Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Beam pannier racks
  • mogrim

Moving to a new office soon, which will be close enough to commute to on a bike 🙂 For this to happen I need some kind of pannier set up – backpacks are a sweaty nightmare, and I’m not massively convinced by messenger bags either (although I’m open to suggestions…)

Problem with using panniers is that my bike doesn’t have rackmounts, which means I’d have to use a beam pannier rack (like this one) Anyone on here had any experience with this kind of model? Are they really stable and solid enough to use on a regular basis?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I have one of them. I found the mount actually very stable never moved. They have sent some time making sure it worked well and it did.

But there other roblems. Thd main one seemed to be that pannier bags flap about as there is no connection at the bottom.

If the bags are too heavy there is a chance of them interfering with the wheels.

There may be some topeak designed bags that work better though.

The other thing is. I brought a straight one as shown above, but if you can buy the one that points down and position as close to the wheel as possible.

It is important to keep your weight as low to the ground as possible.

rootes1

i just think beam racks are a silly idea – especially for heavy loads but lots of people seem to get on with them… though they will never be as good as a proper rack.

You an fit a proper rack to a bike with out mounts using P clips and also you can get seatpost collars than have rack mounts on them.

Also these are good 16litre 3 shapes to choose from, stable, waterproof and unclip quickly.. bit old manish and supply is a bit erratic

Carradice SQR Tour, Trax and Slim

http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=category&category_id=29

you can get a laptop in the slim + shoes etc

mogrim

You an fit a proper rack to a bike with out mounts using P clips and also you can get seatpost collars than have rack mounts on them.

Not considered that, will have a look into it… I assume they’d also be compatible with a road bike?

rootes1

also if you are going to bike all week – get into the habit of taking shirts, pants etc for the whole week in on a monday and take home on friday – they you get 3 ‘light’ days of not carrying as much..

plus leave towel, shower gel etc at work _ emergency pants etc to save going commando when you forgot to bring any

rootes1

Not considered that, will have a look into it… I assume they’d also be compatible with a road bike?

yep –

what bike do you have?

Si

mogrim

what bike do you have?

Cheapo Decathlon Sport 2 – something like this model: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5-id_8167039.html

rootes1

ok cool,

if there are def no eyelets at the drop out ou can a proper rack using either:

P-Clips (all four points – all on the seatstays)

or use a seat clamp rack adapter (a few different makes of makes – M -part, Salsa) at the top and P-clips at the bottom.

of even a axle/QR adapter so the lower part of the rack attaches to the QR.

If you use P-clips get rubber lined steel one. P-clips are cheap.

BUT

would give serious consideration to the Carradice SQR – you get a decent waterproof back and a stable mount – they are 16litre and you can get a lot in – note if you want to take a laptop and/or you have a small frame the ‘slim’ version is the one to go for.

mogrim

would give serious consideration to the Carradice SQR

Cheers for the information, very handy… One doubt, not clear from the photos: How does the SQR fix to the bike? Seat tube + something hanging from the seat?

Edit: seen a better picture on Wiggle, no seat attachment!

Brainflex
    mogrim

That freeload looks great, but 150gbp+the panniers is pretty pricey!

MarkN
    Free Member

I used that beam rack last year and was very surprised how stable it was. As a heads up Tesco had one in that was not very disimilar to that with the side pannier bars. I think it was about £16 all up.

TiRed

I have the M-Part adaptor on my Kona Paddy Waggon and it works a treat with a compact frame. In fact you would not notice it is there. Comes in two sizes. Mines for a 27.2 seat tube. My frame has eyelets for mudguards only.

I’ve also used a Topeak Beamrack, but not carried full panniers.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Beam pannier racks’ is closed to new replies.