Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • So how does inflation work then?
  • ade9933
    Free Member

So.. how does inflation work then?

When I was a kid Munchies were twice the price of every other sweet. Now they are the same. Was I ripped off as a child and is there a case for a retrospective class-action law suit or has something happened to the commodities price of the constituent part of the biscuit-caramel-combo in recent years?

Sometimes, life is just too confusing.

SaxonRider

Here’s something to really mess with your head:

Growing up, we used to eat a treat called ‘Wagon Wheels’ all the time, which looked like this:

But as we got older, the wheels got smaller and yet the price remained the same.

Go figure. 🙁

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Happy Victoria Day for yesterday, SaxonRider.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevied
    Free Member

We had those here too ya know… 🙄

And I thought this was gonna be another tyre thread 😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

Burtons are lying to us. They claim on their website that Wagon Wheels were always the same size they are now and it’s only our perception that’s changed.

This is clearly bollocks.

Wagon Wheels in the 70’s came 2 to a pack and were about five inches across.

Now they are the size of a digestive biscuit.

Harry_the_Spider

Re wagon wheels : You have got bigger also.

It’s all relative… like speed dating in Doncaster.

ade9933
    Free Member

I blame 29ers and fatty’s for playing with our perception. I don’t even know what a wheel is supposed to look like anymore 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Since this is the bike forum:

br
    Free Member

So.. how does inflation work then?

If you’ve not savings nor living on a fixed income it can be ignored 🙂

shortcut

Maybe the size of packets of everything else has shrunk while munchies have remained constant. Don’t forget shrinkflation should be taking into account when talking about inflation.

Inflation of course is all about the money supply and rate of circulation…….. yawn.

allthepies
    Free Member

It can end badly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Seeing as they’re essentially just cheap s*** Rolo’s with cheap biscuit centers, they had to have a way to differentiate themselves from Rolo’s. It’s Prestige Pricing, they charged more to make you think they were better.

You could then correlate the price of Munchies against say the proportion of the UK that have an invisible friend and prepared to state this in a census (see the other thread). Both have fallen massively, clearly people are less stupid than they used to be.

honourablegeorge

Yorkies used to have SEVEN chunks, now it’s five.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Yorkies used to have SEVEN chunks, now it’s five.

Wasn’t it 6, because each chunk had a letter of Y O R K I E on it, whereas now they say YORKIE on each chunk

welshfarmer

Keep your eyes open. Coffee, which has traditionally been sold in half pound bags (227gms) are slowly being replaced with 200 gm bags with no reduction in price.

ps44
    Free Member

Vote Leave, then we get some, but that’s bad inflation. What the BoE has been trying to get for a few years is good inflation though so it’s alright.

And don’t get me started on coffee – what a packaging triumph with one of these that I just opened
    and it was two thirds air.

Northwind

When I was a lad, we used a curly wurly as a loft ladder. Now it’s barely as long as my knob. It’s a travesty.

ade9933
    Free Member

Seeing as they’re essentially just cheap s*** Rolo’s with cheap biscuit centers, they had to have a way to differentiate themselves from Rolo’s. It’s Prestige Pricing, they charged more to make you think they were better.

You could then correlate the price of Munchies against say the proportion of the UK that have an invisible friend and prepared to state this in a census (see the other thread). Both have fallen massively, clearly people are less stupid than they used to be.

so it’s a positive message on the state of eduction? Thank you minister 😉

Keep your eyes open. Coffee, which has traditionally been sold in half pound bags (227gms) are slowly being replaced with 200 gm bags with no reduction in price.

… but I’ll pay whatever it takes for proper coffee. Maybe this part of the nation is getting more stupid, or just fussier and older. Although some standardisation of bag size would be good. It seems to vary from 200g to 350g

mrblobby
    Free Member

Two sightings of the Badger in one day 🙂

Houns

A finger of fudge couldn’t give me a treat nowadays

thegreatape
    Free Member

I love Munchies, I reckon I could eat ten packets in a oner if I was quick about it. Perhaps eleven.

edhornby

Stick with lavazza they can’t mess with the packet size so you get the right price

Boring answer is that prices of stuff and the cost of bank borrowing to make new stuff and wages of people to buy stuff are all balanced against each other, if one of those things start rocketing then everything else has to catch up and that rocketing speed is the rate of inflation

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Munchies still exist?

Mars 3p, Marathon (yes) and Milky Way 2p – now the same. Were we being robbed by Mars!!!

Quavers 2p and normal crips 3p – as above

colournoise

Munchies are the crack of the chocolate world. Relatively cheaper munchies are therefore surely a good thing?

ade9933
    Free Member

but what about their partner in crime – mintola?

jimster01

Do they still do fun-size Mars Bars or have they been replaced by the regular size but with kill-joy pricing?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

To create inflation is to inflate creation.

maccruiskeen

See also Tropicana’s ability to make a 850mm carton look exactly like a 1ltr one

BillMC

Inflation ultimately is about redistribution in favour of the rich. Look what’s happened to the housing market.

Spin
    Free Member

Disappointed this isn’t a cosmology thread.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

There is good and bad inflation. People getting payrises drives inflation as they have more money to spend so prices go up (supply and demand) because the people making the products we buy and everyone in the supply chain also gets a payrise and so that is ultimately funded by an increase in the price of the product. No surprise that inflation has been low recently despite high unemployment – that’s because wages haven’t increased much (go over to the payrise thread).

There are other mechanisms too. Governments try to control it, but it’s more like steering an oil tanker, you can really only, maybe, influence inflation. There are alot of factors outside of our control like oil prices.

If house prices would be affected by Brexit then that would be no bad thing. I can’t think of one good reason for house price inflation other than to benefit those with the cash and means to invest in the housing market (and Russian Oligarchs) therefore nudging out those people who just want to buy a house to live in. A bit of house price deflation would be no bad thing for the average Joe Bloggs on the street.

Chocolate bars have got smaller and more expensive over the years as the price of Cocoa has increased alot – but that doesn’t explain the shrinkage of Wagon Wheels as there is as much Cocoa in a Wagon Wheel as there is in a wooden spoon.

finephilly
    Free Member

I always have the Munchies…

nickc

Northwind, earlier….

footflaps

I can’t think of one good reason for house price inflation

It’s pretty much all that has been driving the economy for the past 15 years!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘So how does inflation work then?’ is closed to new replies.