Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Removing cable guides from a steel frame, dremel?
  • wishiwascalledsteve

Hi all,
    i've got a Cove Sanchez DJ frame that i want to remove the gear cable guides as i'm only going to run it singlespeed. Is it ok to cut these off and grind smooth with a dremel. will this affect the heat treating and weaken the frame?
    Cheers

Sam

cut them off carefully with a dremel, take it slow and be careful not to damage the tube itself and it'll be fine.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I cut em off my DMR and found the best way was to leave a bit of excess and then file them down by hand

the-muffin-man

Before you grind them off it might be worth thinking about future value of the frame if you ever decide to sell it.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

i got a big file and filed the ones off my inbred. I tihnk what davidtaylforth said is the best way of doing it.

Im awful with a file aswell and the frame is still fine 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Before you grind them off it might be worth thinking about future value of the frame if you ever decide to sell it.

I dont think any potentially buyers would ever consider running gears on one of those frames anyway.

Andy-R

Cut them off with a hacksaw, leaving 1mm proud and finish off with a file.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Don't use a hacksaw, cant get in straight enough IME, I made a nice grove in my fixie frame, doesnt seem to have been structural, but pisses me off whenever I see it.

Dremmel very carefully or file and paitience.

Andy-R

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Don't use a hacksaw, cant get in straight enough IME,

It all depends on whether you can use a hacksaw properly or not – I've removed plenty of cable stops and canti mounts this way and never found a problem 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Removing cable guides from a steel frame, dremel?’ is closed to new replies.