Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Road bike choice help please- I know nothing
  • scruff
    Free Member

I’ve potentially got a much longer regular commute coming up, currently using an Alfined Roadrat but will want/need some form of proper road bike if the change at work occurs. Will want durable bike, guards and panniers-ride will involve a short but pretty steep climb on the way and the rest long rolling ups or downs, all tarmac.

Dont really need specific models but just things to look out for as I’ve never had a road bike. Ta.

mogrim

I started a thread a while back about sticking panniers etc. on a road bike: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/beam-pannier-racks

Do you plan to use the bike for fun as well, or purely as a commuting machine? If the latter, you probably should look at touring bikes as they’re better set up for commuting.

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

What about a disc equpped Cross bike?
    Like the Genesis Croix de fer or Charge Filter? Both get good reviews.
    Failing that then you could just go for something aluminium…

Edric64
    Free Member

Or an Audax bike

scruff
    Free Member

I cant see the need for a CX bike if its just tarmac, but regarding tourers I appreciate the rolling of a 700c wheelset, so are Audax bikes like a 700c tourer ?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

What’s your budget? I built a Dolan Prefissio for a winter hack. I bought it frame only but they do full builds.

It has pannier braze-ons as well as taking full mudguards.

I was surprised at what a compliant frame it is – a lot of aluminium frames, particularly budget/winter/audax frames can be a bit numb…

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Anything with mud guard eyelets and pannier mounts will do the job. If you’ve got a steep hill to get over and you’re not sure about how easy it will be with heavy luggage etc then a triple chainset is probably a good idea. Anything dubbed as a touring bike would do the trick, or I’m sure you could fit guards and a pannier rack to a sportive bike with a little bit of faff that would work and be a faster if you wanted to ride for fun and go a bit faster.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ll just be carrying food / clothing for work no heavy loads. Budget whatever, would sell the Rat and spend that plus as little as possible on a new bike.

barn
    Free Member

Scruff:

700c audax road bikes are designed for doing long days, big miles at decent pace.
    They’re generally quicker & lighter than tourers with a slightly more ‘focussed’ feel, but nowhere near as ‘committed’ as a full-on road/race bike.
    Mudguards usually come as standard and racks can always be P-clipped if no fittings are brazed on.

You should be able to pick up something 2nd hand for £300… (search for any road bike that comes with full length fitted mudguards).
    You could get a Dolan build (as suggested above) a Tifosi or a Ribble winter/audax for about £600 if you want to buy new.

Steer clear of anything with a 53/39 chainset (gearing won’t be fun on hills with luggage).
    Get something with decent puncture proof tyres (25-28 width).
    Comfy seat (brooks/spoon type).

Buy the best frame you can afford – a good audax is a very versatile bike that will see you through crazy miles of commuting, club runs, sportives, alps trips, light touring!
    A decent set of handbuilt wheels on a good frame can be paired up with some basic running gear like Shimano Sora or Campag Mirage (bought off here).

The below is from SPA cycles looks great if you have a bigger budget: Ti frame with sensible build and even decent tyres for £1500.
    spa cycles – ti audax

theboatman
    Free Member

I used to have panniers on one of these which did me for a 34 mile round trip commute;

I only changed it as I fancied a change.

wallace1492
    Free Member

scruff – Member
    I cant see the need for a CX bike if its just tarmac, but regarding tourers I appreciate the rolling of a 700c wheelset, so are Audax bikes like a 700c tourer ?

My Tricross is perfect for commuting, touring and long days in the saddle. Very versatile, really, do consider a CX, you will not regret it.

kilo

For low cost how about getting the alfine rebuilt onto a decent narow lightweight rim such as an open pro and fitting faster tyres ?

stoney
    Free Member

You could look at the Ribble winter bike. Good value for money and they seem quite popular.

I`m after 1 acually 😉

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Ribble are brilliant if you like doom-blue frames with cheap looking paint jobs, not to mention atrocious customer service! I would never buy a bike off them.

The Dolan seem far better finished – Merlin do them so you can get good discount and aftersales service.

Here’s mine…

scruff
    Free Member

Kilo, the Alfine is fit and forget- great for commuting but it does drag a bit so would get rid for longer distance.

jules.b
    Free Member

I’ve had a good experience with Ribble, but I have a friend who waited months and experienced poor customer service. They are great value.

What about a Giant Defy or SCR? They have lovely light, compliant, 1.5kg frames. They are “sportive bikes”, so a little higher at the front than an out and out race bike. They are equipped with mountings for a pannier rack at the rear and mudguards. (The carbon framed Defy/SCR advanced wont readily take mudguards or panniers).

There is one for sale in the classifieds, not mine.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Road bike choice help please- I know nothing’ is closed to new replies.