Home Forums Bike Forum Terribly exciting pannier attachment question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Terribly exciting pannier attachment question
  • IHN

I’m looking for a lighter rear pannier rack. All the ones I’ve found seem to attach onto the rear drop out tab as expected, at the top they attach via two arms to, I assume, the top of each seatstay. My frame doesn’t have attachment points there, the only one is on seat stay bridge (where the old rack attached, and the mudguards do when I have them on)

So, do I need adaptors on the seat stays in order to use the attachments on the rack, or do I need an adaptor on the rack to get it to attach to the seat stay bridge? Or am I missing something?

scotroutes

You can get racks that attach to the seatstay bridge (some Axioms come with both brackets)

Or get a seatpost clamp with rack mounts built in (Giant do one, M:Part, Bontrager too)

flap_jack
    Free Member

P-clips onto the seat stays. Amazing how well it works. Had them on my Zaskar for years when it had to be a commuter by week-day…

jimmy

Get a tubus evo – attaches to the seatstay bridge by default. You need to do some careful bending of the supplied rod, or buy a pre-bent one. I just fitted mine – its super light. Rose bikes for best pricing, or SJS Cycles (for spare arms, too).

prawny

As the owner of one of the Axiom racks above, as long as your chains stays are log enough I’d go for the seat collar option as the rack being mostly behind the rear axle has a weird effect on the bike when climbing and accelerating.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As the owner of one of the Axiom racks above, as long as your chains stays are log enough I’d go for the seat collar option as the rack being mostly behind the rear axle has a weird effect on the bike when climbing and accelerating.

It shouldn’t make any difference, most panniers are adjustable anyway, mine have to be right on their rearwards limit to give any sort of heel clearance.

molgrips
    Free Member

I assume, the top of each seatstay. My frame doesn’t have attachment points there

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Terribly exciting pannier attachment question’ is closed to new replies.