Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Show me your DH bike, the older the better!
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

I’ve had an itch to get a DH bike for a while. I’m bound by space and money to have no more than 3 bikes: bouncer (Trance with Pike), road and a recently built Dialled PA rigid 69er for teh skillz.

The itch is getting itchier. I’m considering selling the rigid to buy an old DH bike. There isn’t a huge amount of DH around here, but I plan on getting into it once we move up to Sheffield in about a year.

The O-ring on the Trance’s float is getting pretty near the limit on descending trails around here and I think I may be able to justify the extra travel….or I just want a big monstrous mountain bike?!

The recent bargain I found on Pinkbike is not helping! As the topic title suggests, it’s no (coil) spring chicken.

james
    Free Member

“O-ring on the Trance’s float is getting pretty near the limit on descending trails around here “
    Put some more air in the shock then?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Which is the answer because?

kimbers

most of its second hand,apart from the wheels though they are a few years old and the bar stem/saddle gears are new just finished servicing the forks, shouldve done it ages ago!
    heres me cruising to a bottom of the field finish at aston a couple of weeks ago

just booked 5 days in morzine but gotta wait till july now!

hexhamstu
    Free Member

HermanShake
    Free Member

I run the sag on the float around the 20% mark (if not a smidge less), if I added much more air I fear it would lose it’s handling on other stuff.

I’m 65kg, 120psi +/- in the Pike and 145psi in the Float.

Trance’s are great for what they’re intended but they’re not a particularly burly bike. Getting a longer travel bike may be overkill for a lot of the singletrack around here, hence wanting 2 specific bikes instead of making one inadequate for both types of terrain.

ferrit32
    Free Member

Herman take a look in the classfieds I have just the thing to scratch that itch, its an 2001 Orange 222 frame 😀

Shameless plug over, please go about your normal business.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Boing boing boing boing! Awesome fun.

DSCF0601 by Gaz A, on Flickr

mboy
    Free Member

My old Gemini DH… Sadly I couldn’t afford any Dorado’s for the proper Gracia rep look…

Been a few years since I got rid now, and great as it was, I just stopped riding any kind of DH a few years back. Just found it too much of a PITA unless I was in France for a week or two. Get more enjoyment now out of riding general trail riding and XC strangely!

_tom_
    Free Member

2003 I think.

Now has a smaller bash, a bottom roller and will soon have a set of Domains on it. Great bike, fun for anything.

moniex
    Free Member

not mine, but my little man’s….

2007 noroc b line 24 with about a million upgrades 😉

HermanShake
    Free Member

Some impressive machines! I love the grandeur of a DH bike.

Ferrit, funnily enough the bike that has caught my eyes is a 222 complete. Any feedback people have about 222s and old Boxxers would be appreciated.

I’ve read things about potential cracks and and unforgiving ride due to the pivot… but then read very enthusiastic reviews praising the simplicity and confidence of the bike.

Old Konas are obviously an option due to the abundance, I’ve spotted a cheap Stab frame & Boxxer but I think I’d be spending to build it.

Keep ’em coming 😀

_tom_
    Free Member

If you fancy a cheap older 180mm boxxer mine (as pictured) will be for sale soon.

vooomvooom
    Free Member

That was my 1999 Sintesi Bazooka 🙂

dogbert
    Free Member

there is only one DH bike IMHO

Conan257
    Free Member

You’re right, there is only 1 DH bike…. Shame i’ve only 1 picture of mine 🙁

kayak23

Yep, there is really only one downhill bike…..

samcamsdad

Here’s mine. Great bike, looks nice hanging in the garage. Could be for sale if the right offer came along. 😉
    Loving the m1 pics, a true classic.

coogan
    Free Member

My old Bullit.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Samcamsdad that’s a splendid bike. I doubt my offers would excite you, the budget is going to be no more than £650 posted!

There are some horrific bikes on PB; hoses all over the place, odd brakes, mismatched forks and all kinds of oddness!

bigjim

The O-ring on the Trance’s float is getting pretty near the limit on descending trails around here

So not even bottoming out your travel means you need a DH bike? 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not mine, but old and DH:

skywalker
    Free Member

This ones not mine but I did have one back in the day

thepodge
    Free Member

Loads of people have and are perfectly happy their trance frames up here in Sheffield

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Not my bikes but heres a few oldish ones

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

HermanShake
    Free Member

So not even bottoming out your travel means you need a DH bike?

A fair observation, I feel I could ride the steeper stuff in more control with a DH bike. I’m a little averse to bottoming out, it doesn’t sound healthy for the bike. I can manage on the Trance but feel I’m holding back a little. In my weak defence, travel behaves differently on an air shock trail bike to a soft coil DH bike.

STW member in overbiked shocker!? You’ve gotta start somewhere! Or not. Time will tell.

Chewie
    Free Member

Yeti DH9 circa 2003

Yeti by Paul France, on Flickr

Trashed! by Paul France, on Flickr
    From Whistler 2004.

P1000182 by Paul France, on Flickr
    Whistler 2010.

Bike still going strong! Love it.

STATO
    Free Member

Love the Yeti and the KeeWee

My (not so old) Intense Socom….

Socom by dickyelsdon, on Flickr

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Show me your DH bike, the older the better!’ is closed to new replies.