• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ndg.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Rotor direction, well one is wrong..
  • Wally

Some weak rear braking has made me look at them a bit more closely and it appears I have installed the rear the wrong way. Thanks for advice.

scaredypants

I’d be surprised if it made a difference

I tried both ways when I had squeaky brakes and nothing altered, feel, power, noise, talent 🙁

(are they original minis ?)

16stonepig
    Free Member

Yes, looks like the back is the wrong way around

spooky_b329

Agree, rear is on wrong.

There is probably a small arrow etched into the rotor near the bolts, but as its on backwards its probably sitting against the hub.

scaredypants

what difference do you think it’ll make to braking though ?

(when were they last bled, might the pads be contaminated ?)

brakes
    Free Member

the part of the rotor spoke furthest from the centre should be leading

Wally

Got spare pads, will do a fresh bleed with old pads in, Isopropyl rotors and calipers and let dry and then put in new pads and find a hill. Reverse rear rotor. Thanks.

crazy-legs

I ran my old Mini’s the “wrong” way round for years and it made no difference to the feel or power. The shop installed them originally and they were one of the very first sets available to buy so I just assumed the dhop knew what they were doing! It was only when I fitted new wheels a couple of years later I found the direction arrows on the rotors. Correct way is as shown in the front rotors in your pics.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

It won’t make any difference on the bike, but the wrong way puts the spokes of the rotor under some tension rather than compression, so they’re more likely to fail.

scaredypants

spokes fail under tension do they ? 😯

schmiken

+1 Paul, using lighter rotors backwards makes them more likely to fail – probably when you need them most! There are pics about of an Ashima failing this way.

schmiken

pants – rotors are designed to work under compression, spokes are designed differently to work under tension. They’re not the same!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Nothing could possibly go wrong running a rotor the wrong way?

Especially when a manufacturer accidentally / stupidly prints the arrow pointing the wrong way. 😉 TBF – probably combined with light weight / thin rotors.

I’m referring to a recentish post on here about a manufacturing error for these rotors that had the same problem but I was possibly lucky.

Search on here for ashima face plant (and more photos elsewhere). I will try and resurrect the photos. Once these rotors were fitted the right way they seemed fine.

#Edit – photos:

scaredypants

god, those ashima things are made out of air !

I’d be astonished if Wally’s (now invisible) ones did the same

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

Most rotors have small arrows on them to point the right direction just like tyre`s 🙂

29erKeith
    Free Member

Correct Chris_mbuk. But!!!!
    Ashima printed a batch the with it printed the wrong way round! 😯

I’ve got two from that batch and ran them the wrong way for a while until a mate pointed it out and I swapped ’em round. They’re still going and I’ve not died, yet 😉

nickjb
    Free Member

They thought they were right, turns out they were wrong. Ashima’s science bit:

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I have my tension/compression the wrong way around. (I ahd the braking force in the other direction for some reason!) They fail under compression because there’s nothing to stop the compression causing the spoke to bend sideways. I think they have to be very light and hot for it to be a major worry, but better to have them on right in the first place.

ndg
    Free Member

Have you changed your rear pads recently? The front disc on my hope mini’s is slightly dished from use and the new pads have taken an age to bed in, with poor braking levels while it’s been doing so. Really need some new discs!

ndg
    Free Member

Well having posted that I need new discs, I came across this thread to double check the direction for my christmas present rotors (not marked on five bolt hopes apparently) – thanks father christmas!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Rotor direction, well one is wrong..’ is closed to new replies.