Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Rose Pro DX Cross – talk to me
  • GrahamS

So, following my previous thread about CX bikes I’ve taken a look at Rose Bikes, as several people suggested I do.

Blimey they seem really quite good value for money don’t they?

I’m strangely drawn to the Pro DX Cross. Looks good, unfussy decals and internal routing, and seems to fit my requirements nicely.

There are couple of variants available, all based on the same 7005 CX frame and carbon fork:

ROSE PRO DX Cross 4400 compact (£1370)
    – SRAM Force groupset
    – Mavic Crossride Disc wheels
    – Avid BB7s on 160mm discs
    – Rose carbon seatpost
    – Ritchey Evo-Curve WCS bars
    – Claimed weight: 8.75kg

ROSE Pro DX Cross 3000 compact (£1370)
    – Shimano Ultegra groupset
    – Mavic Crossride Disc wheels
    – Shimano CX75 on 160mm discs
    – Rose carbon seatpost
    – Ritchey Evo-Curve WCS bars
    – Claimed weight: 9.1kg

ROSE PRO DX Cross 2000 compact (€1345 / ~£1114)
    – Shimano 105 groupset
    – Rose CR1900 Disc wheels
    – Avid BB7s on 160mm discs
    – FSA SL-K SB20 carbon seatpost
    – FSA Wing Pro Compact bars
    – Claimed weight: 9.2kg

What sayeth the panel? Seem like good specs for the price.

They are all compacts, not triples, with 50/34 upfront with “12-25 or your own choice” at the back so I’m thinking I’d spec a nice wide range cassette (e.g. a 12-32 on a 50/34 crank would actually give more range than a standard triple I believe)

The Force one looks interesting for the weight, but I’m not sure about the DoubleTap shifting.

The Ultegra one sounds good, but I think I’d prefer BB7s and I’m not sure if the Ultegra deral lets you run low-geared cassettes?

The 105 is probably all I honestly need, and is cheaper, though I’d probably want to swap the OEM rims out for the Mavics which would hopefully bring the weight down a bit.

Any other observations?

Oh and stealth black or look-at-me shiny white?

bajsyckel

Just checking in on this thread. I’m in a similar position to you and haven’t found many reviews online. I’ve been reading a few German mags and sites which have short reviews, which view the Rose cross bikes favourably. None particularly in depth or detail though.

Basically I’ve decided to buy a complete bike rather than build up a frame after selling my old cx as I can’t get the same value with a full build on a kinesis pro 6 frame. I’ve narrowed it down to the Merida CX 4 and the Rose with 105. Pros to the merida is it’s available from a reasonably local shop and is a bit cheaper. German reviews/blog comments are decent for that too. Pros for the Rose is they look great (either colour), have a better spec. and are significantly lighter (some German sites had the weight slightly lower than the claimed weight and they tend to be pretty anal). Wouldn’t mind some comments from anyone with first-hand experience though…

cp

You’ll need to replace the rear mech with an mtb 9 speed on the shimano ones if you want to run a 11-32 cassette. If you go for the SRAM one, you’ll need a wi-fli rear mech.

Choose SRAM or Shimano then how much you’re willing to pay!

(personally I’d go for the 2000 version).

cp

ooo, nice how you can spec sizes of bars, stem etc.. when ordering. very nice.

lazybike
    Free Member

They are all compacts

the chainset in the photo doesn’t look like a compact….sorry no 1st hand experience, but they do look great value..

cp

the chainset in the photo doesn’t look like a compact

the specs do list them as compacts though

GrahamS

the chainset in the photo doesn’t look like a compact…

They all come in double (46/36) or compact (50/34) options, so I suspect the photo is the double.

The online catalogue has a bit more detail:
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/content/catalogue/online-catalogue (page 144 of the Bikes catalogue)

GrahamS

You’ll need to replace the rear mech with an mtb 9 speed on the shimano ones if you want to run a 11-32 cassette.

Doesn’t the medium cage (GS) deral for Ultegra or 105 allow for an 11-32 ?

cp

nope – only goes up to 28 I think

EDIT – yep, 28

tang
    Free Member

It’s a + of £50 for the compact 105 on the 2000. I think that is as per your pricing up there. Otherwise it’s a cx chainset and mech. Don’t rose do a bike builder thing where you can pick and mix your own choice?

maxlite
    Free Member

If you are riding more road go for the compact but if its primary off road I’d run 46/36.

I’d go for the 2000…..cross real chews up parts go for the cheaper end!

GrahamS

Don’t rose do a bike builder thing where you can pick and mix your own choice?

They don’t seem to. Some times they offer a selection of different groupsets (but not on these CX bikes) and you can specify various sizes (bars, cranks etc), stem flip and brake-handedness once you place it in your basket.

They do seem open to changing stuff as each bike is built up in-house so I suspect changes can be negotiated.

I’m thinking the 105 kit with the Mavic rim might be good enough for me. But sounds like I’d need a MTB deral to take a big cog 🙁

GrahamS

If you are riding more road go for the compact but if its primary off road I’d run 46/36.

I’d go for the 2000…..cross real chews up parts go for the cheaper end!

Road, lane and bridlepath off-road. Got the MTB for anything more off-road than that.

Won’t be doing any real cross on it – mainly commuting, the odd road ride (maybe even a sportive) and a big road ride with my mates (see first thread).

lazybike
    Free Member

I have 46/36 on my caadx with a 12/28 block…there are times on group rides when it feels a bit low…sprints for the cafe, downhills etc. Looking at grahams original thread I can understand his gearing dilema…solved with a triple?

cp

34 x 28 gives a very low ratio, so I wouldn’t worry too much about changing to a 11-32 cassette. See if you can spec a xx-28 cassette from new, and if not, just pop one on yourself when you get it and see how you get on. If it’s not low enough, you can always change later.

lazybike
    Free Member

According to Sheldon, 34×28 gives you 5.9mph at 60rpm…I’d think that would be low enough..

alwillis

Happy Rose cross bike owner here!! Got mine back in September, raced a few times, done some long on/off road rides and spotives etc. I think it’s great! I have the ally one with cantis ( can’t remember the model number). Got ultegra everything apart from the shimano cross chain set 36/46 I think. At the moment it is my road bike with slicks on, as good as any road bike I can afford I recon.

The downsides- it is my first cross bike, so nothing to compare it to, and my only complaint is that the paint isn’t the thickest, make sure you helitape before racing in the mud- I have the black/red option.

alwillis

Double post.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Obviously get the one I linked you to with the Force groupset because it functions better than shimano and its lighter.

cheers_drive

105 and do a upgrade via the congurator on the wheels

GrahamS

Obviously get the one I linked you to with the Force groupset because it functions better than shimano and its lighter.

Do you get on okay with the DoubleTap shifters?

Don’t think there is a “configurator” unless I missed something. Though I suppose I could do it the old fashioned way and just ask them 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Do you get on okay with the DoubleTap shifters?

Don’t think there is a “configurator” unless I missed something. Though I suppose I could do it the old fashioned way and just ask them

Some people cant get on with them, I dont know why.

I think they’re great because there’s only one lever to change the gears with. You dont have to push the whole brake lever across. You can change gears whilst braking. The levers are a nicer shape (subjective). The hoods are a nicer shape (subjective). The hoods are shorter so for the same reach I can run a longer stem which a. looks more pro and b. gives my knees a bit more bar clearance when climbing out of the saddle.

If you’ve got the money, then get the best you can afford.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Also, the 11-28 cassette will be fine (or a 12-27 might be preferable for less big gap between 5th and 6th)

GrahamS

Hmm.. our trip involves over 5000ft climbing on the first day and at least one mate has a triple.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

5000ft of climbing? Is that alot? I’m not sure what the most Ive ever done in a day is. I think the Fred Whitton has 12000ft so probably that, although some of the Cols in the alps are about 5000ft a piece.

Perhaps 5000ft sounds like alot, but you’ll probably breeze it. Its the steepness of the hills that you need the easier gears for, rather than the length.

cp

5000ft isn’t a great deal at all on a road bike. Don’t worry about triples and mega low gearing, honestly, you’ll be fine with a standard compact chainset and 28 at the back.

Unless you’re hauling a trailer or something stupid heavy.

GrahamS

Okay, 5000ft over 67 miles DOES sound a lot to me but I’m not a roadie and the most I normally ride is my 11 mile commute which is about 500ft of climbing.

I figured 5000ft over 67 miles is a average rate of 75 ft/mile, which is more than double the 34ft/mile of Etape Caledonia.

Which made me worry! 😕

We’ll be carrying gear in panniers, but just basics cos it is a credit card tour.

Bez

I’m very much liking the Randonneur version (apart from the substandard mudguards)… not far off my ideal bike.

http://www.roseversand.com/article/rose-pro-dx-cross-3000-randonneur-compact/aid:611492

bajsyckel

Graham – I dunno you or your route (post it up!), but up in the NW and along the north coast there is very little flat. Most stuff is undulating, sustained gentle climbs or short steep bursts. And windy. I’ve dragged a trailer loaded with two people’s climbing and camping gear around most of the roads up there and I would have liked lower than std gearing occasionally. Riding the same roads unladen is great whatever gears you use so don’t go for anything crazy low just for the tour you have planned.

It’s ideal touring country really and the cross bike will be ideal for little impromptu sojourns to beaches and hills just off the road using little tracks that the others might feel the need to push their expensive road bikes down – enjoy…

paul4stones

Won’t be doing any real cross on it – mainly commuting, the odd road ride (maybe even a sportive) and a big road ride with my mates (see first thread).

Hmmm. I’m fairly sure that’s what I said. 4 three peaks cx and a few local ‘cross races later . . .

Anyway, a compact would be fine and I normally run 28 on the rear (with old Tiagra 9sp) which is plenty. Steep hill heavily laden may be different but 5000ft is not much over a day. People seem to cope and adapt to SRAM easily and in the mech busting Whickham Thorns cx of October 2011 most of the 30 odd broken ones were shimano or campag. I also use my bike as a road bike and it works fine (Cyclone and 200+ mile tour of Northumberland easily).

GrahamS

Graham – I dunno you or your route (post it up!), but up in the NW and along the north coast there is very little flat.

Alrighty, here’s the current (vague) 3-day plan:

Day 1: Lairg to Kinlochbervie (67 miles)
    Day 2: Kinlochbervie to Durness 18 miles), ferry ride to Cape Wrath for a cup of tea, then ride Durness to Tongue (30 miles)
    Day 3: Tongue back to Lairg (38 miles)

Any possible side jaunts TBD.

I’m sure some folk on here could tackle that in a day, but this will be my first big road ride (though I’ll try to get some miles in before then obviously).

Hmmm. I’m fairly sure that’s what I said. 4 three peaks cx and a few local ‘cross races later . . .

LOL 😀 I’m really not the competitive type – but a few organised group rides would be good I suppose.

The reason I’m drawn to a wider range is that according to Sheldon’s gear page my mates triple (50/39/30 x 12-27t) gives him 30 to 112.5 gear inches.

So running a double at 50/34 x 12-30 would roughly equivalent (30.6 to 112.5)

Bez

34×30 should just about be enough to get you up most things with panniers, provided you don’t pack too much stuff. A long road mech ought to just about cope with a 30 too, I suspect (haven’t actually tried it).

But, one tip: if you use panniers you will pack too much stuff. (Unless you’re doing this in winter, a rack/post/saddle bag should do for a 3-dayer – and they’ll restrict you to only what you need.)

Oh, and, hauling it back to the OP: The 2000, in white. Or the Randonneur.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

nope – only goes up to 28 I think

The 5701 GS version of the 105 rear deraileur will do a 32 cog – I have one on my equilibrium with a compact and a 12/32 cassette – useful for spinning on very steep hills or when sessioning steep hills:

here

cp

they’ve finally done one!

Shame it isn’t listed on the Shimano Europe website..!

GrahamS

But, one tip: if you use panniers you will pack too much stuff. (Unless you’re doing this in winter, a rack/post/saddle bag should do for a 3-dayer

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I already have a nice post bag (Carradice SQR Slim) but I’ve spent weeks specifically looking for a bike with rack mounts so don’t go jinxing me now 😀

Oh, and, hauling it back to the OP: The 2000, in white. Or the Randonneur.

The Randonneur does look cool, but I’m not sure I particularly need a dynamo hub and light.

The 2000 looks okay – all the spec I really need and if I can swap the rims and put a wide-range mech on it’d be perfect – but crucially the 4400 is lighter than my mates road bike so that might swing it 😀

Still torn on the colour: the anodised grey/black looks suitably stealthy, but then a less-stealthy white may be a sensible option on the road. But then the white will look dirty very quickly…

Bez

I already have a nice post bag (Carradice SQR Slim) but I’ve spent weeks specifically looking for a bike with rack mounts so don’t go jinxing me now

Ah, but it’s well worth having rack mounts even if you don’t need them for a 3-dayer.

I’m not sure I particularly need a dynamo hub and light.

I can relate to that. But only as someone who at one point had never previously had a dynohub 😉

GrahamS

Some details on the Randonneur if you are interested.

Based on the 3000 mentioned earlier, with Ultegra groupset and CX75 discs, but a Shimano XT DH-t785 dynamo hub and “Lumotec IQ Cyo RT senso plus LED 40 LUX front light with daytime running light, Toplight Line brake plus reare light with brake light and stand light function, tubus Fly Evo rack”

Claimed weight is 10.2kg

See page 162 of the online catalogue: http://media1.roseversand.de/catalog/gb/bikes_2013/index.html

GrahamS

Just emailed Rose asking about the groupset, deral and delivery time.

Got a reply within minutes:

For sure you can get the new SRAM Force group. Please note that you like to get the new groupset because normally there is still the 2011/2012 group mounted. The change is without extra charge.

Then you can also choose a sprocket with 11-32 and the WiFly rear derailleur.

The delivery time is about 3-4 weeks at the moment.

So top marks for customer service so far! For sure.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

but crucially the 4400 is lighter than my mates road bike so that might swing it

Yeah, now you’re talkin!

Bez

Rose’s customer service is excellent.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Rose Pro DX Cross – talk to me’ is closed to new replies.