Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shimano Deore m596 or slx m666 or oro k18
  • gaberin
    Free Member

Is it worth the extra £30 for the slx over the deore? What more does the slx have?

Or should i go for formula oro k18 for £100 : http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/formula-disc-brake-k18-front-wheel-247727/aid:247729

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’ve no experience of the Deores, but slx and k18’s are both very very good brakes.

I got rid of my formulas after I couldnt get simple parts for them (eg olives – but this was 2 years back!) which has apparently changed since.

I imagine the deores are like the slx’s but possible lack some of the lever adjustability or the “bling” factor. You could probably live without both.

The formulas feel different to the shimano’s though- there’s a lot more intial pull with the shimanos before hard braking starts. That’ll probably come down to what you prefer. Personally – I like that – and also the near zero faff with the shimanos – and the 2 year warranty (prev gen got replaced FOC).

dantsw13

I have the new Deores. They won the MBR group test a few months back. They are the same as the SLX/XT ones apart from :
    2 part caliper not 1 part
    Split pin pad retainer not screw, but I believe if you buy a XT pin it fits
    Plastic reservoir cap not blingy chrome
    Heavier alloy
    No free stroke adjust.
    Allan key required for lever adjust, but unlike my Elixirs, it is easy to get at.

One of my buddies has the XT, and another the SLX. Considering the price difference, and the fact that braking performance is the same on all 3, I’m glad I got the Deores.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

You missed that the SLX has servowave which means the lever pull ratio lessens the further you pull the lever , this means that the pads initially sit further from the disc . Deore doesn’t have this feature .Nor does it have the possibility of using the finned pads which you can use with SLX .

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I think the m596 are servowave

I had same question and opted for the Deore

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Yup, M596 are servowave. Got a pair on all of my bikes now, can’t rate them highly enough for the money!

Merlin were doing them cheap if you didn’t want to go the Rose bikes route.

I really rate them-bought one set to try out before splashing the cash on SLX/XT ones (then the deores could go on the roadrat) but ended up so impressed I just left them on the bike and bought some more!

A

HermanShake
    Free Member

I have a set of m596, they’re not servo but very good. They are servo-wave, it’s stashed inside not underneath 😳 The short lever feels good on the outside of shifters and they are both progressive and bitey.

My 665 SLX (sold this morning) were very, very good brakes.

SLX brakes are 2 piece calipers, this doesn’t impair them. I have the older style XT and I’m not sure how much more solid they feel compared to the SLX 2 piece. Aesthetically it’s cool and must shave some weight but I think 2 piece is completely fine.

Go SLX, Deore with leave you with upgradeitis (even though they’re fine).

jamesy01
    Free Member

I got a set of Deore’s from Rose and they are just as good as my SLX (M665 I think).
    Arrived within a week and took less than an hour to fit including swapping hoses. They also came with all the spares required for shortening the hoses.

The following may also be of benefit from an earlier post:

Buy them from Rose.
    Like Rose on Facebook and you can generate a £10 discount code.
    If you have the luxury of time buy them separately, I ordered front and rear Deors, used the FB code and a few days after the arrived rose sent me another £10 off code as a welcome present…and that was on top of the free ‘backpack’ included with my order!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Rose doesn’t have the Deore’s in stock. Is there anywhere else for similar prices?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Or anywhere to get Magura MT2 cheap?

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I’ve ordered mine from Bike24, around the 80 euro mark.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Deore m596 or slx m666 or oro k18’ is closed to new replies.