let you know what its like as:

“Personal Delivery”

This email has been generated because you have ordered private goods to be delivered to your works address.

Could you please collect your items from the Mailroom / Goods Bay between 15:30 ~ 17:00 , where a member of staff will be willing to release your goods from the Secure Storage area

w00t!!!!

matts
    Free Member

Anybody received a Tripster from Winstanleys? Mine ordered and funds taken in October

w00t! They just sent me a dispatch note at 12:50! 😯

bugcab
    Free Member

w00t! They just sent me a dispatch note at 12:50!.

When did you order?

matts
    Free Member

Mid November.

bugcab
    Free Member

An afternoon on the phone chasing I just got an e-mail saying 30th March next shipment.

I am now first on Winstanleys waiting list for a Tripster and we are sorry for telling you 8th December, 20th December, 12th January.

Apparently they did not get their full allocation of bikes, just one 54cm frame delivered to them, I would have been better to watch supplier and order through LBS or eevn better to just buy a bike that is available.. lesson learned.

Working out next steps but looks like I have full build parts to return or sell on if anyone cant find elsewhere as I really do not have any faith in their ability to supply the bike.

Cowbells, Grails on Hope Pro 2, RS785 STI, Ultegra CX Cranks, Ultegra Mech Sprocket etc.

Come on Mason cycles get your skates on with your ti wonder tourer!!!

bugcab
    Free Member

Enjoy your new frame, what size out of interest. They told me they received only one size 54 that was ordered before mine.

matts
    Free Member

That really sucks. 🙁 Mine is a size 57.

smarr
    Free Member

Merlin now has stock of 51, 57, 60cm.

They did also have 54cm but that disappeared quickly, so perhaps they only have one or two of each.

bugcab
    Free Member

deleted as repeated above PSA

bugcab
    Free Member

Merlin now has stock of 51, 57, 60cm.

They did also have 54cm but that disappeared quickly, so perhaps they only have one or two of each.

5pm e-mail to say in stock, ordered 54cm then posted (repeating yours SMARR thanks for update).

Lets hope Merlin are as good as they have always been to me in the passt!!

bugcab
    Free Member

just 60cm left going fast

evilsovereign
    Free Member

anyone wanting some cowbell 2’s. I’ve got a pair 380mm x 31.8mm . only done 1 ride. decided on On-One midges instead. picked up some Schwalbe marathon dureme’s on their site too. 700c x 40. thick as an elephants condom, they are. £15 an end. hoping to get out in the next couple of days. it’s the best bike I’ve had by far.

jsh63
    Free Member

Mine was delivered today from Shiny Bikes and I have to say that they were atrocious. It did get delivered eventually but the lied at every opportunity – even when they didn’t need to. The frame however is gert lush and I am looking forward to building it up. However, I wouldn’t deal with SB again as long as I have a hole in my a**e

velosam
    Free Member

Bugcab/ Paul if you are rhinking of selling the cowbells please drop me a line. Thanks. Sam. Email in profile.

bugcab
    Free Member

Bugcab/ Paul if you are rhinking of selling the cowbells please drop me a line. Thanks. Sam. Email in profile

Sorry Sam but looks like all will be kept and used as I have a tracking number from Merlin. 😀 .

See above, looks like a set of 2’s on offer elsewhere.

velosam
    Free Member

Cheers, Paul no problem. Those were too small. Post pics when you are done, I love looking at these.

matts
    Free Member

Mine was apparently delivered this morning. 😯 😀

Can’t even skulk off work early this afternoon as I have an offsite management meeting. 👿

brassneck

Now the important stuff. What bottle cage?

Quite liked that bird one (still might buy a Swift to replace my main mtb) but should I stick to the classic Elite wire frame thing?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,401 through 1,440 (of 2,737 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.