• This topic has 26 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Neb.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Rockshox Pike Dual Position Air – worth getting custom tokens for it or not?
  • andylc
    Free Member

So my new bike arrives Saturday, and has 160mm dual position Pikes on it. Did not realise before buying that tokens from Rockshox can’t be fitted to this version of the fork. I can get custom adapted tokens from Maverick suspendion in USA. Wondering if any users can tell me if this is likely to be worth doing? I weigh 65kg and ride aggressively downhill like I guess most people, although up until now have gotten on fine just with a 120mm travel bike.
    Cheers!

sillyoldman

Hadn’t heard about custom tokens – interested!

I’ve got solo air Pikes on one bike and DP ones on another. DP ones are way too linear for my liking, so would be interested to hear about the custom tokens?

Northwind

If the DPAs are set up to ride like the solo airs with no spacers, then I’d definitely be buying the spacers. If they’re set up a bit better, like a solo air with 2 spacers (which is how the bloody things should come from the factory) then it’ll be fine. I’d suspect the former tbh.

But ride ’em, decide! There’s arguably better or worse but it’s not as important as what you like.

andylc
    Free Member

Email ethan@mavericksuspension.com. They make a kit with instructions for fitting up to 3 tokens for the DP air fork. I think they’re just Rockshox tokens with bits cut away but it might be more technical than that.

Raymond

I’ve just bought some DP Pikes from J-Tech and they fit their own custom tokens. I’ve not ridden the fork yet so can’t comment if they work but it might be worth calling them?

sillyoldman

Cool. Emailed him – thanks.

andylc
    Free Member

J-Tech will do this for DPA Pikes at a very reasonable cost. They’re nowhere near me though and didn’t seem keen to send the tokens out so I’ve bought them from Maverick, hopefully they’re easy to fit…

munrobiker
    Free Member

My Dual Positions came with tokens. I don’t run any, because they work fine, but I’d assume that means that they fit, surely?

Superficial
    Free Member

Can you just run some oil in the spring to reduce the volume?

andylc
    Free Member

Crap – if they have changed it and now supply them I have wasted 30 quid! Never mind…

timmys

My Dual Positions came with tokens. I don’t run any, because they work fine, but I’d assume that means that they fit, surely?

Not sure what that’s about as there’s no way they will fit (my dual position didn’t come with them).

In the image below that’s a dual position air chamber on the left and on the right it shows how a token screws into the top cap of a single position air chamber. As you can see there’s no equivalent in the dual position chamber where the token would screw in.

Superficial
    Free Member

My Pikes came with some white/clear plastic spacers with a notch cut out that look suspiciously like they would fit around the shaft in that picture (as well as the standard red ones).

cblair246
    Free Member

Andylc: I’ll take your dual position tokens off your hands if your fork comes with them.

andylc
    Free Member

Ok cblair246 – they’re on the way from usa so I’ll contact you if it turns out I don’t need them!

munrobiker
    Free Member

How odd, mine was one of the first from July 2013 and it came with two red tokens in the bag with the manual.

weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

The dual position shaft should act as a token or 2 because of the extra volume it takes up in the air chamber.

timmys

The dual position shaft should act as a token or 2 because of the extra volume it takes up in the air chamber.

That’s what I’ve always wondered. My suspension expertise isn’t really up to concluding if it really is as simple as that though!

Yetiman
    Free Member

My 29er 150mm DP Pikes were very linear in feel compared to the solo air Pikes that replaced them, a bit like my Fox 34 Floats, so if you can now get custom tokens for them that’s great. I wish they’d been available a year ago.

andylc
    Free Member

Just to update: the Pikes didn’t come with tokens. My tokens from Maverick suspension arrived yesterday, they have a central portion drilled out with 2 o-ring seals, very professionally done and with a full set of fairly simple looking fitting instructions. Hopefully I won’t cock it up! The forks feel fine as they are to be honest but I can tell that they are pretty linear so I think a token or two will help when I’m on bigger downhills.

proutster
    Free Member

Thanks – sounds very interesting, I run my DPA Pikes on the middle setting as the fully-open setting is too linear for me, with too much dive.

So I’ve just sent an e-mail to Ethan as above and will report back when I’ve ordered / they arrive / I’ve ridden etc.

andylc – how long did they take to arrive?

andylc
    Free Member

As per previous post: they arrived yesterday. I have just fitted one & will see what effect that has. It is super easy – the tokens just fit onto the central shaft & are held there by friction caused by the 2 rubber o-rings. Further tokens can screw onto the first as per normal. Presume the air pressure will keep them in place.

proutster
    Free Member

So about a week from ordering?

Anyway, just ordered and paid for some, Ethan seems very quick and efficient to respond to mails so let’s hope he gets them in the post sharpish!

andylc
    Free Member

Yep took about a week. He did slightly underpay on the postage (by 11p according to Royal Mail) so I had to pay a supplement – I’m sure it wasn’t deliberate though!

matther01
    Free Member

Very useful post OP…will be ordering some from maverick too!

sillyoldman

Mine too about a week too. Look forward to trying them, but lent the bike with the offending fork to someone, so don’t have it at hand to fit them….

andylc
    Free Member

As an update – I didn’t think one token made that much difference so I’ve fitted a second. I think I had my PSI slightly low too – was running it at 60 psi (70kg weight including gear) and on steep downhills especially technical stuff it still felt like I was using about 70% or more of the travel even before any bigger hits. We’ll see how 2 tokens works.

Neb

Any more updates or thoughts?

I’ve ordered some tokens and I’m curious to know more!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Pike Dual Position Air – worth getting custom tokens for it or not?’ is closed to new replies.