Viewing 17 posts - 201 through 217 (of 217 total)
  • Shimano 2011 embargo
  • metalheart
    Free Member

Dave – Premier Member

OK, but, as far as I can make out, the issue of 10 speeds and that of running just 2 rings are unconnected.

Don't start that probing journalistic website just yet ;o)

LOL.

thejesmonddingo

I have no interest whatever in new groupsets – I'm running a square taper chainset & BB that cost me £33 complete when new

According to the above,you have no legitimate interest.Just out of curiosity,do you,or have you ever,read the mag?
    Ian

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Or even that with 10 speeds you might only need 2 rings?

need is a hard call, but assuming you decide you want multiple gears, surely what matters is the range of ratios available, not how close they are together? Adding more sprockets within the same 11-32 span (or whatever) doesn't allow you to keep pedalling in more situations, it only lets you get closer to your ideal cadence – of there is such a thing – within that range, whereas adding (or using) a third ring gives you a wider gear range, and losing that ring takes range away

aracer
    Free Member

Truly, you are the master of the endless argument.

I'm amazed it's taken you 5 pages to work that out!

as far as I can make out, the issue of 10 speeds and that of running just 2 rings are unconnected. The extra sprocket just gives fractionally closer ratios but the same gearing spread

Presumably given your level of disinterest you've not actually read the XX reviews where they mention that the spread has been increased so that you can use only two rings without losing much in the way of range? It does make you look rather silly attempting to argue about something you're not actually sufficiently interested in to find out about!

metalheart
    Free Member

okay I'll rephrase that: With 10 speeds I might only need 2 rings. I can see the advantage of that.

(edit: aracer: I really couldn't be arsed getting in to all that but then I've actually read the reviews. I even checked t'weenies to see the spreads too…)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It does make you look rather silly attempting to argue about something you're not actually sufficiently interested in to find out about!

I did ask about it, but no one replied and you're right, I didn't care enough to find out as I have no intention of buying new parts for a negligable improvement. And I don't know what the "XX" is. What is the the range available – or is it a secret too ? Am I right in thinking the chain will have to be even narrower ? How does this affect wear rate ?

According to the above,you have no legitimate interest.

My interest was in censorship, not hardware

Just out of curiosity,do you,or have you ever,read the mag?

I have a subscription and read the opinion pieces, but not the reviews.

hora
    Free Member

I'm not sure what you lot are arguing about but I think the new 'XX' 'revolution' is mainly marketing guff. Alot of of cock if you ask me.

Oooo instead of running 1×9 you can run 1×10. Wow! Or…you can do away with the third/big ring if you run 2×10 and prentend its making up for the missing 7 gears…wow!

Thanks SRAM, what else will you dressup for 2011? Downtube mountain bike shifters for 'the racer in you'.

How did we cope with the 8speed system? Wow, it must have been really really hard.

metalheart
    Free Member

And I don't know what the "XX" is.

and cant be arsed to google to find out either. BTW XX = 2×10. Did you see what they did there, cunning, eh?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and cant be arsed to google to find out either. BTW XX = 2×10. Did you see what they did there, cunning, eh?

thanks for the tip 🙂

11-36T oooh, 2 whole teeth more eh ?

zokes
    Free Member

Is this STILL going on? It'll be another lukewarm curry for the grumpy one at this rate!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I remember when I got my new Remedy, and was excitedly showing 2 roadies at work the cool features, like 20mm maxle, full floating shock, floodgate, abp etc….
    But no, they weren't interested, they were much more excited about the new 11 speed setups for their road bikes, and how it would *yawn* "really improve the granularity" and give major improvements to *yawn* cadence control etc……

You change terrain a lot quicker on a MTB, so unless you're racing surely 3 rings is more user friendly than going sequentially through lots of gears?

metalheart
    Free Member

My point was that I hardly use the big ring any more, with 2×10 it might eliminate the need for it all together (for me I mean).

And 1 extra gear to sequence through?, I think even I can handle that…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

okay I'll rephrase that: With 10 speeds I might only need 2 rings. I can see the advantage of that.

no, still irrelevant, as you could have an 11-36 span on a nine speed cassette, with no need for a) narrower chain b) new shifter, though you might still need a longer cage mech

What I'll admit I did miss was that it's not just a matter of losing the outer ring, as the 2nd ring can be an intermediate size to allow more spread using less overlap between the rings, although looking at the SRAM it seems they've made both inner rings bigger, losing low range.

It'll be another lukewarm curry for the grumpy one at this rate!

no, now we're on the dubious benefits of the new hardware rather than editorial policy

Everlong
    Free Member

regardless, I won't be able to afford it if I see it now, tomorrow or in a year! Back to trawling for cheap parts …

aracer
    Free Member

no, still irrelevant, as you could have an 11-36 span on a nine speed cassette

Well you could, but that would certainly result in an awkward enough gap that I'd notice even if you're too insensitive.

now we're on the dubious benefits of the new hardware

Which you're arguing about despite having no interest in?

trawler
    Free Member

trawling for cheap parts …

Ditto.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Well you could, but that would certainly result in an awkward enough gap that I'd notice even if you're too insensitive.

if you split the 36:11 (3.27) range into 8 equal ratios you get a step of 1.16, so (with slight rounding) 11, 13, 15, 17, 20, 23, 27, 31, 36, though you might choose to make the 31 a 32 to even out the number of teeth added.

Which you're arguing about despite having no interest in?

no interest in buying 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 201 through 217 (of 217 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 2011 embargo’ is closed to new replies.