Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • the return of gorgeous George?
  • yossarian
    Free Member

I like GG. For all his flaws, he is a genuine seeker of the truth, supporter of the disadvantaged and a great orator. His speech, (ok more like nuclear assault) in congress lives long in the memory.

jota180
    Free Member

Ladbrokes may have decided to take Galloway off their book but others haven’t

if you fancy a punt Paddy Power have him at 3/1 with Labour at 1/5

yossarian
    Free Member

Well he’s back now!

56% of the vote. A massive landslide.

mrmo
    Free Member

makes you wonder what this says about the state of the main parties in the uk.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Is it not because he’s got his barrels of oil that he got from Saddam. The petrol stations are empty. Makes sense to get him in.

Is he really considered as a serious politician? I think he’s a self serving twunt!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Great result for him, disaster for everyone else.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Welcome back, TJ! 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ta

wwaswas

I think he’s a self serving twunt!

I’d agree.

However, the more that ‘fringe’ politicians and organisations start to succeed the sooner that the main political parties will begin to realise that they have to change what they’re doing. For that reason I think this is actually a good thing.

MSP

Yep, but he does frequently actually fight for the right causes.

DrJ

His speech, (ok more like nuclear assault) in congress lives long in the memory.

That. Totally owned the half-witted ‘Merkun congress critters. A beautiful thing to watch.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmKTVEyq1HU&feature=related[/video]

mrdestructo

7.6% attendance rate at Parliament last time he was in the seat. Imagine if he turned up even half the time he was supposed to!!!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’d agree.

And yet the majority of Bradford West voters appear to disagree with you.

I can’t believe that the Tories, the party of government, got 8.4% of the vote. As far as I can figure out the Tories have never received less than 30% of the vote in Bradford West for over a 100 years.

As for Labour, how they managed to lose so comprehensively in a seat which was the birthplace of the Labour Party – the Bradford Conference was when the Labour Party was founded, is really quite baffling. Specially when consider today’s demographics and that Galloway was a scottish catholic standing against a British asian muslim.

All in all a great day for British politics and the nation should be very grateful to the voters of Bradford West for finally shaking things up – something which was so desperately needed.

wwaswas

And yet the majority of Bradford West voters appear to disagree with you.

I think it was more about voting against labour/con/libdem than for Galloway though.

tbh if he stood where I am I’d vote for him. Albeit somewhat reluctantly.

jota180
    Free Member

The good people of Bradford West will certainly have their voice heard now

I don’t necessarily agree with everything he stands for and speaks for but he’s a great conviction politician with a big heart and we need more of those

scaredypants

Is he really considered as a serious politician?

[quote]I think he’s a self serving twunt! [/quote]It’s rude to answer your own question, you know

Pigface
    Free Member

I like the way he get under the skin of the establishment, a lot of what he says is bobbins but he makes some interesting points.

Even Murdochs filth diggers couldnt get him for anything and he must of been a major target.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think it was more about voting against labour/con/libdem than for Galloway though.

So a vote against self serving twunts then ?

Galloway is a conviction politician as you can get – that is precisely why he is where he is today.

Had he been just another self serving New Labour twunt, then he would still be a Labour Party MP in a safe Labour seat.

mcboo
    Free Member

Hugo Rifkind just tweeted “I stand by my long-term view that @georgegalloway is essentially a force for evil. But he’s awesomely good at it, isn’t he?”

Galloway is a self serving scoundrel but this morning I just have to take my hat off to the old rouge.

Much as I love to see EMili take it right on the chin again, it’s depressing to see racial identity politics so alive and well. Small c conservative Muslims voting as a block is scary for anyone who values this tolerant, gay friendly, liberated women, lets hold hands Britain of ours.

<Welcome back Teej>

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Small c conservative Muslims voting as a block is scary for anyone who values this tolerant, gay friendly, liberated women, lets hold hands Britain of ours.

Apparently Galloway did particularly well among young Asian Muslim female voters.

You do know that Galloway isn’t a Muslim don’t you mcboo ?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Balti Pastie anyone 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And as for your “lets hold hands Britain of ours” comment mcboo, Galloway had to, and did do, very well in non-muslim areas to get the staggeringly high vote he got.

So it seems very much that he was indeed the candidate who united voters from different communities, something which you appear to suggest is necessary.

bol

Hopefully this will give the Labour party the enormous kick up the flabby arse that it needs. Galloway may be self serving and simplistic, but he is also the definition of what Miliband lacks – impact.

wwaswas

ernie – I think the difference with George is that he’s an independent self-serving twunt rather than a corporate one 😉

mcboo
    Free Member

Yeh not sure how well George would do in Essex Ernie. 3 party same as usual politics do seem to be a thing of the past though. We’ve got a Green MP, SNP in Scotland, UKIP, now this…….watch Ken up the identity politics strategy after this. He could win in London [shudder].

Seems like a good time to leave the country. I’m off to Thailand…….catch-ye.

BillMC

Great result. It was v amusing that the Labour candidate couldn’t see fit to speak to assembled activitists. I shall toast GG tonight, trebles all round!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bol – Member

Hopefully this will give the Labour party the enormous kick up the flabby arse that it needs.

I doubt it. Tehy appear to already be creatingan alternative narrative for the defeat

Labour MP Toby Perkins …………..He attributed Mr Galloway’s success partly to his celebrity status from having appeared on TV reality show Celebrity Big Brother which he said had been “a very significant factor”

Matt24k
    Free Member

Self serving twunt = politician
    Politician = self serving twunt
    QED

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just looking at Bradford West area and its certainly a very diverse mix of segregated communities that come under that ward.

What are the politics that George has these days any how, I really wouldn’t have a clue?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

mcboo – Member

Seems like a good time to leave the country. I’m off to Thailand

Oh please don’t go.

wrecker
    Free Member

I think he’s benefited from the Milliband effect. That seat is a natural left wing seat (torys last won in 1970), who was the alternative? Can’t vote for libdem or labour. In steps a LW party with a familiar face and some clever words. Jobs a goodun’.
    EDIT: I see the monster raving loony party is still going! Good work!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

wrecker – he took votes from the tories and lib dems as well.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I see the monster raving loony party is still going! Good work!

Yes but the Tories only got 8.4%.

wrecker
    Free Member

Looking a results since the 70’s, the tories don’t stand a chance and now the libdems are tories in disguise; neither do they.
    The massive surprise here is the amount of votes lost by labour.
    First election that Marsha Singh hasn’t run for Labour for a long long time. I wonder how much of a difference that made?

binners

how they managed to lose so comprehensively in a seat which was the birthplace of the Labour Party – the Bradford Conference was when the Labour Party was founded, is really quite baffling.

baffling?

Really? Seriously?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes it’s baffling, since the latest opinion poll gives Labour a 10 point lead, and that’s before pastygate/jerrygate.

All of which suggests that the vote was for Galloway, and not against Labour.

IanMunro
    Free Member

ernie – I think the difference with George is that he’s an independent self-serving twunt rather than a corporate one

Quite.
    Now he’s head of the Bradford Spring, when’s going to install him self as head of state?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Only he didn’t stand as an independent.

Respect is registered as a political party with the Electoral Commission.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Out of interest does anyone know why he didn’t stand for re-election at Bethnal Green and Bow?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘the return of gorgeous George?’ is closed to new replies.