Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • That new easton bars standard?
  • frank4short
    Free Member

Putting this here seeing as i’m not a premier user so can’t comment on the original story but I feel it’s comment that probably warrants consideration.

Now Easton are saying their new bars with their new standard are stronger, stiffer and lighter yet they’re much bigger than previous incantations. Now unless they’ve found some new wonder material that has a lower specific density than what they were making them out of before surely this means that the material they’re using has to be inherently thinner walled to loose this weight. Especially considering there’s more surface area to cover considering they’re actually greater in diameter and wider in width. So the next question on that basis has to be, whilst they may be stronger, etc, are Easton sacrificing versatility e.g. impact resistance to get this improved strength, etc?

As for want of a better way to put it. It seems very reminiscent of the early/mid 90’s when frame manufacturers discovered they could make significantly lighter, stronger alloy frames using massively oversized tubes. Though the problem was the alloy was so thin on many of the tubes, downtubes especially, that if you dropper your bikes sideways on a sharp rock you seriously risked damaging it as there simply wasn’t enough material there to cope with an off axis impact.

Now would anyone care to explain to me how Easton can overcome this? Or failing that let this just be somewhere to bitch about them introducing a new standard. Come on who the **** actually needs bars that are wider than 750mm anyway? Surely it just becomes counter productive once you start going significantly wider than the span of your shoulders.

S_J
    Free Member

Shopping list for my next ‘On Trend bike’;

34mm Fox forks
    35mm x 780 bars with 5mm stem
    Angleset headset
    650b wheels
    Amber wall tyres
    oh, and not forgetting, a 1×10 drivetrain, obviously!

Have I missed anything?

I’ll be rad core to the max with all this kit!

bluebird
    Free Member

S_J – maybe they are trends, but Fox 34mm, anglesets and 1×10 all make sense to me.

As for a new bar standard, I’m not convinced. I’ve never bust or even bent a pair for that matter. Easton Havens weigh 170g, that’s light enough for me.

frank4short
    Free Member

Reposted in this other thread seeing as I hadn’t seen it before I started this new thread. I reckon just let this one die as there’s no need to have 2 different threads about the same thing.

lipseal
    Free Member

Cash generating time of year again. They have to keep themselves in jobs you know.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Exactly. Screw progress, I wish I was still on a Muddy Fox Courier.

DezB
    Free Member

Have I missed anything?

Tapered headtube?
    Have you decided which chain guide you’d like?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Apparently some of these new suspension forks help… It’ll never catch on.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘That new easton bars standard?’ is closed to new replies.