Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 186 total)
  • Show and Tell…Your Car that you bought for fun.
  • righog
    Free Member

Lots of different threads about cars bought for fun, would be good to see what people have got in one place be they : Vans,Campers,sports cars, 4×4’s, convertibles.

This one was mine, now sadly gone, hoping to get something sporty in the next year or so.

What you got ?

Duane…
    Free Member

MX5 – bought with my flatmate for a month long camping road-trip around Europe this summer. Will be selling it when we return though 🙁

righog
    Free Member

Brilliant Tone set for the thread there Duane 😀

It looks like great fun.

JAG

This is mine, I built it myself a few years ago and we’ve covered about 8000 miles since…

It’s actually fitted with an MX-5 engine and 5 speed gearbox.

Stoner
    Free Member

currently in mid bulkheadadectomy though…. SHould have it out tomorrow morning if I dont get disturbed.

sharkattack

1983 Capri.

2.9 Cosworth V6. Uncorked and chipped, running over 230bhp.

Big brakes, Spax shocks, Recaro interior, poly bushed etc, etc…
    It had pretty much everything you can do to a Capri. There is much more power available from different engines but the chassis is crap to be fair. Even with all the upgrades the handling was pretty dreadful. The big V6 made it a lot of fun but the handling discouraged aggressive driving so it was a nice cruiser. The only thing it was missing was an LSD which I was going to fit if I decided to keep it.

Ran it for just over a year and got a feature in Retro Ford magazine. It was mostly very reliable and very economical (compared to an original pinto or 2.8) but it did spit its dummy out a few times. I spent a lot of time spannering it but it when it ran it was perfect.

I wanted it, I did it, I loved it and I sold it.

No regrets!

postierich
    Free Member

I Love and Loathe her 🙂

DSCF2007[1] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Sligachan Camp1 on Skye by Richard Munro, on Flickr

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

Bought for £600 4 years ago , now running 465 bhp of fun . Nothing has been left un touched .
    2.2 stroker kit , big valves and cams , ported head , custom inlet & exhaust manifolds . Garett 3071 turbo with Tial external wastegate . Link standalone engine managment and that’s just the tip of a rather expensive iceberg when you consider the initial purchase price 🙂

benji
    Free Member

Cinquecento sporting bought for a grand, then chucked a grand modifying it for trackdays and the ring trip. Engine swap from the little 1.1 to a 1.2 big valved, cammed and lightened engine, no interior bar seats and a cage, it was a bundle of fun.

midlifecrashes

Just for grins. Needed a second car and just couldn’t face another dull box.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Go kart:

IMG_5155 by DaveyBoyWonder, on Flickr

IMG_3910 by DaveyBoyWonder, on Flickr

Also had two other mk1 MX5s, one a rotter, one as good as this one and my god I miss them!

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Sadly no (digital ) pics but in 2000 i swapped a box company car for a very nice MR2 Roadster, silver with black leather and like a blooming go cart had it for three years until warranty was up and sold it as it was crap for anything other than top down days out with the missus, bought a new 307 hdi with the cash why? I still ask myself the same question…..

radoggair
    Free Member

not mine but had one exactly the same. Threw in a 150mph ride one day, handled brilliantly but that was 16 years ago.If i had spare cash would have another one

hexhamstu
    Free Member

deviant
    Free Member

Love that pug GTi!
    I had both a 1.6 and a 1.9 in my youth, they fetch silly money now though.
    Shame as I’d like another, the handling was truly great.

legend
    Free Member

Too lazy to get a decent photo of mine, but one of these keeps me smiling:

Pigface
    Free Member

150 in a CRX ????????? I think that is being a tad optimistic.

ben
    Free Member

Another Clio, this time at Silverstone:

My last car before I emigrated. Now in the one of the most expensive countries to own a car so no more car ownership for me for a while.

I miss my Clio. 🙁

DavidB
    Free Member

I’ve got my eye on this, any advice apart from “don’t”

Klunk
    Free Member

bought with my flatmate for a month long camping road-trip around Europe this summer.

had a mate who did that (s2000 in his case) by the time he got to mid france it was too hot to drive with the roof down.

sefton
    Free Member

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

One like this:

So much fun, so much torque steer… but I could throw a bike and camping stuff in the boot without any issue and blast my way about the country/continent without an issue (and drop my mates Celica 190 at will)

I still have an urge to get a sports car one day, but there is no space to keep one here, or cash at the moment, so I have a motorbike for thrills 😉

andermt
    Free Member

Don’t have a proper ‘fun’ car at the minute, although a Z4 Coupe could be classed in that vein I guess.

This was the last one I had:

Although I still have this one awaiting some spare time to get it back on the road (original picture so not current)

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Here’s a few of my old cars, Im now driving a diesel Audi Avant S-line to lug the bike around 😮

1.6 Fiesta zetec s (cammed etc 153bhp)

Honda Integra type R DC5 (Standard other than spoon exhaust and Gruppe M intake 220bhp)

Subaru Impreza STI with prodrive kit 301bhp

core

andermt – Member

Although I still have this one awaiting some spare time to get it back on the road (original picture so not current)

That actual car?

I have a Peugeot 205 XS rally car, will try to get a photo up…..

andermt
    Free Member

Core, yes, that actual car.

LHS
    Free Member

This is this summers fun:

tinsy
    Free Member

LHS Nice…

I dont have any car pictures, though I have had a few in the past, but here is my new toy, I dont care if it fits the thread I am excited!!!!

1980 Suzuki RM125..

ir_bandito
    Free Member

dammit. this lot is giving me expensive ideas.

honkiebikedude and sharkattack winning it for me so far.

Pigface
    Free Member

Tinsy is the Red Rocket behind a 250 or 125?

tinsy
    Free Member

Pigface, not sure its not mine, I think its a 250 also 1980 RA model I think… They are the owned by the bloke I bought the RM off, if your in the market for anything CR of that vintage he is the man.

The orange bike in the background is the rare one an Aspes.

oldgit
    Free Member

Had one of these as a last ‘fun’ car, but with kids it was immensely impractical and a money pit. This isn’t mine, but it was the same model and colour.
    Spitfire Four, the first Spitfire.

binners

One of these…

Mine wasn’t quite as nice as that one. It was a right laugh. Like driving a roller skate 😀

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

In a slightly different vein to some of the sporty numbers, but love it all the same.

In holiday mode in Pembrokeshire last year

If I had the funds / space I’d love a lightweight landy or a Mk1 GTI

hora
    Free Member

I no longer have this but for me, it was ridiculous fun

Tracey

Loved my first mini, hated selling my MX5 when Abigale was born. Now get the chance to relive my youth when I drive Katies 1.4 Fiat 500.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Now gone but not forgotten:

sefton
    Free Member

is that fluid the result of a popped head gasket? lol

SidewaysTim

Current…

Previous…

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Bloke in work has a ‘proper’ original mini with a Honda VTEC engine in it!! mental as a box of frogs!

if i ever have spare cash im getting one of these, and put a few modern touches on/in it!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 186 total)

The topic ‘Show and Tell…Your Car that you bought for fun.’ is closed to new replies.