Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Right… who's got a white car?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

After 12 years of owning the same [actual] car it’s prob time for a change.
    Mrs SB and the 3 baitlets (all girls) tell me I should get a white car as they are ‘cool’. I, on the other hand, can only remember my mums new white Vauxhall Viva many years ago. I’d rather have a gunmetal grey or something like that.
    Not sure whether it makes a difference or not but it’s a ‘big’ car [current car is an XC90] that would attract huge flaming on here and I’d be keeping it at least 3-4 years.

How can I persuade them that I’m right and they’re wrong (other than it’s my money and my choice)?

onandon
    Free Member

Recession white.
    I’ve got two white cars. I like white cars 🙂

Yep, but you have to de-chrome it and paint the wheels black 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve head two. Never again. ALWAYS filthy. It always reminds me of commercial vehicles as well…..

EDIT
    That said, ANYTHING Is better than the silver/grey/lookslikesilverorgrey modern disease.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Because I’m a cheapskate who didn’t want to pay for an AC (and the running cost) I chose white.

john_drummer
    Free Member

My first three were white. When it was not cool.
    Since then I’ve had red, silver, black, black, blue and am about to get another black one.
    They all show the dirt but freshly cleaned black looks best IMHO

With the possible exception of Ford, I think White is one of the few colours that don’t cost extra new

chewkw
    Free Member

White is the new cool. I like!

😀

DezB
    Free Member

When I bought my Audi 80 Coupe back in the day, white was the cheapest colour. Quite trendy now it’s been the colour of choice in adverts.
    As PP says though, at least it wasn’t grey like my Mondeo. But that’ll be gone on Friday … for a big black car.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m going for white next, partly because I reckon (which is sufficient evidence) that it’s the best at hiding scratches, but mostly because it shouldn’t end up with the impossible to remove sunscreen based children’s hand prints that my current car has all over it.

It’s also, apparently, the safest colour. Apparently.

Tracey

We have two white ones, I think both look cool. A pearlescent Peugeot 308 cc and a Fiat 500

Houns

White = Chav

Stand out from the sheep and get something different

matt_outandabout

That said, ANYTHING Is better than the silver/grey/lookslikesilverorgrey modern disease.

This.
    Sadly I drive a Tarmac grey car. Secondhand history and the right car trumps colour. 😐

jimmy

My friends have a word for white cars. Much like Apple White, or Almond White, only it’s named after a lady’s part beginning with C.

withersea
    Free Member

White fiesta metal here, black wheels and a big spoiler, mountune exhaust. Almost chav like, but I love it! Actually my wife chose it!

Legoman
    Free Member

White’s a bit… erm… Essex, no?
    Just ordered mine in gun metal grey (only cos the wife said we can’t have 2 black cars)

Forgetting for a minute that most STW’ers hate my vehicles….

Old white ‘big 4X4’

Current gunmetal ‘big 4×4’

[url=https://flic.kr/p/p3e2du]Untitled[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

bearnecessities

Houns – Racist
    White = Chav

That “chav” label is sooo 2011. 😉

White can actually be quite pleasant as a car colour. Yes, my current wheeled-jobbie is white, but all I can advise is that it’s a bastard to keep clean. It does stop you from accidentally brushing against the car in your car, when you realise what crap is on there after 100miles.

I sit in inside lane at 70, only overtaking when needed to overtake an eco-twit driving at 56mph. The chavs presently are weaving into the inside lane when they’ve slowed down, no matter what colour their car is, or make.

matt_outandabout

I hear white gold is the next in thing..

davosaurusrex

About 5 years too late to be cool with a white car.

metalheart
    Free Member

I was told that White is the thinnest paint so avoid…..

Just saying.

ElShalimo

White Octavia Estate (company car), so I’m very STW
    It’s constantly dirty from M62 grime but I’ve found the solution, just don’t bother washing it.

rascal
    Free Member

I’ve always wanted a white car.
    The Golf GT I bought in October is white.
    It looks brill – though very dirty – got the M1 to thank for that.
    I was told by a work colleague that white wasn’t cool anymore before I bought it.
    I told him I couldn’t give a shit.
    The only colours I wouldn’t have had are silver (dull and 10 a penny) and red (just crap).

sharkbait
    Free Member

That said, ANYTHING Is better than the silver/grey/lookslikesilverorgrey modern disease

Aww rats….. black then! Although I might not have a choice as I’m buying used and there’s not a massive choice.

matt_outandabout

Vajazzle car?

simmy
    Free Member

My Fiesta is white and the last one was.

I love cleaning Cars so I chose that colour 😉

But seriously it could do with a wash every Day at this time of year. I’m doing about 120 miles a Day and by that time is filthy.

It’s a lease Car so White is easy to get scratches out of and to make look decent when it goes back. That for me wins everytime over the pearlescent brown / black Fiesta I had a while back that scratched if you looked at it…..

jools182
    Free Member

Very popular in Cheshire 😉

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Yes I have a ‘chav’ white car. I have always liked white cars (perhaps from having a poster of a white Testerossa as a boy) and since work are changing it every 18 months i thought why not, it’s not like I have to keep it. It’s turned grime grey over winter, that’s why not.

…and I live in Cheshire…
    …and it’s a BMW…

Greybeard
    Free Member

I was told that White is the thinnest paint so avoid…..

I was told the opposite – a colleague visited the Vauxhall factory and was told (and saw) that the metal shows through the white and so all white cars go through the paint shop twice, so have thicker paint and better protection. He was also told that all manufacturers do this. But it’s all hearsay so could be totally wrong.

igm

Grey and silver are a bit common and very 2000s.

The wotld has moved on.

chewkw
    Free Member

My next car will have Carwrap Glow in the Dark like this so you should better see me coming and give way … 😆

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fjaWtduAV0[/video]

edit: grey is the ugliest of all colours in such dull weather …

unknown
    Free Member

Caring what colour your car is automatically makes it uncool.

bearnecessities

It does stop you from accidentally brushing against the car in your car suit

Just to correct my typo 🙂

Anyhow, it’s just a colour choice people. It’s how you behave on the road that really matters. 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

unknown – Member

I like glow in the dark colour because there many who drive blind day or night so I rather they see me than be cool or uncool. 😀

I am too cool to be uncool and to uncool to be cool … 😆 (all of you may quote me on that …)

nemesis
    Free Member

I buy silver cars just because I know it winds up PP 😉

buy the colour you like or otherwise if you really don’t care, like me, just buy what’s easy to sell on. White as stated above is a bit old hat now I reckon.

Attempting to be cool by pretending you don’t care about being cool isn’t really that cool either

br
    Free Member

White cars don’t show the dirt as much as most other colours – when I worked for an aggregate company those who worked at the quarries had to have white company cars. PR for local residents so we didn’t have dirty looking vehicles.

yourmywifenow
    Free Member

Mines white but it’s a van is that a double chav or does one cancel out the other?

unknown
    Free Member

Attempting to be cool by pretending you don’t care about being cool isn’t really that cool either

My car history is a pretty good demonstration that I really don’t give a crap about being cool! The last car I bought (in 2014) was a 1.3 Peugeot 309 (in red, not sure if that makes it cool), my wife drives a Dacia and I’m seriously considering a Toyota Auris estate as my next company car.

bikebouy
    Free Member

FIFY

dazz
    Free Member

my last couple of cars have been white, new one will be black because it’s a no cost, option unlike white now it’s cool. I bought white because: it was cheaper, “looks” cleaner for longer & hides the scratches better.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Right… who's got a white car?’ is closed to new replies.