• This topic has 69 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • The Turner 5-Spot is official dead :(
  • rickon
    Free Member

Just checked the Turner site, and it’s gone from their line-up totally now.

So it’s Burner or Sultan for AM duties now.

The problem is… I’m not going to spend £4k on a new bike, as I’ve got all the decent kit I like, but… I can’t go frame only, as that’s new fork, new wheels, and new tyres – which is almost as expensive as a full bike.

Oh well, looks like I’ll be riding my outdated, rubbish 5-Spot for a few years to come.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Or you become the first member of the Vintage 5 spot owners club – and lament it’s demise for ever more 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

First Mandela, now this?

phiiiiil

My 2005 HL 5-spot isn’t dead. I still rather like it, in fact. I keep pondering about doing it up rather than replacing it…

Vortexracing

Oh well, looks like I’ll be riding my outdated, rubbish 5-Spot for a few years to come.

same as me, although there are worse bikes we could be stuck with

trailmoggy
    Free Member

You can only try to kill a 5 spot, but it will never die

mattbee

I absolutely love my 05 HL Spot, just can’t see anything on the market today that I would want to replace it with.

dickie
    Free Member

Spend £2890 instead of £4K

EDIT: Won’t make a link today 🙁

remoterob
    Free Member

At least it went out as a thoroughbred, unsullied by 650b.

coogan
    Free Member

Sad indeed. Was considering a new one for my new frame, but not now. Selling my old DW 5 Spot frame as well.

On MTBR, Dave Turner said nobody wanted them anymore. All 27.5 and 29ners requested. Apparently had 25 5 Spot frames at discounted prices and only got one enquiry.

scandalous
    Free Member

Sad

Have owned every version and easily the best FS in my opinion.

May get a Horst for prosperity….. New project mmmmmmmmm

JCL
    Free Member

Get a Carbon Stumpy. Lighter,, better geo, no crappy bushings etc.

davosaurusrex

The fact that you think the Turner bushings are crappy is a clear indication you have no idea what you’re talking about. Specialized do make a nice riding bike but some of them eat bearings.

Alex

If Turner had ever made an 18.5 I’d have had another one like a shot. Original 2005 Horst link in 19.5 size was one of the nicest bikes I had but it was just a bit big. And the 17.5 was a bit short.

Turner 5 Spot – June 2005 – Current by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

My daughter has an original burner as well. Oh and the bushings/zerks were a brilliant solution.

JCL
    Free Member

The fact that you think the Turner bushings are crappy is a clear indication you have no idea what you’re talking about. Specialized do make a nice riding bike but some of them eat bearings.

How much force do you think it requires to actuate a multi-link bushing suspension design?

Let’s see who knows what they’re talking about.

scandalous
    Free Member

horses for courses – for me it was far superior to the stumpie.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

JCL coming from a spesh to a Turner I can say the crapy bushes are much better for uk conditions than the sealed bearings in spesh and most modern frames. Bearings with balls are designed to go round and round ( like skate board wheels) spreading the grease and the wear. Not rotate on a small part of their radius. The geo on the Turner always seemed bang on for the intended use and I expect its not much different to the spesh. The 5 spot is a cracking bike in all it’s incarnations Horst Dw etc. the company are superb to deal with, I will be keeping an eye out for any discounted frames I looked on both Turner and Silverfish web site and the discounted frames were either small or XXL so I can only assume all others sold out.
    Each to their own.

coogan
    Free Member

*cough* have a medium DW for sale *cough*

davosaurusrex

No idea of the actual figures but having owned both the increased force isn’t enough to make much difference in the real world. Given that and the low maintenance benefits of bushings over bearings I find it hard to see how you can describe Turner’s bushings as crappy. If you want to throw some maths at me crack on, makes f-all difference to my opinion. You like bearings, I like bushings, let’s call the whole thing off!

Matt_SS_xc

another 05 HL 5spot owner. Best bike ive ever had/ridden. Love it. No idea what I will one day replace it with…..Got to be good for another 10 years I reckon. Only the 27.2 seatpost is annoying.

Frankers
    Free Member

[/url]

[/url]

I loved my 5 Spot and Flux, great bikes

Alex

Neil you and I seem to have a similar bike history 😉

Frankers
    Free Member

I know Alex

Ok I’ll be honest…… I’ve been stalking your every move, and copying your bike purchases since 2004 😆

Russell96

Had my HL 5 Spot for nearly 6 years before I broke it, also broke my Soda in the same month, bloody upsetting on loosing both of them at the time. Went for another HL bike to replace the Spot a Hemlock with which I’m v/happy too.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hang on!!! Is the 5 spot really dead? Perhaps it’s only resting. We may have thought the Burner was dead in 2003 but its back now! Perhaps the spot will come back one day ???

coogan
    Free Member

I wondered if it might turn up as a carbon 27.5.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

What about the RFX six pack?
    160 mm carbon 650b 28 lb trail bike with 66 degree head angle?
    Could be good!

rickon
    Free Member

Well, I’ve just bought some 150mm pikes and a Monarch plus rc3 for it, with a narrow\wide ring, and will be buying a 42t rear ring for it.

Its going to be an awesome enduro machine. Long live the 5spot!

mactheknife

rickon – Member
    Well, I’ve just bought some 150mm pikes and a Monarch plus rc3 for it, with a narrow\wide ring, and will be buying a 42t rear ring for it.

Its going to be an awesome enduro machine. Long live the 5spot!

Rickon, are you me?? I have 150mm pikes on mine now and a Monarch plus on the way when Loco gets it in.

And ill happily admit every time i ride my 2011 5 spot i say to myself that there is not another bike that i could possibly enjoy more.

And regarding the bushings comment. I have just stripped my bike down completely to fit some PUSHed bushings and there was absolutely nothing wrong with any of the DW Link asswmbly except one rod which was worn causing movement in the rear end. Not bad for a bike that has been absolutely ragged for the last 2 years.

Long live the 5 spot 🙂

bigdean

Hmmm a trend forming. Also run my HL spot with 150 36rc2’s a 200mm x 50mm stroke shock and single ring setup.
    My only problem is its looks a bit silly without the mudguards as its a 22″

Untitled by Dean-B1, on Flickr

passtherizla
    Free Member

not lookers are they… wheres the bleach…?

rickon
    Free Member

😯

They’re gorgeous.

But then again I don’t fancy fat birds, and some love ’em.

Now, the world don’t move to the beat of just one drum,
    What might be right for you, may not be right for some.

rickon
    Free Member

passtherizla
    Free Member

dude those ARE the fat bird.

Rickon’s is alright, Horst is just the ugliest pivot going though. square back ends… meh.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

They just look like old Kona’s to me.

passtherizla
    Free Member

yeah possibly thats not good either IMO.

boxfish
    Free Member

I didn’t buy my 2012 5-spot for it’s looks…they are not the prettiest machines! 😆

coogan
    Free Member

I’ve had HL and DW versions. And the HL was the best looking one. And old Konas? They ‘borrowed’ the design, in fact rebadged Turners years back for racing if I’m right.

campfreddie
    Free Member

Just get a HL version and bring it up to 2013 spec. The results can be amazing with a bit of time, money and effort.

Here’s one I built.

Vortexracing

show and tell it is then. 😀

Great bikes, they just seem to get the job done without any hassle

P1040761 by eastham_david, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘The Turner 5-Spot is official dead :(’ is closed to new replies.