Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Snapped Hope pro 2 bolt through axle?
  • robidoo
    Free Member

Todays ride comming down Jacobs Ladder I got a pinch flat, on taking my wheel off (Orange Alpine with maxle)the whole cassette just fell off.

The hollow axle has snapped clean and I was able to limp back.
    I have done a quick search and found it to be quite common.
    How do I get the axle out and can I get another to fit or is the hub buggered?
    Is it worth contacting Hope as the bike is over a year old?
    By the way the axle was a maxle not a maxle light that has caused most problems in the past.

Liftman

Speak to Hope first they should be able to help you out.

Lummox

mine broke, i was able to tap the various parts out without too much bother, replaced with a q/r axle and use it now on the commuter. Replaced the whole wheel with a bulb which has a far more substantial axle and in my opinion better design.

it failed at a 'waisted' section on the axle on mine, and i was using a maxle lite on my five

i wasn't 'helped out' but hey, i'll still buy hope as they're kit is still the most user friendly i've used

ivantate
    Free Member

OOooooh, I though they would be ok on the original maxle.

SOAP
    Free Member

Ive done 2 on a full maxle, not maxle lite, sent them to Hope and they sent 2 new ones,
    thanks Hope.

robidoo
    Free Member

Thanks for the replys, Chippy did you send just the spindle (the hollow bit that the maxle slides through) or the whole hub with bits?

kevt

I have just had this as well, you can tap the snapped maxle out as you would the whole thing (i.e. from drive side to disc side).

Mine is a full maxle as well, hope said it was a design fault but have sent a free maxle out, which I am waiting for (thanks Hope). Apparently SRAM are redesigning it. BETD offer a solid axle option apparently.

kevt

oh, i used a socket and a soft mallet to knock it out with

I have the same bike with the same hub and did it in NZ last winter, contacted hope out there and they replaced the parts for free though I had to pay for labour. I would defo get in touch as it seems to be common and they wouldnt want to lost 'your valued custom'

Nick

Hadge
    Free Member

This is very much an on-going problem and if you want give us a call tomorrow at BETD we can help you out.

just to clarify I snapped the inner axle within the hub (and a couple of pawls) not the maxle.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

how is it possible to snap the axle but not the maxle? aren't they quite a snug fit? if the maxle is intact, how does a stronger 'maxle' help? why doesn't the QR hub snap?

which bit is at fault??

i don't understand!!

i've got the same setup but on a marin, so a bit concerned!

The same thing has happened on my Alpine 160 twice now. Im no technical expert, but both times it seems to have snapped at the point where the axle diameter reduces. Seems to be a weak spot.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Have also broken 2 (with a full Maxle) and now stopped using the hub as I don't trust it. I've installed the BETD solid axle instead of the Maxle, so once the season is over I'll stick the Hope hub back on and see how long it lasts.

Definitely worth sending it to Hope – they should replace it.

I would agree that it's a design fault but not that SRAM should be doing anything about it…!

messiah
    Free Member

The BETD option works for me and I've been hammering it for two months now with no problems – it's a very solid bar of aluminium rather than the hollow tube of the original Maxle.

Hope are releasing an Evo version of the Pro2 hub which I suspect will have a stronger axle… no idea if the axle and gubbins will be retrofitable but it would be nice if they were.

kevt

Hadge, which axle is the ideal replacement (for a Patriot if it makes any difference).

thanks

Kev

robidoo
    Free Member

Cheers guys I have the hollow axle out and will give Hope a call.

Would like to know how it broke though.

Oh am I right in saying the BETD axle replaces the maxle and the hollow axle that the maxle slides through? (hope that makes sense)

messiah
    Free Member

BETD axle just replaces the Maxle (the quick release). You will still need to speak to Hope nicely and get a new axle for the hub.

When you get the broken Hope axle (not Maxle) out you will see that it will have broken where it is very thin and where there is a step between the hub body and the freehub body – obvious weak point.

messiah
    Free Member

Doh!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Snapped Hope pro 2 bolt through axle?’ is closed to new replies.