Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • Talk to me about trail lights.
  • Bregante

Just by way of an update I switched mine back on at 1130 this morning and left it running in the garage and in that time it’s gone from2lights down to one on the battery strength indicator but in my opinion it would still be quite useable to get you around off road. I would guess it has now dimmed somewhat but there’s is still a discernible difference between the low mid and high settings.

I used it for around 1.5 to 2 hrs last night – mostly at low and mid strength so all told it is easily doing 3 hrs

cr500dom
    Free Member

Cheers for the headsup on that one Bregante
    For £30 I`ve ordered one too(Fully expecting to buy a decent battery from smudge for it as well if the head is good)

hainman
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/big_f_d_d/m.html?item=300958158756&pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item4612810fa4&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
    anyone used this guys stuff,heard some good reviews and he’s local into the bargain so if anything goes wrong i can nip in and get it sorted..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Orange-Crush
    Free Member

For a fiver you can get a lens to convert the spotlighty ones to a spread beam. I haven’t used it off road yet with that lens but on road it is great and I see no reason why it would not be fine for off road, especially in conjunction with a lamp on hthe head. Several folk on the road run were dashing off to get a similar light after following me.

z1ppy

Hainman that’s Torchy the battery boy , as per the link he reviews and sells lights (batteries and bit & pieces). He obviously has a reasonable Ebay rep, and his site is often quoted as a source of light reviews.
    I find it hard to believe that he’s not slightly biased towards his own product, but from what I’ve seen it would only be ‘slightly’.

EDIT: It might not seem obvious from my post, but I would be happy buying from him. Those 3x XML fluxient lights look like one the best value and reliable high powered lights currently on sale
    pS: I’m awaiting delivery of one of those unts like Bregante’s, to compliment/replace my other lights.

hainman
    Free Member

Aye it does look pretty bright,i know a couple of guys who run his lights,just wondered if anyone here had bought his stuff,would have went done the chinese route but these lights look pretty bright and more than enough for my riding,or lack of,never done the night riding but think its time i wet my whistle

J273
    Free Member

@Warpcow @Begante – Do you have a linky to the thread over on MTBR for the solarstorm X2

Thanks for the link bregante – £28 bargain. Ive currently got a genuine Magicshine MJ872 not sure how much better the solarstorm would be though???? worth a punt at £28.

Wouldn’t mind reading the thread first on MTBR.

Northwind

J273 – Member

Thanks for the link bregante – £28 bargain. Ive currently got a genuine Magicshine MJ872 not sure how much better the solarstorm would be though????

Probably not any better tbh, on paper they should perform pretty similiarly, though a wee bit tighter beamed from the looks of it.

smudge
    Free Member

Thanks for the ups and mentions guys…. I’m finding it harder year by year to compete against the imports, and can see why if im honest. why spend £100+ for a light when you can spend £20.. i’d be the same if i’m honest. firstly, above all, make sure you wrap the battery in a plastic bag they’re not the bestest weatherproofed, so give it a chance.
    But thanks again for the support, the lights are a small part of the business now and I guess you can see why, but still got a new light coming out, so not giving up that easy 🙂

chambord
    Free Member

I’m just reading about trail lights as well since nights have started drawing in a bit and I want to do some night riding this year.

After reading a few threads here and there, is it right to conclude that if I buy a Chinese import then quality wont necessarily be great and I’m probably going to be replacing batteries and resoldering LEDs every now and again?

With this in mind should I just buy the cheapest I can find which has a reasonable case and just be ready to replace bits when the time comes?

Should I just get a decent one instead?

Northwind

chambord – Member

After reading a few threads here and there, is it right to conclude that if I buy a Chinese import then quality wont necessarily be great and I’m probably going to be replacing batteries and resoldering LEDs every now and again?

Right on the first, not on the second. If you choose a good one, then it’s as likely to give you a troublefree life as any other good light (more likely than if you buy a Hope 😉 ). Chinese lights come in all flavours from cheap and rubbish, to cheap and effective, to fairly expensive and unimpressive, to really very good. But people keep judging them based on the cheapest options.

ron70
    Free Member

Rich – Member
    Yes I plan to buy a better battery for it.
    Should still be good value all in.

So is there any links to better battery for that light that bregante has reviewed?

grum
    Free Member

Grum, that’s the combo I’ve got and I couldn’t really want more! Two thirds of last nights ride I only used the lights on low and medium settings because I was casting shadows on the riders in front!

Cool – I’ve decided to take a punt on this one with no battery pack – $26 including delivery:

http://www.lightmalls.com/solarstorm-x2-2u2-2000lm-led-bike-light-head-red-head-lamp-only

I’d like a link to a decent battery pack/charger as well It looks like from that thread that I should be able to use the existing battery packs off my cheapo single P7/XML lights for now.

This looks a bit better quality than the standard ones that you normally get:

http://www.lightmalls.com/black-color-8-4v-4-18650-battery-pack-for-bicycle-light

No idea how good the actual batteries are though.

DanW
    Free Member

Having had two C&B Seen Chinese lights get me through last winter my input would be that they are pretty good when they work but perhaps not lights to get you through 3 or 4 years of constant use. The connectors are starting to come off and one overheats very quickly so switches to s lower power output to keep cool. Given the price though of the imports you can afford to replace them.

For an alternative “mid” price option look at the Gloworm lights. I have just ordered and X2 v3 after lots of balancing of brightness/ lack of hot spots/ spread/ light weight/ run time/ attachment/ warranty quality/ flexibility on programming light options/ flexibility of changing flood, spot and super spot lenses/ cost and value. I will keep the working Chinese light until it dies then look to upgrade that too…

Rich
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the Solarstorm X2 uses the same battery connectors as Magicshine or Fluxient lights?

grum
    Free Member

It suggests it does in that thread on mtbr.

richmtb

I’ve got a C & B seen 1200 (ahem!) lumen light. Its pretty good but its a bit bulky to use as a helmet light. Its a bit spotty as well but a diffuser sorts this out

Any alternatives that are a bit smaller?

simonjj
    Free Member

Received my Luminator today from Smudge @ mtb batteries and had a ride tonight to give it a go and it really is very impressive, a few pics –
    Fitted using a Hope universal mount kit:

Setting 1:

Setting 2:

Setting 3:

Setting 4:

Going to secure the battery and cables better and probably get a KCNC bar adaptor to raise the light a bit over the cables.
    As has been said many times before it appears an excellent product with UK backup (if required).

cr500dom
    Free Member

My Solastorm light turned up today, looks pretty good for the money.

Anyone got a link for a US plug to UK socket adaptor that will work with this ?
    Cheers
    Dom

Do you not have a 240v shaver point cr500dom?

cr500dom
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR

Do you not have a 240v shaver point cr500dom?

I don’t think I do, ill check when I get home

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

My solar storm was dispatched today so I reckon 3 weeks and I’ll have it.

Yeah I’ll need an adapter too.

Mine took around 5 days to arrive

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ah ok, mines coming from Bregantes eBay link and says 20 days on the tracking.

5 days would be great mind.

Bregante

Mosey, mine said 20 days too but was here in around a week. Cr500dom I bought a travel adaptor plug from asda for about £2 for mine.

Incidentally the battery is still doing fine. Ran the light on medium power for two hours on Monday night and then left it one while we were in the pub after and in that time the battery level indicator went down from 3 to 2. I reckon I could easily have run it for another hour or so.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Brilliant, cheers for the link by the way mate.

I’ll grab an adapter from the shops this weekend.

Now I’ve got no excuse to miss evening rides.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Mine took a week to arrive 😀
    Shame I cant try it out as I re-broke my Coccyx at the weekend so I have a couple of weeks off the bike 😥

Thanks again for the Heads up Bregante, really looking forward to trying it out, all the blokes in the office who ride are after one now as well.
    I just wanted to try it for that money, I still use an Airbike P7 from On-one as my main light (Although I really want a Spidereyes from Troutie having tried out the 1/2 spidereyes Prototype)
    and I have some LUU / Nukeproof lights too but never really use them.
    Should sell them really

robbieh
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130941337921?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

Cheers for the link Bregante, just got mine today, very impressed with the power of it. Awesome piece of kit for the money, certainly don,t need to spend any more. Much brighter than my cheapo P7 light which was £30 2 winters ago and still going strong. It’ll go on my helmet now 😀

matty456
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a Cree XML U2. I want to try it as a helmet torch, can anyone tell me where I can get a helmet mount and 1 meter extension cable so I can put the battery in my camelbak.
    Ta.

cchris2lou

same one but dispatched from the uk ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Bright-2x-CREE-XML-U2-LED-Bicycle-Bike-Light-Set-Red-Black-5000-Lumen-UK-/200959831751?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&var=&hash=item2eca23aec7

it says 5000 lms in title but 1800 in description ?
    and only 3 modes , high , low and flashing .

shortcut

Are folk still using those P7 torches that everyone was raving about a course of years ago?

tomtomthepipersson

My X2 solarstorm arrived today, from the link Bregante posted – 5 working days since I ordered and curiously it has a uk postal label on the packaging.

It’s pretty bright – the lowest of the 3 settings is as bright as my Joysick (400lm) but a fair bit less spot-like.

Rich
    Free Member

I’ve just been out for a ride with the Solarstorm x2 on the bars and Joystick Mk7 on my helmet.

With mine the lowest setting on the Solarstorm is nowhere near as bright as the Joystick. In fact the Joystick is almost as bright as the Solarstorm on high where it is brightest, it just doesn’t have the spread of light the Solarstorm provides.

Tbh I expected the SS to be brighter, but it does have a good spread of light, and is really good when complimented with a head-light.

I’m doing run tests to see how long the battery lasts on the different settings.

On the highest setting the battery died after 1hr 15mins.

On the medium setting I have ran it for 1hr 30mins so far and all 3 indicators are still on. I’ll use it again next time without charging and see how long it lasts.

Probably a boring post but just a bit of info for someone considering one of these lights.

06awjudd
    Free Member

On the highest setting the battery died after 1hr 15mins.

That’s sad, I saw on another forum, someone managed to get there’s to last 4 hours with stock batteries on “high”.

I bought one of these in the end
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XM-L-XML-T6-LED-Bicycle-bike-Head-Light-Headlamp-Rechargeable-Head-Light-/330958001861?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item4d0ea256c5

I had one as my only light mounted on the handlebars, I was really impressed! Haven’t done a battery test, but it was on high for well over an hour and it was fine. Brightness wise, I was impressed, although the spread wasn’t amazing. On the twistier trails, a little bit of guess work was required, as I couldn’t illuminate directly in front of me, and 10m down the trail, which made things interesting at speed.
    For £18, a superb light.

I think having one of the above on my helmet, and ordering an Solarstorm X2 for the handlebars should be the perfect combination though!
    Can’t really see how some of the European branded lights can possibly be seen as good value with these about.

Rich
    Free Member

I saw on another forum, someone managed to get there’s to last 4 hours with stock batteries on “high”.

I struggle to believe it could ever last that long with the standard sized battery.

One thing I did notice though is if you leave the light on high with no airflow, then after around 5 minutes the light will step down to the lowest setting until it has cooled down.

This would obviously last longer and could trick people into thinking it has lasted that long at the highest setting.

I don’t know, just an idea. 🙂

06awjudd
    Free Member

I struggle to believe it could ever last that long with the standard sized battery.

One thing I did notice though is if you leave the light on high with no airflow, then after around 5 minutes the light will step down to the lowest setting until it has cooled down.

This would obviously last longer and could trick people into thinking it has lasted that long at the highest setting.

I don’t know, just an idea.

Maybe explains it 😉
    From what I’ve heard, high isn’t exactly needed, as medium is bright enough for general use.

stu1972
    Free Member

I don’t see how much better a £150 light could be and why you would need anymore light than the x2 could provide.
    Providing it lasts at least a year trouble free it will be well worth the money.

1. Step Regulation
    2. Better thermal conductivity
    3. Better quality control
    4. Better quality cells
    5. No visible PWM in lower output modes

You get the idea…

My impression of the Chinese units is as follows:

Purchased a cbseen unit and proceeded to ride a red route at a local trail centre in the pitch black.
    Without warning the light immediately switches off during a descent. Not good.

It gets returned under warranty and the battery pack now has issues. Never again.

Luckily at the time I had a helmet mounted torch on which Is a Zebralight SC600. It is by no means cheap but I can ride trails with that light alone & can trust it.

Personally I would say that for towpaths / roads / urban then Chinese is fine. For riding at warp speed in the pitch black on a gnarly trail I wouldn’t entertain them.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about trail lights.’ is closed to new replies.