• This topic has 43 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Schumachers injury caused by Go-Pro
  • cookeaa

It’s interesting as far as it goes.

I mean in terms of a gopro and it’s mounting hardware presenting a increased risk of penetrative damage to the helmet’s shell, well lumps of plastic are probably way down the scale when compared to other objects (Rocks for example) which a helmet could be reasonably expected to strike. If anything the adhesive fixed Base of a gopro mount would probably act as a load spreading device applying the impact force over a couple of square inches rather than a point loading.

As for the rotational injury theory, that may hold some merit, only Schumacher’s injuries have consistently been reported as the result of a blunt impact trauma with a rock. Why after all these months would his doctors suddenly realise that they were dealing with a rotational injury not the results of direct impact?

“oh shite his brain was fine all along, why didn’t we check his neck sooner?”

It’s just some vague notional idea turned into a speculative article to give technophobes some shite to harp on about…

Gopro didn’t smack his head in gravity an a rock did FFS!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

This was a rumour weeks ago.

A go pro could with direct impact penetrate a helmet and cause a depressed fracture and brain injury. I’ve skied with a contour hd on the side of my lid and had at least one fall where I noticed the camera applying pressure.

And I’d be interested in what helmet manufacturers say about safety of helmet mount cameras.

But actually, in this case, we need facts not speculation. Nor denial of the possibility.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

The source speaks.

kcr
    Free Member

Can’t comment on Gopros or Schumacher’s case, but I tried a helmet mounted light for the first time last week (Solarstorm mounted on a half section of plastic pipe over a bridge between two vents, secured with the standard elastic mount).

This creates a nice metal stress concentrator which could focus the impact in a localised spot if I hit the ground the wrong way (or I guess even punch through the helmet if I was really unlucky). I know I’m very unlikely to experience that sort of accident, but it does make me think about sticking to handlebar mounting.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Schumachers injury caused by Go-Pro’ is closed to new replies.