Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Selling second hand Lego
  • hammerite
    Free Member

Jnr’s got a load of tubs full of Lego that he wants to get rid of. He also has all the original boxes and instructions.

Would he make more money if he sells it mixed by weight or sells as individual complete sets?

grahamt1980

Probably by sets and then all the excess by weight.

Would also say that based on lego threads on here it’s probably worth putting it on the for sale forum too

kayla1
    Free Member

What, er, exactly has junior got? Any old Technic stuff?

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks Graham

Kayla – mainly City stuff. Think there might be a Technic buggy, but not a lot else.

kayla1
    Free Member

Ok, ta 🙂

mechanicaldope

I just felt Kayla1’s hopes being dashed!

edd

Definitely sell as complete sets, I sold about £100 last year which was loads more than I was expecting to get.

hammerite
    Free Member

He started sorting bits out for the sets, then got fed up, so now weighing to work out how much he has. I think if he compares weight value to sets he might change his mind.

One of the things in there is a motor that powered an articulated truck, it was mine so must be nearly 30 years old.

br
    Free Member

Look on ebay for a comparison.

And then just stick it in a box and store it – the Grandchildren (when they turn up) can play with it.

MrPottatoHead

^^ My parents look after my lad 1 day a week. Over the last few months he’s been returning with more and more of my old Lego that was stashed in their loft. I’m not sure who’s enjoying it more, but to me it feels like far better value than the money we could get selling it. The look on his face when the Technic JCB was brought out was priceless.

kayla1
    Free Member

mechanicaldope- I may or may not have been hoping for a mint-in-box 8860 Car Chassis 😆

hammerite
    Free Member

Sorry Kayla! I think most of Jnr’s is just bog standard stuff from Toys R Us etc.. given as presents.

I understand what you mean about holding on to it. But it’s all his stuff and he’s wanting to raise money to buy something that he isn’t going to get for Christmas.

pictonroad

Where are you? I run a 5yr old and Lego is a vice we can share.

hammerite
    Free Member

Bedfordshire.

grahamt1980

Bedfordshire you say….. Have got a 16 month old but i will could buy it for him in the future….. Honest. Am in Biggleswade

kayla1
    Free Member

hammerite- haha, no worries! Good on junior though for wanting to buy his own stuff 😀

pictonroad

Bit far for a collection, South Coast here. Stick it on gumtree, eBay fees and postage hassle will wear him down. 😆

hammerite
    Free Member

Graham – I’ll find out how much he wants and let you know. Would you want it bagged and weighed or as sets?

grahamt1980

Up to you. Will get shouted at for buying lego but make sure he and you think its a fair price for

grahamt1980

Email is Graham t1980 at Hotmail. Com

Just remove the spaces

Cougar

mechanicaldope- I may or may not have been hoping for a mint-in-box 8860 Car Chassis

I have one of those. What’s it worth to you? (-:

thegreatape
    Free Member

You might need it one day. Perhaps if your family abandon you and you are targeted by a pair of stereotype fulfilling yet hapless burglars, it could prove useful.

scuttler

My daughter’s just rebuilding my boxed 8860 at the mo. It’s going well but had to substitute one of the seat ratchet rubber bands with a loom band. Cool thing is the instructions contain all my penciled in ‘improvements’ for headrests and a dashboard (it’s the GLS version).

BigJohn

I’ve got a pretty much complete box of one of those kits that you used to be able to plug into your IBM 8086 pre-Pentium PCs using the serial port. One day I’ll get round to making a list of all the bits there are and no doubt will have a roller-coaster ride of emotion when I put it on eBay (as well as all my 1990’s windsurfers) and watch it sell for £7.

richmars

I’ve still got a huge set I won in a competition run by Kelloggs Cornflakes. It would have been in the late 1960’s. Never get ride of Lego.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

what’s a serial port? Did that come from a Kellogg’s competition too?

kayla1
    Free Member

re: 8860 Car Chassis-

I have one of those. What’s it worth to you? (-:

Not as much as you think/hope it might 😆 Give you a tenner, cold hard cash 2nite m8. Old, innit. Obsolete and that, like them there 26 inch wheels. Cutting me own throat here. Doing you a favour, chief. Boxed? Nah. Everyone wants them loose by weight in placcy bags now m8… 😉

I’d like one, but not enough to dent my Cotic Flare fund!

bigyinn
    Free Member

I kept all my lego from when I was a kid, with the stated intention of giving it to my son when I had one.
    I do, so i did, he LOVES it. Even got a couple of the original boxes it came in.
    I find it rather bizarre that something I built from Lego in 1980 is still intact 36 years later!

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I had an 8860 chassis I sold it for £85 it was from 1985!

Loved playing with Lego Technic.

I’m glad i’ve got rid of all of mine as it will give me plausible reasons to buy new stuff with Largejnr comes along.

Got to have a porsche 911 set.

pocpoc
    Free Member

It’s hard to explain to someone wanting to sell it to raise money, but try and convince him to keep it!
    My parents still have all mine from when I was a kid, loose and no instructions, but my kids (6 boy,4 girl and 2 girl) love playing with it when they’re there.

We also got a massive box (and proper table for it) of mixed stuff (with instructions for bits that might be in there somewhere) second hand as a job lot and they love to play with it (with me of course) making up random cars/plabnes/rockets and arguing over who needs Iron Man’s head the most!

I sold my Trek 4500 in 2004 aged 17 to go interailling round Europe.
    I loved it and glad I did it, but always regretted selling the bike. It took me 12 years to get back in to mountain biking (after a few years road biking too).

core

I keep buying my 4 year old nephew small lego sets, just £5-£10 vehicles etc, started him off a bit early as I just wanted to play with it really, he’s well into it now, which I’m dead chuffed with, but man does it frustrate me.

I can just about get him to sit down and build the set to the plans together and have a nice usable lego toy, then see him the next day, and it’s all destroyed, with the parts all mangled up into some lopsided, odd wheeled ‘lorry’ and mixed in with the rest of his lego, and all the previous sets…..

I know it’s good for him and shows his creativity and imagination are working well, but it pains me so much, I always kept my sets together for as long as possible. Indeed their might be 5 vehicles on top of our fridge freezer from the last few years that noone dare touch.

gaidong
    Free Member

Lego/Duplo has excellent re-sale value. I always remake the sets for decent (for me) photos. People pay crazy prices if it’s boxed and pristine (ours aren’t).

perchypanther
    Free Member

For Sale: Star Wars Lego Alderaan. No assembly required.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Selling second hand Lego’ is closed to new replies.