Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Top Gear in Argentina
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Read his account of the incident in the Sunday Times.

It appears that the offending number plate was removed whilst in Chile after it was pointed out on Twitter that it may be inappropriate.

Looks like they are going to use the footage for a Christmas Special.

Sounds like it was a prety nasty incident but they should get some decent viewing figures from it.

speckledbob
    Free Member

Coincidence my arse. The trouble with the Argentinians is they don’t understand that it’s just a joke. If they understood the character that Clarkson was playing I’m sure they would have laughed along.

Top gear pillocks.

richmars

Well according to the DVLC website, H982 FKL is on a Porsche, tax due May 2015, MOT due June 2015.

gogg
    Free Member

Richmars beat me to it.
    😉

And only £230 a year to tax it!

Drac

Sounds like it was a prety nasty incident but they should get some decent viewing figures from it.

Sounded pretty horrific.

cynic-al
    Free Member

speckledbob – Member
    The trouble with the Argentinians is they don’t understand that it’s just a joke

So some Germans coming over dressed as Nazis, parading a V2 round London for instance, would be seen as a joke here?

I think that’s a reaonable position for the Argentinians. I for one don’t get his “jokes” about driving and cyclists, I imagine those who have lost loved ones in such situations may also struggle.

Clarkson is a role model for the mouth-frothing Mail-reading car-worshipping drivers who give us all grief on the roads and take lives with next to no punishment.

gobuchul
    Free Member

So some Germans coming over dressed as Nazis, parading a V2 round London for instance, would be seen as a joke here?

Would you threaten to kill them?

Would you throw stones through their car windows?

Anyway, he didn’t even have that number plate on his car in Argentina.

He may be a cock but it sounds as if it went a bit too far.

nealglover
    Free Member

Is that even similar to having an almost relevant three letter combination on a number plate ?

Or did you just overdo the “comparison” a bit maybe 🙄

Pook

Ah yes, i remember the 7th seaborne armoured Porsche 944 division valiantly driving into Stanley to liberate the town.

I may be confused though – I was only 6 months old at the time

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Hardly the same tho is it Al? 🙄

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Achtung !!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

People object to Clarkson getting run out of town?

hora
    Free Member

I think its utterly ridiculous. SO focused on the Falklands. The Argentinean government has just doubled public spending again. Its crackers, yet instead of the people turning on the government they are led and focused onto an island. If they got it and it was full of oil.

The Argentinean government would drive round in solid gold cars and still be heading to bankrupcy.

They are so far into debt its unreal.

Whats interesting- the Government subsidises the prices of heating, electricity, public transport etc at a fraction of the cost to the electorate. Its barking but like the Falklands – its all designed to deflect interest in the economy.

Whether TG did it intentional or not. I’m guessing here that it was a happy coincidence and the producers decided to go with it and that’d it’d stay oblivious to the locals but they could get a joke in their mid-program.

I think they are idiots. I love watching the old circa 2004 TG’s- still cutting but interesting and funny reviews. Its now turned into ‘look we’ve got a automatic fast car for old men’. Try and spot the manuals they use nowadays..

Pook

Hora in ‘it was better in my day’ shocker

hora
    Free Member

Their best overseas jaunt for me was across Syria. Still full of idiocracy but hey.

Pook

Idiocy?

Botswana was the best

hora
    Free Member

I kinda didn’t believe a old lowered 850 T5 could last without daily major mechanical intervention behind the scenes. Just stretched it a wee bit.

El-bent
    Free Member

We’ve got Prince Harry to do that sort of thing, better still considering his “heritage”.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, good comparison. 🙄

German Top Gear, or Hochste Gear or whatever it’s called, driving around in a Mercedes with the registration V2 BOM would be more equivalent. I don’t think we’d stone them.

gobuchul
    Free Member

German Top Gear, or Hochste Gear or whatever it’s called, driving around in a Mercedes with the registration V2 BOM would be more equivalent. I don’t think we’d stone them.

It’s more like German Top Gear driving through France with V2 BOM as a reg and then taking it off before they cross the Channel into England.

The Porsche didn’t have that reg when it was in Argentina.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I think the issue was less with the number plate but the presence of Jeremy Clarkson. If I saw him I’d be looking for something to throw at him.

nedrapier

It’s more like German Top Gear driving through France with V2 BOM as a reg and then taking it off before they cross the Channel into England.

And in a Ferrari, rather than a Mercedes.

Solo
    Free Member

Pook – Member
    Hora in ‘it was better in my day’ shocker

I will admit that TG made me laugh when I saw the log GC was towing behind his BMW, bounce high into the air and then proceeded to gain entry to the car’s interior via the tailgate window. The space shuttle reliant robin, was mildy interesting. When reminded of that episode, I wonder what would have happened if the exploding bolts had actually worked (IIRC that was the reason for failure of the task)
    Midly amusing Buffonery, if that’s your thing.

TG today, is just a program about three middle aged idiots, pratting about, usually in, around, with, cars. I view it as a strange sort of comedy show, rather than a car review program.
    In the end, the GF use to like to watch TG, for a laugh, while I went and did something else.
    😐

martinhutch

Botswana was the best

Nah. The Bolivian one was by far the best.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its now turned into ‘look we’ve got a automatic fast car for old men’. Try and spot the manuals they use nowadays..

Hora, try and find a performance supercar which doesnt have an automatic / DSG gearbox fitted as the primary means of changing gear. Manuals are pretty rare on top spec cars these days.

hora
    Free Member

the GF use to like to watch TG, for a laugh, while I went and did something else.

I often fall asleep whilst TG is on and wake up with mrshora having switched over to something else.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s “broadly equivalent” to driving round Mumbai in a car with the reg plate H982 BMY ?

Or maybe H944 BMY?

Let’s be honest, there are a few “facts” here.
    – TG chose the number plate deliberately as a “joke” (it was a fortunate coincidence for them that they found a car with the “right” number plate)
    – The Argies rather overreacted
    – TG are loving what this will do for their viewing figures (-1 here – haven’t watched TG since Jezza showed his true colours regarding cyclists)

Anyway, he didn’t even have that number plate on his car in Argentina.

Er, yes he did – they went to Chile after already having gone through Argentina, and it appears from the initial story that the car never made it to Chile anyway.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yup my analogy was extreme, but we are a reserved society, unlike the spicy Spanish speakers, and I referred to a war we won rather than an ongoing territorial dispute the Argentinians feel justified and aggrieved about.

My point is… everyone is keen to say “aw it’s OK, it went too far, poor JC”…rather than accept they have some responsibility AND JC also has responsibility for propogating an anti-cyclist approach among car drivers.

Of course it went too far, but WTF were they expecting?

njee20
    Free Member

TG chose the number plate deliberately as a “joke” (it was a fortunate coincidence for them that they found a car with the “right” number plate)

Is that a fact?

speckledbob
    Free Member

Cynic-al. Just to be clear I was having a dig at people who insist it’s all just his persona, a character that he plays. It’s not. He really is a pillock as I stated later in that post.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s a “fact”, njee – it would seem an incredible coincidence that there wasn’t some significance behind it – particularly given it was Jezza driving the Porsche, which isn’t what you’d have normally expected him to choose.

konabunny
    Free Member

I think the issue was less with the number plate but the presence of Jeremy Clarkson. If I saw him I’d be looking for something to throw at him.

I applaud the Argentinian mob for their taste.

RustySpanner

Now then.

In a carefully crafted advertising opportunity, the fourth ****, Andy Gilman, has denied any deliberate intent:

We really, genuinely think you’re stupid enough to believe anything we tell you.

It’s genius really isn’t it?

MSP

They hadn’t noticed the number plate, but had another set of plates that spelled “be11 end” in the boot anyway, I suppose they hadn’t noticed the possible double meaning of that either.

maxtorque

Of course, there is another way of avoiding later embarrassment about failed military interventions…….

(which is not to invade another nations sovereign territory and then be surprised when you get your ass handed to you on a plate by the enormously more capable military forces of said country)

boxelder

Why does he keep doing it though?
    The slope remark in Myanmar, the ‘eeny meeny’ thing.
    Even if you think these are just for laughs – why bother, because they’re not remotely funny.

loum
    Free Member

He’s the Dawkins of motoring.

RustySpanner

boxelder – Member

Why does he keep doing it though?

Because a significant percentage of those who watch TG enjoy a bit of lighthearted xenophobia?

aracer
    Free Member

It’s like Tourettes – he can’t help himself.

singletrackmind

Because a significant percentage of those who watch TG enjoy a bit of lighthearted xenophobia?

Because a significant percentage of people who watch Top Gear don’t know what xenophobia is ,or how to spell it.

probably

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Top Gear in Argentina’ is closed to new replies.