Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Talk to me about trail lights.
  • 06awjudd
    Free Member

Hi all,
    Looking for a bit of advice. I’ve done a bit of research, but to be honest have very little knowledge on the matter, so any help would be much appreciated.

So to remind everyone, but the evenings are quickly drawing in, and it won’t be long until I’ll be needing a light to go out riding in the evening.

Looking for something with decent power, and a not-too-spotlighty pattern (not a ridiculously bright central spot, and contrasting dull halos).

Ideally both helmet and bar mount, and rechargeable too, with a reasonable battery life

Looking to spend around £60 or lower if possible, but will spend a little more if such a light doesn’t exist at this price.

Many thanks

jam-bo

Lumenator.

06awjudd
    Free Member

EDIT : Just seen the chinese cheapo light thread 🙄 doh!

Still would be interested to see what people uncover though.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Lumenator.

Looks fantastic, but £115 ! 😯

jam-bo

Worth every penny.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Worth every penny.

I’m sure, but it’s quite hard to swallow spending that amount on a torch!

mactheknife

Cheap and cheerful, yep the chinese lights are the way to go.

for something a bit more solid and well built but expensive try http://www.troutie.com. I bought a lumenator last year for the Inners day/night enduro and it is like the lamp of a thousand suns in full mode. Low and medium are absolutely plenty.

Also the cheap chinese lights have no real back up if things go wrong along with an inferior build quality so it may be a false economy buying cheap. Yes the Luminators are a bit pricey but if you will be using it a lot then it really is worth the cash.

Simon

You can get single cree lights on EBay from UK sellers for £15.
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=200855315142
    I got one as a spare light a fortnight ago, took a week to arrive. Battery wasn’t very well water proofed but I’ve wrapped it in self amalgamating tape. Only used it once so far but seems OK, wouldn’t want to rely on it as my only light though.
    Got a Hope R4 as my main light.

06awjudd
    Free Member

In two minds now.

Has anyone had an experience with one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cree-XML-XM-L-T6-1600LM-LED-Bicycle-Bike-Front-Torch-Head-Cycle-Lights-Headlight-/200855315142?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item2ec3e8e2c6

Seems a little stupid spending £115 on a torch when I could get 7 of those things and still be under £115.

Or something a little more robust looking, anybody used one of these bad boys :

http://www.magicshinebikelights.co.uk/magicshine-mj-808e-1000-lumen-bike-light-set-with-open-light-4.5ah-battery.php?it=294&ca=82&p=1&so=0

Simon

^EBay one is same as the one I bought.

Or a Lumenator looky likey from Hong Kong for £34, but you won’t get the same support as you would from MTB batteries/Smudge.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281126901995

06awjudd
    Free Member

^EBay one is same as the one I bought.

@Simon – how do you rate it?

EDIT: Battery life, power, charge time etc.

Bregante

I’ve just received one of these cheeky monkeys.

Looks well made and it’s absolutely tiny! Will post a review once Ive used it in anger.

06awjudd
    Free Member

I’ve just received one of these cheeky monkeys.

Link pls.

mactheknife

Bregante, that looks like a good bit of kit for the price, very Lumenator-esqe in the design. If its as good in the light department as quoted a decent battery might be a good upgrade for about 30 quid.

06awjudd
    Free Member

That looks like it could be perfect!

Could you give me an idea of how powerful it is?

tcairns
    Free Member

Go for the Singapore make lamps every time, used various lumens from 900 to 6000 over the last few years and never had one fail yet and if they do, chuck em and buy another…you know it makes sense. P.s. got a 6000 lumen lamp and battery for sale if interested…?

06awjudd
    Free Member

P.s. got a 6000 lumen lamp and battery for sale if interested…?

Not right now, still gonna do a little bit more research. Have you got a link for it, or photos?

Are the batteries universal for most of these lights? (assuming they are the same voltage of course)

tcairns
    Free Member

http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/tcairns1/media/image_zps91191393.jpg.html

Batteries are 18650’s joined together in either groups of 4, 6 or 8’s for longer burn times. check out lightmalls.com

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Depends on how much you will use them. I got am XML derivative which was way better than the fenix torches for output but sadly proved unreliable with lots of use. Now I ride at full pelt until 11pm every tuesdaynight I wanted something awesome with no cables massive runtime and warranty. I like buying uk made stuff so bought a coke can light from Exposure. It’s ace even if it cost a princely sum!

06awjudd
    Free Member

Depends on how much you will use them. I got am XML derivative which was way better than the fenix torches for output but sadly proved unreliable with lots of use. Now I ride at full pelt until 11pm every tuesdaynight I wanted something awesome with no cables massive runtime and warranty. I like buying uk made stuff so bought a coke can light from Exposure. It’s ace even if it cost a princely sum!

Cheers, yeah it would be nice to go for something quality and British, but I don’t have the money. Think I’ll end up going for the Red thing Bregante linked.

tenfoot

http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/bikehead-lights/

These are pretty good – uk based.

rockhopper70

that x2 does look very lumenator in all but the shape of the body…..
    and switches….and back plate……not really the same then…
    looking forward to the user review on here.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those X2s on order. There’s a thread on mtbr about them where almost everyone seems impressed (with the lamp if not the battery).

andybloomer
    Free Member

Big thank you to tcairns

Just ordered a 6000 lumin 7 LED job from lightmalls. 55 quid delivered.

Cheers

Bregante

Sorry for the delay but due to holidays and work commitments I have only just got round to using the lights I linked above. I’ve just been reminded by email that I promised a review – of sorts…

I’m not going to do any beam shots or owt but I ran it bar mounted last night on the Monday night pub ride and have to say that I was really, really impressed. Before I used it for the first time I fully charged it and left it switched on at full power next to my existing magicshine helmet light in my garage and was pleasantly surprised to see that 4 hours later it was still going strong where my lid lamp was on its last legs. It was a bit hot but that can only be expected in those circumstances.

On last nights ride it seemed to have loads of power on low and medium and a couple of other riders remarked how bright it was. There’s a large “hot spot” on the low setting and in the middle although this didn’t seem as noticeable when it was on full power and it just seems like an awful lot of light for the money.

The Velcro bag for attaching the battery was a bit crap with a. Stupidly long Velcro strap so I converted an old water bottle which should also address any waterproofing issues through the winter.

In summary – a bloody bargain!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

that’s interesting Russ; my gf is after a good light for offroad duties and can’t/doesn’t want to spend much. i might point her in that direction now!

alwillis

I went to bright bike lights.com and love mine. Thinking of going to ebay for spare batteries, maybe a second lamp for my lid- cant go far wrong with the price!

grum
    Free Member

I was gonna say just get the £15 XML lights but that X2 looks nice. Maybe get one of them for the bars and a cheapo XML light for your helmet.

Bregante

Grum, that’s the combo I’ve got and I couldn’t really want more! Two thirds of last nights ride I only used the lights on low and medium settings because I was casting shadows on the riders in front!

willstaffs
    Free Member

I have one of these, very impressed with it!

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights/

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Cheers Bregante, I’ve been looking at lights for ages and I’ve just ordered your link.

Now to find a torch for the lid.

Rich
    Free Member

Before I used it for the first time I fully charged it and left it switched on at full power next to my existing magicshine helmet light in my garage and was pleasantly surprised to see that 4 hours later it was still going strong

I bought the same light, but it sounds like you have a much better battery than me, as mine died after 1hr 15mins on full power.

The indicator dropped from 3 lights to the light switching off within 15ins!

Shame as the light output is great.

Mine drops to 2 lights the second you switch the bloody thing on.

Seems ok apart from that though – not tried a full run time yet though

Bregante

Rich – I was worried about the batteries too but figured I could always buy uk sourced replacements from smudge or similar if they don’t perform but so far so good and as you say the output is great so it would still be worth doing IMO.

Rich
    Free Member

Yes I plan to buy a better battery for it.
    Should still be good value all in.
    🙂

Northwind

Though, if the head unit lives up to its potential then it might be worth adding a better battery.

Since you specifically said not spotlighty, I’m going to say just avoid the old-style single XML lights, they are bright but very focussed- too focused IMO.

chip
    Free Member

I have the x2,
    It arrived last week after taking two weeks to arrive.

The light it gives off is excellent but due to being injured have only ran it for twenty minutes on full while trying it out. and all three indicator lights stayed lit.
    If I have got this right,
    If all three of the indicator lights are lit the battery power level is between 100% and 80%.
    If two are lit, level is between 80% and 50%, And one lit below 50%.

I don’t see how much better a £150 light could be and why you would need anymore light than the x2 could provide.
    Providing it lasts at least a year trouble free it will be well worth the money.

Rich
    Free Member

That sounds about right for the battery chip, just be aware that you may have a fairly rubbish battery.
    Mine stayed at 3 lights for an hour, then within another 15 minutes had died completely.

Don’t get caught out and carry a spare light/battery.

adamhood
    Free Member

hi I’m the one who was asking about the Chinese lights, after a bit of feedback and having brought the single lights off eBay before, me and a few riders from the area are clubbing together to buy a few of the twin light(about 10 at the moment :lol:)to get a bit of discount off an already cheap light!

I’ve only had one issue with a battery was dead on delivery but they sent another one out without question,
    I have had my other single cree for about a year and half, still running great but need a wider spread beam.
    Get one you will NOT be disappointed for the money!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about trail lights.’ is closed to new replies.