Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • SRAM cranks removal
  • dynebaruk
    Free Member

I’m really struggling to get my SRAM S2200 cranks off, I must be missing something. Any advice please?

I’m using an 8mm allen key, but it’s just not budging at all. I’ve even tried using a small metal pole to get more leverage but no joy.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Are you unscrewing from the chainring side?

I’ve got the same ones on my Stumpy and never had problems. I’ve got a feeling they might be seized. Bit of penetrating fluid and some more elbow grease?

Kuco

I struggled like **** to get mine off, bent the allen key trying. In the end took it work and a fitter used an air gun on hammer on it. One quick blast and it it unscrewed.

clubby

Took an old handlebar over an Allen key to get mine off. Bought a half inch socket bit after that.

orangeboy
    Free Member

They can take a bit of force to shift them. At work I just use a 24” bar and Allen key socket.

Often easier with the bike on the floor and chain on so you can stand on the pedal easily

BoardinBob

I had to resort to this to get my similar SRAM cranks off. Me and two mates with breaker bars etc couldn’t get the thing to budge at all. Got the drill out after a week of failing

breninbeener

Wow drilling….that is brutal. How does it get so seized? Was it original instalation?

rOcKeTdOg

IME they are nearly all like that, we have to break out the precision adjustment tool. they make a terrifying crack when they undo too

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I grease the bolt/axle interface and then drip some oil into the space between the bolt and the self extracting bit with the text on (shown in your pic). Never had a problem removing them whenever I’ve done this.

aide

Have you released the top-cap/cover a little bit first so it can self extract? If you have how about taking it off and spraying wd40 or something directly onto the main bolt before putting cap/cover back on. Just no long done mine with a hammer and it gave a huge crack as it let go

BoardinBob

Wow drilling….that is brutal. How does it get so seized? Was it original instalation

First SRAM press fit BB died within 3 months

Replaced under warranty by Evans

The 2nd one went again after 3 months so I planned on ditching the SRAM cranks and fitting a Praxis BB wit Shimano cranks.

God only knows what Evans did when they replaced the 1st BB. You’d swear the crank bolt had been welded in place

ChrisE
    Free Member

I would go for one bit at a time. So take off the self extractor collar and clean out any grit etc. Then plenty if WD40 over a few hours then try. When you get the bolt moving freely you can use the self extractor collar or better still use a proper Park Tools crank puller (you will need to put something inside the hollow axle to push against)

Let us all know his you go on

C

dynebaruk
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice, seems it is just a question of force then.

I’ve decided to take it into my LBS and have them do it, I need my dropper post serviced anyway so I’ll leave it all in their capable hands!

jeffl

Never had a problem taking mine off. Appreciate that doesn’t help you. Have you tried shocking it off i.e. big Allen key or socket and breaker bar, and hitting it?

davros

11 inch breaker bar worked for me. Lowered the saddle, sat on the bike, foot on the pedal and pulled the bar up towards me. For me that was the best way of getting the most force through it. But I’m a weakazoid.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘SRAM cranks removal’ is closed to new replies.