Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Top Gear in Argentina
  • allthepies
    Free Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/top-gear/11137879/Jeremy-Clarkson-stoned-as-Top-Gear-crew-abandon-cars-and-flee-Argentina.html

“They had provoked anger by using a Porsche with the registration number H982 FKL, which politicians and army veterans suggested could be seen to refer to the Falklands conflict.”

“The executive producer of Top Gear, Andy Wilman, said: “Top Gear production purchased three cars for a forthcoming programme; to suggest that this car was either chosen for its number plate, or that an alternative number plate was substituted for the original is completely untrue.”

Hmmmmm…

But.

“Local councillor Juan Manuel Romano said the digits 269 on the number plate of the Ford Mustang Mustang Richard Hammond was driving were close to the 255 Britons killed during the 1982 war. He added that the numbers 646 on James May’s Lotus could be taken as a reference to the 649 Argentinian casualties.”

Strokes chin.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Storm in a tea cup.

The things with numbers is they are either the same or they are not. Nearly doesn’t really count.

wwaswas

But.

I’ve always noticed that if people who want to look at numbers long enough they can always find some sort of connection to the point they’re trying to make.

“Ah, but the number plate had 487 on it and if you multiply the 4 and the 8 and then add 7 zeros it’s within a billion or so of the number of blades of grass that the Falkland Islands have on them”

etc etc

jambalaya
    Free Member

@wwaswas your post needs a picture of Carol Voederman

wwaswas

@wwaswas your post needs a picture of Carol Voederman

Carol, earlier;

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Never mind about the Falkvinas. Pay yer debts yer bleedin slackers.

Harry_the_Spider

My reg plate has a 10 in it which is close to the number of aircrew in a Vulcan. Previous one was 54 which is not exactly the number of miles that the Marines yomped.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I think the H982 FKL has been deliberate.

The other 2 are just nonsense. If you were going to do it, then why not get number plates that actually match?

scruff9252

That’s nothing. I have a 56 in my number plate… Only a fool wouldn’t see the link to the inaugural Eurovision contest won by those crafty Swiss songsmiths!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Surely it’s Malvinas in Argentina so MLV would have been the offensive letters, no?

edlong
    Free Member

As an accountant, this sort of thinking would make my job so much easier..

“What do you mean it’s not the right number? It’s A number, that’ll do, surely?”

buck53

I’m completely jaded by the ‘Top Gear Bantz’ that has been the hallmark of the recent series and don’t doubt for a second that the three of them would have filled the segment with tired stereotypes and so on, but this,

“Local councillor Juan Manuel Romano said the digits 269 on the number plate of the Ford Mustang Mustang Richard Hammond was driving were close to the 255 Britons killed during the 1982 war. He added that the numbers 646 on James May’s Lotus could be taken as a reference to the 649 Argentinian casualties.”

Is definitely reaching.

That being said, if Clarkson came round my gaff I’d find any excuse to ‘expel’ him as well.

buck53

Surely it’s Malvinas in Argentina so MLV would have been the offensive letters, no?

Not really, no. It’s broadly equivalent to wandering around Mumbai calling it ‘Bombay’.

the-muffin-man

Would it be hard to check the history of that Porsche – if it’s been re-registered in the last few months then it’s deliberate.

If not – then they’ve gone to a lot of trouble to locate a car with that reg.

johndoh
    Free Member

Apparently a Porsche of that model was originally registered with that plate in 1990.

mikeyp

It would be disappointing if they were deliberately trying to wind the Argentinians up. I hope not as it’s a great place to visit and the jingoism reflects badly on all Brits.

johndoh
    Free Member

They deliberately try to wind up everyone, it’s what they do. I wouldn’t be worrying yourself over it though.

natrix
    Free Member

The amount of planning that goes into the Top Gear programmes is huge. H982 FKL is far too close to 1982 Falklands for it to be a coincidence, they probably even tipped off the locals so as to get a news story……… 🙄

martinhutch

They love that kind of thing. Provoking then getting chased around by hicks in southern USA was the most entertaining thing on that particular show.

Drac

At least he didn’t drive a 911 through Pakistan.

Northwind

One time Hammond drove a Volvo V70 with the numberplate DFM across Scotland- we soon realised it was a reference to the Deep Fried Marsbar. So we ate his car.

kcal

As above – other two numbers – meh – H982 is much more considered, even get the patriotic ‘H’ bit into it too..

Klunk
    Free Member

top gear bottle it in argentina oh the ironing

cozz
    Free Member

h982fkl

registered 30/05/91 to Porsche 928 gt grey 4957cc petrol

ohnohesback
    Free Member

If only this wasn’t contrived publicity seeking; if only the TG * can’t say that word here * faced a long footsore walk along a deserted pampas highway…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Vehicle details

Vehicle make PORSCHE
    Date of first registration 30 May 1991
    Year of manufacture 1991
    Cylinder capacity (cc) 4957cc
    CO?Emissions Not available
    Fuel type PETROL
    Export marker No
    Vehicle status Tax not due
    Vehicle colour GREY

Taken from the Vehicle enquiry service HERE

Seems like genuine enough info. FKL originates in the Maidstone area IIRC and the age is right for an H reg car.

Septic peg would be proud of some of the tenuous links to numbers and letters made there.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Of all the cars with all of the reg numbers, TG chose that one.

project
    Free Member

bbc news now reporting the red car was smashed up by angry locals, hope it was insured.Licence fee money and all that.

ninfan
    Free Member

Should have used

matther01
    Free Member

First the Mexicans, now the Argies.

Shouldn’t have provoked them…but to be fair they have been getting a bit bolshie in the last couple of year’s about the Falklands.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

This just makes him look daft.

JulianA
    Free Member

johndoh – Member
    Apparently a Porsche of that model was originally registered with that plate in 1990.

According to the news on BBC radio this evening the car has had that plate since 2001 and it last changed hands this year. Coincidence and Argentine paranoia, I think.

Not that I’m suggesting the TG team is above stirring it.

Pook

Wait until the edit. What’s the chances of the H being partially obscured?

anagallis_arvensis

According to the news on BBC radio this evening the car has had that plate since 2001 and it last changed hands this year. Coincidence and Argentine paranoia, I think.

You really honestly think that?

JulianA
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    You really honestly think that?

Don’t know, don’t really care: just what was on the radio on the way home.

Does it really matter? Just another example of stupid Brits bating foreigners, maybe. There’s plenty of that going on.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Does a new series start soon?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

If they Argentinians don’t want to be upset by Top Gear driving around with a slightly inappropriate reg number on a Porche, , they shouldn’t have invaded the Falklands in 1982.

To be fair they started it.

RustySpanner

I’m not clicking on that.

Please tell me some of the stones/rocks/gravel actually hit him?
    🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Meh

nealglover
    Free Member

Not really, no. It’s broadly equivalent to wandering around Mumbai calling it ‘Bombay’.

Not really, no.

It’s “broadly equivalent” to driving round Mumbai in a car with the reg plate H982 BMY ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Top Gear in Argentina’ is closed to new replies.