Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • This is why people go to Halfords..
  • tinsy
    Free Member

Despite all the bitching about Halfords, I have to say a big thank you to Steve at Lancaster, it was the last one of this size left in the country & Steve held this bike for me since last year no questions asked while we sorted out an issue with the CTW people (long story), Steve even DHL'd the bike down to me for £10…

The bike is actaully really nice, lovely finish on the frame with some excellent details on it, I built something similar for the wife last year and it cost me £400 to build (got stolen) this is £260 off the shelf(less with CTW). I am even a bit jelous to be honest nothing quite like a complete brand new bike.

Houns

So you got your wife a bike with your voucher?

tinsy
    Free Member

No sorry my wife got her a bike with her voucher, when I said I, I guess I meant we!! (confused?)

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

bike shop in selling a bike to a customer shocker

tinsy
    Free Member

Penrod I think you missed the value bit…

This cost me £400 to build from a £35 frame and liberal use of the classifieds and ebay & CRS and THE only upmarket stuff was the smattering of deore and SLX (upmarket?) and 9 speed.

tracknicko
    Free Member

is the head angle really steep or is it my eyes?

ianpinder
    Free Member

ignore me, its a cracking bike for the little money its going to cost you

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Are you umpah lumpahs, or are those bikes both 29ers in a huge room?

tinsy
    Free Member

ha ha.. theyre 14" frames so yep pretty small, wife is only little. 🙂

Head angle does look tight doesnt it… Think its mostly the weird angle I took the pic at.

I feel cheated I didnt see your unedited comment ianpinder!

tracknicko
    Free Member

might be cos they are tiny frames so every tube is on a serious angle to get up to the headtube height!

Ti29er
    Free Member

Tinsy.
    That looks very "wrong"!

Your saddle is far lower than your bars.
    If your seat is set correctly (and we'll assume it for the moment and that means you can't quite touch the floor even on tippie toes), then it looks like the top tube is way, way too long and there looks to be a spacer under the bars, so it might be you can drop them still further.

Either way, it looks like a Puch-me Pull-you bike!
    The front end for one rider, the rear end set up for another rider.

The white Halfords Bike – what model is it as it looks good?

tinsy
    Free Member

ti29r Theyre not mine they are the wifes new bike and her old red one.

I cant get the wife to run the saddle at the right height for pedaling as yet, she prefers to get her feet down easily, the white one (09 carrera Vulcan) is just as it came out the box last night and wifey wasnt in when I built it so I have some fettling with the spacers etc to do as yet. Its going to be while before it gets setup too as she is 8 months pregnant!

The pic red one was the minute I had finished building it last year so was all not setup quite right, and needed the steerer cutting down some more, it got nicked 2 weeks later and had only been used tiwce so it never did get cut. (and it had my supersonic race tyres on it damn)

jim_1980
    Free Member

both bikes look nice mate, coming form someone who has just built up a cheap run about for his doris i think you have done well mate. im sure your wife wont mind the set up of it all or admire what gear it has got or hasnt got, she will just enjoy it for those icecream runs you do with your kids.
    have you painted your lounge? i dont think much of the dado rail and come on tinsy can you not paint your radiator to match the white walls ;o)

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks great for the cash.

Some of the guys at my local Halfords are really enthusiastic and knowledgeable about bikes.

tinsy
    Free Member

1ts pic is the latest jim, with new tiles and white paint, including freshly painted radiator… the blue with mismatching flooring and nasty dirty rad was the old… or did you think I went for that look? 😉

carbon337
    Free Member

the cut out areas on those rear stays above the rear mech look identical to my old Boardman comp HT frame…..Mmm interesting.

jim_1980
    Free Member

as ive read on here many times its just hit and miss with halfords, but then again its the same with some DIY stores, its the luck of the draw who you speak to as to what advice you get. im sure tinsy knows enough to know when he gets told some BS

Eccles
    Free Member

Same dropouts, gusset cable guides and cable routing my Marin Rocky Ridge frame too. Same factory, I guess.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

i dont think much of the dado rail

That's not a dado rail, it's a picture rail. They're very 'ickle, remember?

jim_1980
    Free Member

well i dont know with you tinsy ;o) but reading on looks like you have a frame from the same stables as a Marin and a Boardman so has some pedigree ;o)

tinsy
    Free Member

Bike getting more bling without the sting by the minute… hold on I hate Marins!! 😉

Ti29er
    Free Member

If I'm right in thinking, Merida make the Carrera range for Halfords.

Thanks for setting me straight about the red bike, it looked awkward! 🙄

Country_Gent
    Free Member

Tinsy, all you need to do is get rid of the gash forks that come with those Carreras and you've got a great bike for getting the doris out for a ride.

Mine love's the one she got last year (same thing just in red) and has ridden it in Thetford, Bedgebury etc with no issues.

Much better that something for similar price from "CycleKing" or similar!

tinsy
    Free Member

CG, they do boing a bit, but will be fine for Tinsetta, I will however keep a eye out for some bargain SID's to lighten it up at some stage. It will never ever get stretched in its current build..

Swalsey
    Free Member

Its nice that people applaude good service, not just vocalise the poor aspects. I still don't think much of the Hartlepool halfords bike department… but I bet there are others that are good.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

my mum's got one of those carrera's, can remember the exact model, but the handling is very nice, steering just feels neutral, not twitch or slow, just a nice, no supprises, middle of the road handling.

mattbee

Merida used to make the Carrera bikes but about 2006ish when Merida got a UK importer Halfords started using the fantastically named Kind Bicycle Company, who supply frames for a raft of other brands.

My wife's Carrera/Merida LRS womens specific bike is six years old, still on all origoinal bearings and is running as well as ever.

I also have a Carrera/KBC frame, Kraken iirc, triple butted alu, 3 pounds and a bit even in 20" gate size. Lovely ride too. Hmmm…. may have to sort the spares pile out, I can feel a rebuild coming on…..

Northwind

The forks aren't great but do look after them, oil and bounce til clean after every ride, they don't last well at all if you don't- a combination of gappy seals and soft plastic bushings mean they soon develop play if there's muck in there and once they loosen, they'll judder and generally feel horrendous.

People like to knock Halfords but they do have some very nice toys at ridiculous prices. The Fury is £440 right now, and usually £550, it was a test winner and class leader at the full price, at £440 I don't think anything comes close. My Kraken was similiar, £350 for a really nice allround entry level bike. (which is now my rigid, with parts off it being used on 3 different bikes). Fantastic value. my local branch is pretty good too, they were brilliant with a warranty replacement part for me, robbed a new one straight off a display bike without ever asking for a receipt etc from me.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘This is why people go to Halfords..’ is closed to new replies.