Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • The after life
  • avdave2

For the intelligent on here trying to convince the gullible, stop. Instead realise that there is a world of people out there who need exploiting and relieving of their cash. Put your efforts into that it’ll be a lot more productive. Embrace the mystical and get rich – I think there may be at least one person on here who has already started on that plan. 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

BenHouldsworth – Member

“science” is not about Truth but just another interpretation of our human world view

But science is systematic, observable, reliable, repeatable and more importantly testable within our current understanding of the universe

“science” is not a thing it is a method – and as a method it has boundaries and limitations, I fully agree (as a working scientist for the last 25 years) that for many phenomena & systems scientific method provides a satisfactory analysis and interpretation.
    But there are situations it does not “cope” with, either because of technical limitations, the low frequency of occurence of the phenomena it is trying to evaluate, or simply because the system trying to be studied is not sufficently defined to be quantitatively analysed.

I’m far from “anti science” but do recognise that not all situations are evaluable using “scientific method” and the use of the term “scientific” to imply 100% reliable and accurate is a fundamental misunderstanding, all IMO of course……

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

all situations are evaluable using “scientific method” and the use of the term “scientific” to imply 100% reliable and accurate is a fundamental misunderstanding

I fully agree but the joy of scientists is that they will continue to search for the answers and explainations rather than find them in ancient scripture and ritual.

hilldodger
    Free Member

BenHouldsworth – Member

….the joy of scientists is that they will continue to search for the answers and explainations rather than find them in ancient scripture and ritual

And the sadness of scientists is that if they do find new answers and explanations, they often have to modify them to comply with the beliefs of their reviewing peers who still are reading those ancient scriptures…….

…….well maybe 10 year old papers rather than ancient scriptures 😉

instanthit
    Free Member

The problem with posting anything on this forum about spirituality is that the majority of STW’ers are techies and have a scientific/technical background (this is not a criticism, just my viewpoint) and feel that everything has to have a rational explanation.
    How do you explain something that is beyond the comprehension of mankind?
    There are a number of enlightened beings who have incarnated on this earth over time (and yes i include Jesus as one of those beings) who have tried to teach us about spirituality but we often distort the teachings (and make up different religions) when the reality is that, it just is.
    Stop searching externally and look inwards, because all the answers are there, all you need to do is to accept and trust.
    Philosophical lesson over. Love and peace.

justatheory
    Free Member

There is a lady in my work who insists that her house is haunted because a pint glass in her kitchen spontaneously shattered. I explained to her that it is a common and know phenomenon for toughened or tempered glass to spontaneously shatter, but she wasn’t convinced.

Some people are determined to find a supernatural explanation and will ignore rational alternatives. No wonder there are so many charlatans making bucket loads of cash.

DezB
    Free Member

Huh?
    Not getting involved just 😆 ing

justatheory
    Free Member

all you need to do is to accept and trust.

Oh dear. I bet that’s what David Koresh used to say.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

in the passed in my house ive seen a wierd mist a couple of times very unexplainable

it’s call guff

we can usually explain it as being due to excessive consumption of eccles cakes.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Oh dear. I bet that’s what David Koresh used to say.

😆

gonefishin
    Free Member

You don’t. You say “I don’t understand that”, and then you try and figure it out. What you don’t do is make stuff up.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There’s some weird stuff on this tread but nothing is as weird as Ernie having named his cat after himself.

😀 Yep kinda weird, but just a happy coincidence – there’s no connection between my username and the name of my beloved deceased cat. Upon acquiring two kittens my gf’s 7 year old daughter suggested calling one Ian, “that’s a ridiculous name for a cat” I said, “you might as well call him Eric” (of monty python fame). And so it was that he was named Eric, and his brother of course became Ernie. And they truly proved to be a comedy double act.

My username on the other hand is simply to prove that there is life after death.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it be lovely if we all lived forever in a state of eternal bliss with access to all our loved ones and able to understand all of the deepest secrets of existence?

But we don’t. We die and rot.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

simonralli2 – Member
    Well here we go.

I joined a Spiritualist Church group and have undergone training in being a medium.

Training… is it just a single lesson, or like a once a week thing for say 6 weeks. How much does it cost, do you have to be assessed beforehand to see if you ‘have it’. Is there discount for being a Church member.

What will you do with your newly discovered skill that you have been ‘given’ ?

Are you not allowed to use it until you have your certificate ?

theotherjonv

if only I’d soaked my P11D’s in Old Spice, maybe the gits in the tax office would have more luck in finding them.

chewkw
    Free Member

LOL! So you men of science your clock is ticking and you will turn carbon in future… what next? That is the end you know. End. Fertiliser. Eaten by maggots. 😆

Also the basic experiment that I have suggested is not complicated really as I am sure you know how to eliminate sample bias. 😆

Or are your rational thoughts blocking your ability to carry out this simple experiment?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I believe in a thing called love.. It ain’t rational but it gives meaning to my existence and guides my actions. Maybe you don’t need this crutch to cope with life’s trauma and to be a good person? That’s nice. But I do.

iDave
    Free Member

LOL! So you men of science your clock is ticking and you will turn carbon in future… what next? That is the end you know. End. Fertiliser. Eaten by maggots

What’s wrong with that?

chewkw
    Free Member

iDave – Member

What’s wrong with that?

What’s next? i.e. after turning carbon.

iDave
    Free Member

Does it matter? Why do we need to think there’s something beyond decay? Can’t we just be glad we were alive and then shuffle off?

chewkw
    Free Member

iDave – Member

Does it matter? Why do we need to think there’s something beyond decay? Can’t we just be glad we were alive and then shuffle off?

More precisely what do you do if you know you’re dying and before turning carbon? What sort of arrangement do you have in place prior to your death and why?
    Bloody hell … watching Black Mirror and trying to type is not easy …

samuri
    Free Member

More precisely what do you do if you know you’re dying and before turning carbon? What sort of arrangement do you have in place prior to your death and why?

I’ll put an order in for a skip to be sent round my house. Throw me in once I’ve stiffed it, chuck any crap my family no longer need on top of that. I’ll be dead, I won’t care.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Upon acquiring two kittens my gf’s 7 year old daughter suggested calling one Ian, “that’s a ridiculous name for a cat” I said

Oi! It’s a **** awesome name for a cat! Up there with Colin.

The cat that has taken up residence in my house doesn’t have a name. A combination of not telling me what it’s name is, and it no doubt ignoring any name I might give it.
    Sometimes it seems to see things in the room that I don’t.
    Mostly mice.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Oil ! I want to be turned into crude oil !

It would be my way of putting something back into the environment.

You’ve gotta think of the environment.

Either that or turned into diamond. And used as on a diamond tipped drill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LifeGem

Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘The after life’ is closed to new replies.