Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Scottish railways receive highest government funding – why?
  • aP
    Free Member

So the ORR have published a report detailing the costs and funding of the railways in 2010-11, and the Scottish operating region received the highest funding of 15.6p / km with the lowest average passenger densities of 84 passengers per train and Wessex getting 1.7p / km at 143 average passengers per train.
    Yet more subsidies for Scotland… Come on TJ explain your way out of this 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

<yawn> what’s that sound, oh another englishman whining, nothing new there then. If Alex Salmond promises to put in double glazing to stop that irrirating noise, he gets my vote.

bigjim

you answered your own question with the funding vs passenger densities didn’t you 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Lolz @ Bigbutslimmerbloke

So we can have beautiful things like this

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Scottish train lines harder to access/more prone to weather damage/longer between stations/historically underfunded?

Personally, when I occasionally travel by train to Inverness from Wareham (Wessex region) I’m not really bothered that some bits of the track cost more to maintain than others.

Oh, and apparently they’re considering spending a few quid on the railway between London and Birmingham – maybe that will even things up a bit.

binners

Bloody hell TJ! Where’s that?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

nice pic, and let’s not forget (with nice new viewing platform, probably)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Glenfinnen.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

binners – never seen harry potter? athough i’ve never seen it from that angle

binners

Its nice TJ. And I suppose in some ways it will prepare you for the majesty of the big bridge you’ll be riding under next weekend

Some people find it so breathtaking, they stand dumbfounded at its beauty. Best not to stand there too long though. As we found out, now its no longer in use, the local scrotes find it an ideal platform to hurl both abuse and house bricks from 😀

zokes
    Free Member

Jeezus wept – who used the “heinz tinned spaghetti tomato sauce” filter on that Forth Rail Bridge photo. Some people really shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near Lightroom…

cbike
    Free Member

One of the largest concrete structures made without reinforcing. I think Sir Bob McAlpine was the builder?

duckman

The best bit of Glenfinnan is actually about 4k further on than the viaduct. The wonderful circuit that is the horseshoe. Views right across to the Isles a year past November.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A railway journey everyone should do – one of the worlds great railway journeys

peterfile
    Free Member

So the ORR have published a report detailing the costs and funding of the railways in 2010-11, and the Scottish operating region received the highest funding of 15.6p / km with the lowest average passenger densities of 84 passengers per train and Wessex getting 1.7p / km at 143 average passengers per train.
    Yet more subsidies for Scotland… Come on TJ explain your way out of this

Post a link to the report and I’ll do my best to explain how railway infrastructure/rolling stock funding in the UK works.

In the UK, I act for DfT, TfL, TS, numerous ITAs/PTEs, a handful of train operating companies, ROSCOs and infrastructure/RS funders. I sit on the other side of Network Rail on a daily basis and spent 3 years making representations on behalf of numerous entities to the ORR in respect of third party investment in the UK rail network.

So I should be able to answer your question, but I’m hungover from a Burns Supper last night, so finding the will power might be difficult. 🙂

This diagram is a very simplistic view of the funding flow going into CP4, I can explain each individial aspect if you like, it’s not very interesting though 🙂

irc

Ticket booked for 10th April. A 5 hour railway journey for £15,. Bargain, and a nice way to start a mini tour.

I’m looking at ferry to Skye, back off at the small ferry to Glenelg – Kinlochourn – Great Glen – Corrieyairick – Minigaig – Blair Atholl.

Undecided where to then. Train home if the weather is bad. Maybe Glen Tilt if it’s good weather and finish along the south Glen Dee Rd to Aberdeen or over Mt Keen and go to Montrose. Choices choices …

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’d include from Glasgow in that, Loch Lomond, Glen Orchy, Rannoch Moor, Ballachulish, then on to the Glenfinnan Arisaig Mallaig section from Fort Bill.

peterfile
    Free Member

Sainsburys are doing a deal at the moment where you can travel anywhere in Scotland by rail for £17 return when you buy stuff (I’ve got loads of the vouchers now just from picking up a few beers on a Friday night!).

aracer
    Free Member

one of the worlds great railway journeys

How does it compare to the Glacier Express (which does spirals to climb up the mountains to St Moritz)?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dunno aracer as I have not done that one but it is often included in the lists of great train journeys. the west highland line is a real treat – I love using it.

For example its included on here
    http://www.greatrail.com/train-journeys-of-the-world.aspx

CaptJon
    Free Member

aP – Member
    Yet more subsidies for Scotland… Come on TJ explain your way out of this

Presumably you’ve never looked at a map of Scotland?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Scottish railways receive highest government funding – why?

Because we are worth it?

martinhutch

The extra dosh mainly pays for the Hogwarts Express.

igm

Aracer – is that the one that goes up from the Italian side via Poschiavo? That one certainly spirals.

If so it’s quite nice too.

Edit: close but different Clicky

ojom
    Free Member

Cause ‘Big Men’ need paying.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Sainsburys are doing a deal at the moment where you can travel anywhere in Scotland by rail for £17 return when you buy stuff (I’ve got loads of the vouchers now just from picking up a few beers on a Friday night!).

It’s £19 return on a £15 spend And 1 voucher lets you buy 2 tickets – cheers for that

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The extra dosh mainly pays for the Hogwarts Express.

and worth every penny

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

PS, link mentions Arisaig, no pics, so here’s one

irc, you might want to jump off the train at Morar and add a trip round Arissaig to your trip, it’ll only be an extra 10-15 miles butif it’s a nice day, you’ll be glad you did

sas
    Free Member

I presume this is the report?
    http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/upload/pdf/nrt-yearbook-2010-11.pdf

Section 6.2 covers Government support. It’s not clear to me whether the subsidy per passenger includes investment in infrastructure and maintenance (e.g. Crossrail).

njee20
    Free Member

West Highland Line’s different to the Rhaetian Bahn, all of which is a stunning feat of engineering! Better experienced on the standard RhB trains rather than the Glacier Express proper IMO – the windows open, so you can have a proper look.

Both worth doing!

Edit: nice viaducts in Switzerland too:

aracer
    Free Member

Better experienced on the standard RhB trains rather than the Glacier Express proper IMO – the windows open, so you can have a proper look.

I’ve only ever been on the normal trains – cheapest and easiest way to get to the Engadine after flying to Zurich – but thought the Glacier Express the easiest way to describe it. The coolest thing is the train served toboggan run (not ever done it, but watched out of the window).

stevewhyte
    Free Member

cbike – Member
    One of the largest concrete structures made without reinforcing.

Best not mention the Hoover dam then!

Come on English i know your all nothing like as ignorant as aP, but he really does show you all up in a bad light.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Scottish railways receive highest government funding – why?’ is closed to new replies.