Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Superstar Kevlar pads – opinions….
  • bristolbiker
    Free Member

I realise this is probably re-opening a can of worms that’s been kicked around before……

I need some new pads for some road BB7’s. The Superstar Kevlar pads seem to offer the almost unbelivable combination of long life, good stopping power and they cost buttons.

“Too good to be true”, or “whay pay more”….. whatd’ya think?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s been a while, hasn’t it?

😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

sarcasm aside ;), I have them on all my MTB’s 🙂

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Thought as much Flashy! 😆 My search-fu is weak this morning, clearly…..

njee20
    Free Member

I like them, used them for a couple of years. Does what it says on the tin.

grum
    Free Member

Very good IMO, last ages.

turtleheading
    Free Member

Don’t get the organic ones, superstar sintered are great! Buy a set, if you don’t like em don’t get em again. Not like its gonna bankrupt you!

DickBarton

Got the kevlar pads, been in bike for a year and only about half worn. Good stopping power. I like them.

rocketman
    Free Member

The Superstar Kevlar pads seem to offer the almost unbelivable combination of long life, good stopping power and they cost buttons

Have given them more than a fair chance over the years but their quality and performance is simply too erratic to recommend them

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I personally won’t be buying them again – mine were slightly thicker than other pads and took me ages to get them to fit and I’m still not really happy with them.

steveh

Superstar sintered for me. Tried the kevlar ones but the life was very poor and the stopping power wasn’t noticably higher than the sintered pads.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Been using the kevlar pads for 2 summer now. Very happy with the wear and power. Take them out for the winter and put SS sintered in for added wear resistance.
    No issues with M775 XT brakes here. Recommended.

portlyone

Been using them for a while now, burnt through them in the wet Alps last year but survived winter in the Peaks

stgeorge

No problems at all with the Kevlars, using them for over 2 years now (Not the same set of course!)

neil853
    Free Member

Superstar sintered for me. Tried the kevlar ones but the life was very poor and the stopping power wasn’t noticably higher than the sintered pads.

^this

momo

Finished off my first set last month, had been on the bike for over a year (on the rear) so not too bad going for me, good stopping power too.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I’m not anticipating life to be a big problem, being on the road – genuine Avid sintered pads will last 2 years+, but are getting quite pricey, so if I can get more power for the same life with the Kevlar pads then I’ll be happy.

To be fair, I tried some SS sintered pads many moons ago and of the four pads on the bike, two delaminated in pretty short order which a) was a ‘fun’ experience and b) was a ‘rogue batch’, but that put me off until now…..

alexpalacefan

I’ve got ’em. OK, and the price is right

APF

rocketman
    Free Member

genuine Avid sintered pads…but are getting quite pricey

They’re £14-15 on CRC?

Would rather spend that extra £5 and get something that works tbh

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Would rather spend that extra £5 and get something that works tbh

Pack of 4 sets is £25 – that’s ~£6 a set, so getting on for 1/3 price of OE. With two bikes running the same brakes thats £25 to replace the whole lot or £60.

honourablegeorge

Had the Superstar Kevlars, pad material came away from the backing on several pairs of them, nearly ended up badly hurt on one occasion as a result. Not for me.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Had the Superstar Kevlars, pad material came away from the backing on several pairs of them, nearly ended up badly hurt on one occasion as a result. Not for me.

Ah, t!ts – may main concern that they still randomly do this….. back to dithering…..

honourablegeorge

bristolbiker – Member

Ah, t!ts – may main concern that they still randomly do this….. back to dithering…..

It was a year or two ago, to be fair – dunno what they’re like nowadays, but I haven’t been back

rocketman
    Free Member

With two bikes running the same brakes thats £25 to replace the whole lot with something that doesn’t work or £60 with something that does

bristolbiker
    Free Member

With two bikes running the same brakes thats £25 to replace the whole lot with something that doesn’t work or £60 with something that does, IMHO

rocketman
    Free Member

You are Dave from Superstar and I claim my £5

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Got kevlars on my BB7s, front gives a very slight ‘whistle’ on every application, other than that they have been ok.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

😆

I’m canvassing opinions – which seems to be split down the middle in this case. I’m happy to take any comments on board and make a decision from there. I realise it isn’t the STW way, but stating an opinion as a carved-in-stone-and-passed-down-the-mountain fact is not particularly helpful – that’s all I was pointing out by, er, “correcting”, your “re-imagining” of my original post

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Mine have been faultless.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I had nothing but good experience using these in Garda in the dry[/u]. Two pairs lasted the week, with 50% of the second set still remaining after 25000 metres of uplift-assisted riding.
    But, that remaining 50% was gone within the first hour of riding around Calderdale in the wet.

Great product, would buy again – just not suitable for locations blessed with grinding-paste mud.

flyingmonkeycorps

Didn’t really see the benefit of Kevlar over sintered, but I’ve used all three compounds and been perfectly happy with them. Organic for the Alps, sintered for everyday use, Kevlar ‘cos they were on offer. They were on borked brakes though, so possibly not the fairest comparison.

Superficial
    Free Member

I like the Kevlar pads, the last 3 lots of pads (I.e. 12 pairs of pads for various bikes) have been Kevlar ones. I’ve not done a comparison with the Sintered ones, but I’m happy with them. Good power, great wear rate, my only complaint is that they squeal a bit in the wet. Never had a problem with the pads coming off the backing, haven’t heard about those issues for a few years now.

timmys

I didn’t have a problem with their performance them but found them a bit noisy. I seem to never wear out pads so went back to the organic ones as they are quieter and perhaps have a bit more bite.

raisinhat
    Free Member

I’ve been using them on oro k24s for the past year and they’ve been fine, lasted for a decent amount of time, although I burnt through a couple of pairs at a soaking wet relentless 24, though what pad wouldn’t? Have yet to put a pair in my new shimano xts, but I’ve never had any horrendous problems with them.

richmtb

Don’t like them, wont be buying them again.

I used kevlar pads in my Saint M810’s they lasted about a quarter as long as the original Shimano sintered pads and never had the consistent initial bite the OEM pads had. I since moved onto Aztec Sintered pads and they are as good as the OEM pads.

lesoxdh
    Free Member

Been using Superstar pads on all my bikes for over a year now and they are great for the price. No concerns, but i have learnt some things about them.

Kevlar = Great summer pad. works great in the wet. Rubbish on the road if wet. Once any wet commuting grime off the road touches the pads say goodby to them.

Sintered = Great all pad in all seasons. no concerns with commuting.

Using on Shimano XT M775 and Hope V2

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Ran them for a week in the (dry) Alps and after a week of Verbier related abuse, 1 set were shot. Banged in another set the day we left and they lasted over a year and gave me stopping power like nothing I’d ever had before with OEM pads.

Then switched brakes and had the interesting experience of wondering whether whatever biscuits they put in as standard with SLX brakes were going to stop me or not.

Swapped out for more SS Kevlars and instantly transformed the brakes.

£25 for 4 pairs? Superb.

As an aside, the pad came off the backing on some of mine too. After I’d been for a wet ride, washed the bike down afterwards and left the brakes wet, leaving the pad backing to corrode and fall apart. I’m not putting that down to being SS’s fault 😉

bigjim

After I’d been for a wet ride, washed the bike down afterwards and left the brakes wet, leaving the pad backing to corrode and fall apart. I’m not putting that down to being SS’s fault

Happened to me too. To be fair a ‘proper’ pad manufacturer like EBC use stainless backing plates. Also I thought the process of sintering involved a thin copper layer melting the material onto the backing, so water getting underneath it makes me think SS are bonding their sintered pads rather than sintering them.

I’m swithering whether to buy SS pads again, the backing came off mine at good speed, luckily it was the back, pretty bad though. Currently trying a set of Clarks pads which are also cheap and they seem good so far.

honourablegeorge

DaveyBoyWonder – Member

As an aside, the pad came off the backing on some of mine too. After I’d been for a wet ride, washed the bike down afterwards and left the brakes wet, leaving the pad backing to corrode and fall apart. I’m not putting that down to being SS’s fault

Are you suggesting that we should be drying the inside of the brake caliper in wet conditons?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I like superstar brake pads, I really do.

But I think neil/fruit/tango and their “warrenty depatrment” are thieving twunt-wits(tm) so buy elswhere if I can.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Superstar Kevlar pads – opinions….’ is closed to new replies.